Cam chain noise still!!

More
27 Mar 2016 05:52 #717537 by kzharpe
Cam chain noise still!! was created by kzharpe
Alright folks I finished adjusting the auto cam chain tensioner and I am still having quite a bit of noise from the bottom end. My next step is to switch to a manual tensioner but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas I can try to reduce this noise down a little before I go that route?

1977 KZ650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Mar 2016 06:01 #717539 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Cam chain noise still!!
Have the carburetors been carefully adjusted and synchronized recently? Slightly out of whack carbs can cause a surprising amount of rattling / cam chain noise, especially at idle.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Mar 2016 06:10 #717541 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Cam chain noise still!!
Yep, it can sound liker it's coming apart in there. When was the last time the valves were adjusted? Should always check the chain followers for slop or broken pins.
Steve

More
27 Mar 2016 06:14 #717543 by kzharpe
Replied by kzharpe on topic Cam chain noise still!!
Carbs have just been cleaned and synched, valves were done about a month ago

1977 KZ650

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Mar 2016 07:33 #717566 by SWest
What bike is this? If it is the cam chain, I'd be concerned about it. Had one break. Broke my heart not to mention wallet. :(
Steve

More
27 Mar 2016 08:02 #717574 by theApehouse
Replied by theApehouse on topic Cam chain noise still!!
I put off buying a manual cam chain adjuster as long as I could. I swear by that thing now. Not only did it quiet the bike up but added some extra 'instant torque' to the throttle. I had no idea how bad it had gotten

1987 KZ1000P, dynatek 2.2 coils

www.youtube.com/channel/UC3VtY1XWwKH3zK2trI2Hz1w

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Mar 2016 08:07 #717577 by SWest
Just be sure your chain rollers/followers are in good shape and don't over-tighten. A broken chain is NO FUN. :dry:
Steve

More
27 Mar 2016 08:38 - 27 Mar 2016 08:41 #717584 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Cam chain noise still!!
The 1977 Kz650 cam chain tensioner IS a manual tensioner; otherwise you would not have needed to adjust it. What is the idle speed of the engine set to? If it is set too low the bottom end will make a lot of noise, but it is not related to the cam chain; it is the primary chain which is not adjustable. If the idle is set correctly and you still have primary chain noise you need to properly synchronize the carbs. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 27 Mar 2016 08:41 by 650ed.

More
28 Mar 2016 08:28 #717750 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Cam chain noise still!!
I have to agree with Ed and Steve here.
My 550a had this scary "can of nails" sound at idle, especially when cold.
I did the valve shims up to spec in the manual... No real noticeable change to coffee can of nails sounds
I pulled the carbs and cleaned thoroughly,... No real noticeable change to coffee can of nails.
I pulled the carbs again, replaced the jets, needles, bench sync, New mounts too... No real noticeable difference.
Finally, got the carb synchronization gauges and (surprised look on face). It was easy to synch'em and ultimately made that coffee can of nails go away almost entirely.
I say almost entirely because, I'm still putzin' with the bike and think I could do a better job of re-synchronizing them, especially now that I have done a few other tune-ups and adjustments.

If my idle falls below 1100rpm on the factory gauge, then that sound still comes back but it's way less of an issue and mostly when the bike is cold. Once warmed up it's far more tolerant/quiet.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Mar 2016 08:50 #717757 by SWest
Get some time on it and dial them in again. You cal tell the sound of an unhappy motor. B)
Steve

More
28 Mar 2016 09:02 #717760 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Cam chain noise still!!
I have to agree Steve. Definitely a part of the process is familiarity with the bike in question.

Also I forgot to mention to the poster of this thread:

Steve, Ed and loud were all instrumental in my problem resolutions with this new-to-me 550a.
So heed their sage advise. Not gunna guess at their ages but I'm betting their combined wisdom is double, triple or more what any one guy's experience with these classic Kawis is ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest