clutch issue

More
20 May 2016 18:22 #727665 by dwrock
clutch issue was created by dwrock
I have a 2000 kz 1000 with 1900 miles on it and when pulling from a stop sign the clutch went completely slack but there is no engagement to the engine. so you put it in gear and push the bike in gear and total slack in the clutch cable. I pulled the clutch cable cover and the cable is not broken. Please help if you can.
Thanks
Dale

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 May 2016 18:35 #727669 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic clutch issue
Clean and grease the clutch actuator. You have to get the balls in their relaxed position. Put the cover back on and adjust the screw until there is resistance. Back off 1/8-1/4 turn with all the cable adjustments slack. Adjust them last.
BTW, you need a manual.
Steve

More
20 May 2016 19:49 - 20 May 2016 19:50 #727682 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic clutch issue
Question -- Will the transmission go into low gear when pressing down the shift lever while the bike is rolling forward?

May need to assure that the shift lever is correctly positioned on the shifter shaft and that the shift lever is tightened so that its splines are engaged with the splines on the shifter shaft. In other words, assure that pushing on the shift lever is actually doing something.

The transmission should shift into low gear, which would prevent the bike from being manually rolled forward when the engine isn't running and the clutch lever isn't being squeezed. This will indicate that the clutch is engaged.

The transmission is designed so that it won't up-shift from neutral unless the rear wheel is rolling forward at sufficient speed. Which presupposes that the drive chain is connected to both sprockets and that the counter-shaft sprocket is tightened in its normal position and isn't loose and spinning (such as could happen with a loose sprocket nut).

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 20 May 2016 19:50 by Patton.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 May 2016 20:29 #727690 by SWest
My 350 Honda would do that if the adjuster was too tight. Ball and ramp AKA EZ Pull is known for that. :dry:
Steve

More
20 May 2016 21:01 #727695 by Patton

dwrock wrote: I have a 2000 kz 1000 with 1900 miles on it and when pulling from a stop sign the clutch went completely slack but there is no engagement to the engine. so you put it in gear and push the bike in gear and total slack in the clutch cable. I pulled the clutch cable cover and the cable is not broken. Please help if you can.
Thanks
Dale

no engagement to the engine. so you put it in gear and push the bike in gear and total slack in the clutch cable

Even with the clutch actuator assembly completely out-of-whack, being in 1st gear should prevent the bike from being manually rolled forward.

And the bike should be ride-able, with shifting up and down through all the gears without even needing the clutch.
A broken clutch cable won't prevent continuing the ride, and won't necessitate pushing or pulling or trailering the bike.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
21 May 2016 05:26 #727721 by SWest

dwrock wrote: I have a 2000 kz 1000 with 1900 miles on it and when pulling from a stop sign the clutch went completely slack but there is no engagement to the engine. so you put it in gear and push the bike in gear and total slack in the clutch cable. I pulled the clutch cable cover and the cable is not broken. Please help if you can.
Thanks
Dale

So I guess the question is, does the bike move when pushed without the clutch?
Steve

More
21 May 2016 09:10 #727751 by Patton

swest wrote: . . . So I guess the question is, does the bike move when pushed without the clutch? . . . .

When the transmission is actually in 1st gear, does the bike move when pushed without the clutch?

My suspicion is that the bike actually isn't in 1st gear -- and is actually in neutral -- when reportedly being pushed "in gear" with total slack in the clutch cable.

I suspect that the clutch is in its normally engaged position, as it would ordinarily be without a functional cable.

Exceptions could include catastrophic clutch failure (not suspected in the case at hand) or possibly that the failed clutch actuator assembly is somehow pressing against the clutch push-rod hard enough to keep the clutch disengaged (i.e., to prevent the clutch from engaging).

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
21 May 2016 10:36 #727755 by dwrock
Replied by dwrock on topic clutch issue
Thanks everyone. Yes the bike is pushable when in gear. Has a good cable. The actuator seems logical.

More
21 May 2016 10:43 #727758 by dwrock
So even with the clutch actuator off and the rod moving freely youvcan still push the bikevwhile in gear.

More
21 May 2016 13:20 - 21 May 2016 13:21 #727772 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic clutch issue
Sounds like the ball and ramp mechanism was not adjusted properly and jumped over the top of the ramp. You will have to remove the sprocket cover and set the ball ramp mechanism back to the proper position, then loosen up the cable adjuster on the end of the cable by the lever and adjust the screw on the clutch ramp until you get the proper amount of freeplay at the hand lever.
Last edit: 21 May 2016 13:21 by Nessism.

More
21 May 2016 14:05 #727776 by Patton

dwrock wrote: . . . bike is pushable when in gear. . . .

How known for certain that it's "in gear?"

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
21 May 2016 15:27 #727788 by dwrock
Thanks everyone the bike is fixed . It was bad grease and a bad adjustment