kz550 Engine Bore? or new cylinder head?

• thejameswilliam
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 May 2016 20:46 #729177 by thejameswilliam
kz550 Engine Bore? or new cylinder head? was created by thejameswilliam
Hey all! Just bought a new kz550, got it home only to find it had been missing a single spark plug for who knows how long. Well, I've got the engine torn apart and there is a boat load of rust in that cylinder (pitted as well). I've heard of boring out the cylinder to fix that problem. Does anyone have experience in doing this? Is is better to simply get a new cylinder block? Will I run into problems down the road? Also, if I get a new cylinder block I've got to match up the pistons as well, right? :blink:

kz550
thejameswilliam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 May 2016 20:49 #729178 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic kz550 Engine Bore? or new cylinder head?
There's a member that is selling engine parts. Lots on eBay too.
Steve

More
30 May 2016 01:59 #729188 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic kz550 Engine Bore? or new cylinder head?
Great effort to save another KZ from dying on the vine and it's a 550 to boot! B)

I'm going through a similar effort right now with a KZ which sat in an open field for decades too. Thankfully it had all the spark plugs left in it. It's been my experience thus far that if water got into a cylinder and rusted it then the same water went past the rings and into the case and rusted it down there too. So you are only seeing the tip of the proverbial iceberg right now.
It may actually be less expensive (if cost of restoring is an issue?) to just buy a "whole" engine online than to go through all the machine shop work and new parts needed on the bike's original.
Of course, I totally understand if you actually enjoy the restoration process, I do too but if you're just looking to get the bike back in operation and ride...
The following user(s) said Thank You: thejameswilliam

More
30 May 2016 05:40 #729194 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic kz550 Engine Bore? or new cylinder head?
I've rebuilt the engines on several older bikes gathering parts (cylinders/heads) from ebay. The trick is to find someone parting a complete bike that way you can verify mileage on the parts. Typically I like to find parts from a bike with 20k miles or less on it, that way you don't need to worry too much about worn out cylinders and/or valve guides. The trick with cylinders is finding one without rust damage. Be sure to communicate with the seller and tell them your expectation, that will eliminate any heartburn after you receive the parts and they don't meet your needs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thejameswilliam

• thejameswilliam
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 May 2016 07:41 #729202 by thejameswilliam
Replied by thejameswilliam on topic kz550 Engine Bore? or new cylinder head?
Yeah, I was worried about water in the crank case too. But it actually looks good! The oil was black, but no rust. The piston was rusted to the cylinder wall, so I think that saved the lower engine. (Although it's been a royal pain getting the cylinder block off.)

I think I'm going to take it to a machine shop and get it bored. I like that over bore sound anyway. ;) Do I need to do anything special with the carbs?

kz550
thejameswilliam

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 May 2016 08:00 #729205 by SWest

• thejameswilliam
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 May 2016 09:20 #729218 by thejameswilliam
I've read of going up to a 615 cc. However, I've never done it before. I think that's what I'll shoot for. I don't really know if that's a huge leap or not. 65cc extra doesn't seem like much.

kz550
thejameswilliam

More
30 May 2016 09:45 #729221 by moneypit
Replied by moneypit on topic kz550 Engine Bore? or new cylinder head?
Have to make sure you can find pistons and rings. Lots of cylinders on ebay depending on the year of the bike. Cheapest solution maybe.

2-76 kz900
St Paul MN

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 May 2016 09:47 #729222 by SWest

thejameswilliam wrote: I've read of going up to a 615 cc. However, I've never done it before. I think that's what I'll shoot for. I don't really know if that's a huge leap or not. 65cc extra doesn't seem like much.

About $1000 once you're done. Better to find good used parts.
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 May 2016 10:22 #729223 by SWest

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: Kunena\Forum\Libraries\BBCode\KunenaBBCodeLibrary::renderEbayLayout(): Argument #1 ($ItemID) must be of type int, string given, called in /home/kzride5/public_html/libraries/kunena/src/BBCode/KunenaBBCode.php on line 314. Please enable debug mode for more information.

• thejameswilliam
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 May 2016 15:22 #729256 by thejameswilliam
Seems like the more research I do, the more I'm convinced to just get a new cylinder block and pistons. Way easier too. Finding rings sounds like a pain.

kz550
thejameswilliam