Valve seal replacement w/o removing head 1982 GPZ

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Mar 2016 06:23 #717254 by SWest
Logical choice. You'll get a chance to bevel the stems and see how everything else is playing together. B)
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Madtrout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
25 Mar 2016 06:54 #717257 by Nessism
Here is a link to a thread on the GS Resources (with photos) showing how a member there was able to change the valve stem seals on an assembled/installed engine. www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread...ng-the-cylinder-head

More
25 Mar 2016 09:51 #717297 by MDZ1rider
I don't think that style tool would fit between the head and frame rails with the engine still in the bike. Access to the Intakes on cylinders 2 & 3 would really be tight. Assuming that means you would have to remove the engine from the frame, the question becomes... is the extra effort/additional special tools worth the cost of a head gasket? Personally, I'd buy a gasket.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
25 Mar 2016 09:57 - 25 Mar 2016 15:20 #717300 by Madtrout
New head gasket, seals and valve seal pliers all ordered. The shame about this entire episode, is that the bike is running beautifully except for the startup smoking. I replaced the rings, honed the cylinder. had the valves done, replaced the starter motor and the starter clutch, new clutch plates, rebuilt carbs, and Spiegler brake lines. The drag of tearing it apart again will hopefully be offset by having my old GPz with 90,000 miles back to a state of harmony. I have lots of bikes, but the GPz holds a special place in my heart and garage. My poor choice of machinist really has bit me hard. Live and learn, Mark
Last edit: 25 Mar 2016 15:20 by Madtrout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

More
26 Mar 2016 11:04 #717435 by car5car
Check every valve stem for scratches.
I damaged valves once and never used that tool gain.

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Mar 2016 11:38 #717437 by SWest

More
13 Apr 2016 06:28 #720687 by Madtrout
Morning all. I thought I would give you a follow up report on my travails. After my $225.00 worth of parts arrived, I disassembled the top end, and found that my machinist had left razor sharp edges on the valve stems when he tipped them to increase valve clearance. Naturally and predictably, he damaged the valve seals when he reinstalled the valves. When I texted him and let him know what he had done he replied that "I guess being human is not acceptable"! Machinists are supposed to be more than human, they are a kind of high priest entrusted with precision tasks. I beveled and polished the valve stems, installed new seals and put the engine back together. I can happily report that there is now no smoking on start-up, and the bike is running fine. 5 Minutes of care on his part could have avoided the entire episode. For any of you in Maryland that are looking for a machinist, I recommend that you avoid using Cycle Connections in Westminster. Cheers, Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, 650ed

More
13 Apr 2016 06:39 - 13 Apr 2016 06:42 #720690 by car5car
Ask for your money back.
Secret info:
90% of mechanics are idiots.
Do not let them do anything what you can do yourself.
Go to consumer department of your state

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920
Last edit: 13 Apr 2016 06:42 by car5car.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Apr 2016 07:11 #720694 by SWest
Yeah, he should have known better. $250 in parts? You made out. B) Cost me $500 in cam chain components that I bought first, then I found a lunched piston. Another $500 in pistons. Wiseco doesn't make cast ones anymore.

:woohoo:

Then I had a oiling problem and lunched another one..

At that point I decided not keep track of what the bike is costing me. I bought it in 75 for $2300, rode the piss out of it, sat under a tree for 15 years and the DMV charged me $500 to get it on the road. :angry:
Basicly I got the bike for $500, what I put into it, wheel bearings, engine parts, etc, cost me less than what a running one would and I know what is going on between my legs. Good deal all considered. B)
Steve
Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Apr 2016 07:17 #720697 by SWest

car5car wrote: Ask for your money back.
Secret info:
90% of mechanics are idiots.
Do not let them do anything what you can do yourself.
Go to consumer department of your state

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

More
13 Apr 2016 07:46 #720705 by 80B4
I always do my own final assembly. A few times in the last 50 years of motorcycling I've found a problem with the parts that return from my machinist. As the engine builder I am responsible for how things go back together, not the subcontractor. If he misses a step it's on me to catch it and make sure he makes it good. Some machinists get offended if you double check their work, some don’t mind at all. Find one that is proud of his work and wants you to be critical. Then find out what beer he likes and his birthday.

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750