kz750 clutch

More
03 Feb 2016 05:56 #709172 by jklappa86
Replied by jklappa86 on topic kz750 clutch
Well I was up last night thinking about it. I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet and get new clutches and plates from z1 and new springs from Dennis kirk seeing as z1 don't have springs. I ordered some superbike bars last night to. Sounds like I should get new cables to now. As far as length goes should I order cables for a kz without the buckhorn bars? Or is there a better fitting cable? Also are the motion pro cables DK sells decent cables?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2016 07:33 - 03 Feb 2016 07:35 #709190 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic kz750 clutch
I've spent a lot of time on the GS Resources website, prior to buying my KZ750E, and the culture is different over there compared to here in terms of how the members deal with certain issues (such as clutch issues). At the GSR the standard approach to a slipping clutch is to pull the clutch cover, disassemble the clutch pack, and measure the plates. 90% of the time the friction discs measure in spec so they can be reused. Install new OEM springs, along with a new clutch cable if it's old, slap it all together and you have about a 90% chance of riding off into the sunset without further issues. Coat the clutch cover gasket with grease prior to install just in case you have to pull it down a second time.

Guess what I'm driving at is that you have a very good chance at success with following this advice to rehab your KZ clutch. The plates typically last the life of the bike, but the springs on the other hand tend to compress after spending 30+ years constantly under load. With my recently rehabbed 750 I took two sets of clutch plates and measured everything, only to find both sets in great shape. I degreased the steel plates, measured them for warpage (there was none), and then used a DA w/100 grit sandpaper to buzz them down and break any glaze. Slapped it all together with new springs and the clutch is solid, and only minimal money spent.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2016 07:35 by Nessism.

More
03 Feb 2016 07:38 - 03 Feb 2016 07:40 #709191 by Nessism
Oh, and if you really want to do something positive, rebuild your clutch hub with new dampers. It makes a noticeable difference and is a cheap fix. Much better bang for your buck than replacing clutch plates that are most likely fine still.

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG
Last edit: 03 Feb 2016 07:40 by Nessism.

More
03 Feb 2016 08:11 #709196 by jklappa86
Ha that looks pretty in depth! Where you get the dampers from? Are those something that normally need replacing? I was leaning towards getting the plates because I don't want to pay twice for shipping if I pull it apart and the plates are cooked. But I'm all for not spending money if the plates will be fine if I could just scuff them up.

More
03 Feb 2016 16:32 #709279 by jklappa86
ok so I took the clutch assembly out tonight and from the looks of it the clutches look fine? I don't see any signs of heat or excessive wear and even the plates still have the dimples in them. I looked at the springs and they all look like they are sagging to one side. As far as the basket dampers go how do you know how much play is too much play I couldn't find any spec for it? I am posting a pic of the clutches and plates and a vid of the basket play let me know what you guys think.

Attachment clutches.jpg not found

Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Feb 2016 16:49 #709281 by SWest

More
03 Feb 2016 16:53 #709283 by Nessism

More
03 Feb 2016 17:41 #709290 by jklappa86
Seems like I cant post mp4 videos so I posted two pics of it at the end of each travel. as far as the caliper goes I have one in my tool box at work ill get the measurements in the morning.

Attachment baskettravel.jpg not found

Attachment baskettravel2.jpg not found

Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Feb 2016 18:21 #709296 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic kz750 clutch
I upload to youtube or you can use dropbox.
Steve

More
04 Feb 2016 03:57 #709329 by undiablo
Replied by undiablo on topic kz750 clutch
jklappa86:

From the last 2 pictures, I can tell your rubber dampers are shot. You should replace them following Nessism advice. Another method instead of welding is to push out the old steel rivets and thread the aluminum post. Yo can go M6x1, remember to use loctite.

Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

More
04 Feb 2016 05:23 #709339 by jklappa86
Where can you get the dampers from? I've been having trouble finding any. As far as the friction disks go I measured all the thicknesses with my micrometer and got these readings. Is any thickness variation allowed? All measurements are in inches.
Attachments:

More
04 Feb 2016 07:08 - 04 Feb 2016 07:12 #709348 by Nessism

jklappa86 wrote: Where can you get the dampers from? I've been having trouble finding any.

I sent you a PM yesterday with the contact info for the guy that sells the dampers, Also as mentioned, there is a guy on the 750 Turbo site that sells them as well.

Regarding the friction discs, the service limit is .138" so you have plenty of friction material remaining.
Last edit: 04 Feb 2016 07:12 by Nessism.