Stuck clutch, sprocket cover

• Throttlejockey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jun 2016 15:07 #730041 by Throttlejockey
Stuck clutch, sprocket cover was created by Throttlejockey
Hey guys im at my wits end with this thing just picked up a 1982 750 twin and the shift lever BARELY moves its so stiff it took forever to get it into nuetral. So first thing first i got it home and was going to remove that cover so i can start working my way into to find the stiff lever issue, i cannot for the life od me get the cover off all bolts are out and i can get the top to start coming off but the bottom will not come off the shift shaft. And ideas ?? I really dont wanna break the cover! Thanks in advance and excited to be a part of a new group. This is my second old kawi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Jun 2016 15:34 #730044 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Stuck clutch, sprocket cover
A pic will help. Had it been sitting long? There are two seals on the shaft. One inside and one outside. See if you can spray Liquid Wrench or equiv. in there and try to free the lever. It being stuck tells me it won't come off until it's free.
Steve

• Throttlejockey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jun 2016 16:16 #730050 by Throttlejockey
Replied by Throttlejockey on topic Stuck clutch, sprocket cover
I believe it sat for a couple years, so you think first put the lever back on and get it loosned up before i can get the cover off??
Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Jun 2016 16:33 #730053 by SWest
Will the bottom of that cover move at all? If yes. I'd take a claw hammer or pry bar, apply a little pressure while tapping on the shaft. I don't mean BANG ON IT, just enough to get it to move. Wnen water gets into places with aluminum and steel, It creates a white powder that almost welds things together. Impact driver for screws.
Steve

Attachments:

• Throttlejockey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jun 2016 17:02 #730056 by Throttlejockey
When i pull the top off the cover out and try and get the bottom the only movement the bottom does is move the shaft as well, i tried getting a crows foot on there and prying and tapping the shaft with a rubber mallet with no luck

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Jun 2016 17:20 - 04 Jun 2016 17:21 #730058 by SWest
Use penitrating oil. I'd use a hammer on the end of the shaft.
Steve
Last edit: 04 Jun 2016 17:21 by SWest.

• Throttlejockey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jun 2016 17:43 #730061 by Throttlejockey
Thanks ill give it a whirl and post when i get it, any thoughts on the shaft its self being so stiff to shift?? Same issue just crud im hoping?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Jun 2016 17:51 #730063 by SWest
If it won't slide out, it won't turn for SHT. Be careful not to pound on it too much. :dry:
Steve

More
04 Jun 2016 18:24 #730071 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Stuck clutch, sprocket cover
ThrottleJ,

I ran into similar problems with KZombie's case covers. Spray some LW or even PB (my personal fave) into all the four cover screw holes. On my bikes (440, 550 and 650 so far) at least two of those bolts have a shuffle pin that is made of steel and these I have found tend to oxidize well into the alloy case.
Spray the shift shaft too of course but then leave it sit over night and allow the oil to soak in. Spray it as many times as you think of it over a few hours or night.
I was able to gently tap the case cover while prying it from below (but seriously use best judgement as to how much pressure you apply or tap with) and eventually the case cover let go for me.

Last thing. You may wanna use your phone as a scope of sorts and see if you can snap a pic of the inside of this case cover from below/back to see if there's anything weird going on "behind the scene" :)

• Throttlejockey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jun 2016 18:58 #730083 by Throttlejockey
Welp crap, bad news the cover broke, broke around the shift shaft so i guess it will be easier to get the damn thing off now, however good news is just wiggling the shift shaft back and forth forever REALLy loosned it up so that is a big relief, now im off to ebay! Thanks for the help though guys, wrenchmonkey i think you may have hit the nail on the head with the shuffle pin i think thats all that is holding me back now. Ill have to wait till tomorrow to get back at it ( just had surgery today but couldnt wait ) ill keep ya posted

• Throttlejockey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jun 2016 19:07 #730089 by Throttlejockey
Side note....im guessing an LTD 4 banger cover would be different? Do you guys know of any other bikes are interchangable for that part? Thanks in advance

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Jun 2016 19:13 #730091 by SWest