Anyone That Has Stripped Their Cam Chain Tensioner

More
23 Mar 2016 21:47 #717065 by kzharpe
I went to adjust my cam chain tensioner yesterday and realized as soon as I started tightening it back down that I had either stripped all the threads or their was only a few threads left when I got started. Before I went online to order a new tensioner, I wanted to give something else a try. The original threads are m6 x 1.0 so I went ahead and just rethreaded it to 1/4 - 20. Bought a 1/4 inch nut and 1/4 - 20 bolt the same length as the original. Worked like a charm!!!! and saved my self a decent amount of money. Just wanted to throw this solution out there for anyone that has or will strip these threads

1977 KZ650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2016 01:39 #717067 by zed1015
Either that or fitting a Helicoil is the common fix.
You can also drill and thread in to the end to effectively convert it to a manual locked type so it can never back off under load.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
24 Mar 2016 05:41 #717077 by kzharpe

zed1015 wrote: Either that or fitting a Helicoil is the common fix.
You can also drill and thread in to the end to effectively convert it to a manual locked type so it can never back off under load.

I considered this but from what I understand it entirely to easy to put too much pressure on this way

1977 KZ650

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Mar 2016 06:54 #717084 by SWest
If you're talking about the set bolt and lock nut, a heli coil or time cert would have been a better fix. The bolt sees a lot of use. Going to 1/4 is temporary at best. Not enough meat for the threads.
Steve

More
24 Mar 2016 07:31 #717087 by kzharpe

swest wrote: If you're talking about the set bolt and lock nut, a heli coil or time cert would have been a better fix. The bolt sees a lot of use. Going to 1/4 is temporary at best. Not enough meat for the threads.
Steve

Yeah I realize it's only temporary. I might just machine my own manual tensioner but I'm skeptical about them. If this fails I considered moving up to m6 but I just don't think there is enough material there

1977 KZ650

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Mar 2016 07:47 #717092 by SWest
I'm tempted to put my aftermarket manual back on. Trouble is the O ring on the threads gets stuck so you can't tell when it hits the guide. That's how I got into trouble in the first place. The little foot on the stock one is crooked and hard so it doesn't have the throw it should. New ones are N/A or too expensive. I've got my eye on a used unit but it will be old and I could be in the same boat again.
I think you meant a m8. It might work. All it has to do is keep the ramp from moving.
Steve

More
24 Mar 2016 11:05 #717127 by zed1015

kzharpe wrote:

zed1015 wrote: Either that or fitting a Helicoil is the common fix.

I considered this but from what I understand it entirely to easy to put too much pressure on this way

No. You let the tensioners spring take up the slack as normal and then screw the bolt up by hand until it lightly touches the end of the plunger and then lock it.
You can watch the plunger movement down the original locking bolt hole to ensure it doesn't move any further than you want.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Mar 2016 13:14 #717151 by SWest
That's a good idea. I think I'll try that. From the end right?
Steve