KZ 550 C

More
31 May 2016 03:29 #729308 by trojan
KZ 550 C was created by trojan
There is loud ticking noise comming from the valve area. It dissapears completely in a couple of minutes when the engine warms up a little. I set the walws but the problem remains. Any thoughts?

Oh...i cranked the engine with the valve cover and there is a little blow bi past exhaust valves to the cam shaft area-i can feel little puffs if i put my hand near exhaust cam... Engine starts and runs fine (except for the ticking when cold).

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 May 2016 06:31 #729322 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic KZ 550 C
If the valve guides and seals are worn out, they can let exhaust gasses past them and cook the springs. How many miles on the bike?
Steve

More
31 May 2016 08:16 - 31 May 2016 08:25 #729336 by trojan
Replied by trojan on topic KZ 550 C
Not sure. I´d say oround 20-30k... The motorcycle doesn´t smoke badly... Oh... and when the valve noise stops the gases keep escaping...
Last edit: 31 May 2016 08:25 by trojan.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 May 2016 09:47 #729352 by SWest

More
31 May 2016 11:13 - 31 May 2016 11:13 #729362 by trojan
KZ 550 Ltd, 1980
Last edit: 31 May 2016 11:13 by trojan.

More
01 Jun 2016 10:37 #729507 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic KZ 550 C
On my ph here...
The exhaust puffing... doesn't that model have the emissions reed valves in cyl.head cover?
If cover is off then there are open ports from exhaust to atmosphere. You'd feel exhaust puffing...

Have you adjusted your valves & synchronized the carbs yet? I bet most of that noise goes away...

Lets see some pics! B)

trojan wrote: There is loud ticking noise comming from the valve area. It dissapears completely in a couple of minutes when the engine warms up a little. I set the walws but the problem remains. Any thoughts?

Oh...i cranked the engine with the valve cover and there is a little blow bi past exhaust valves to the cam shaft area-i can feel little puffs if i put my hand near exhaust cam... Engine starts and runs fine (except for the ticking when cold).

Thanks!

More
02 Jun 2016 07:36 #729646 by trojan
It doesn´t have reed valve - european version. The valves are in specs..ok nr.1 exhaust valve is a little tight. But new rubber plugs (half moon shaped things) and gasket didn´t arrive yet. Could this be the reason for ticking?

More
02 Jun 2016 07:47 #729649 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic KZ 550 C
Hmmm? :huh:

I'm really not able to figure out how you can feel any exhaust gas puffing in the camshaft area unless your valve stem seals are completely worn out too? It's an unusual condition for sure.
Based on the clicking sound "goes away when warmed up"; I'd be inclined to think you had a valve lash that is on the high-side of spec and once warmed up it's closing enough to eliminate that sound of the clicking but you said "ok. nr.1 exhaust valve is a little tight..." and this would suggest it's not a too-loose situation.

I reckon it's going to take one of the 550 gurus here to work it out man. Hopefully, Loudhvx will have an idea.

More
03 Jun 2016 06:46 #729801 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ 550 C
If you ran with the valve cover off, the air injection ports are fully open. The valve cover is different, but the head is the same. They all have the ports.

The us valve cover routes the ports to the reeds. The EU valve cover blocks the ports. They are exposed if you remove the cover. The gasket may or may not cover them. You might feel puffs from under the gasket, or they might have exposed holes.