no return spring = can't find neutral

More
02 Feb 2016 05:00 #709016 by aenikolopov
no return spring = can't find neutral was created by aenikolopov
Hi all, I recently replaced a damaged transmission cover and clutch pushrod. In the process of closing up the transmission cover, it seems I did not properly set the shift return spring, because my gear shift pedal no longer clicks back. That's all well and good - i'm going to open it up and set the spring. The surprising thing has been that since I put it all back together, I also can't shift into neutral while the bike running. To stop, I have to get into 1st, stop, engage the clutch, and then quickly pop it so I stall out. As soon as that happens, I can easily shift up to neutral. Any ideas why this is happening? Is it related to the return spring?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Feb 2016 05:05 #709017 by SWest

More
02 Feb 2016 05:22 #709018 by aenikolopov
Replied by aenikolopov on topic no return spring = can't find neutral

swest wrote: Might be but more likely a mis adjusted clutch.
Steve

Clutch adjustment? As in.. clutch cable adjustment.. or the actual clutch mechanism? I suppose I could see the former. The bike doesn't shift into 2nd when it's not running, so there's only neutral to hit, and the clutch cable is definitely misadjusted right now - it's loose and I think just barely disengages the clutch. I hadn't thought about that that could be an issue on finding neutral.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Feb 2016 05:29 - 02 Feb 2016 05:29 #709019 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic no return spring = can't find neutral
They are meant to not go into second when not moving. Sometimes the clutch plates stick together. If adjustment doesn't work, you may have to take them out one by one, oil them and put them back in. The clutch should be easier to pull afterwards.
Steve
Last edit: 02 Feb 2016 05:29 by SWest.

More
02 Feb 2016 05:31 #709020 by aenikolopov
Yes, I understand that they're not supposed to go into 2nd. What I meant is that since they can't go into 2nd, neutral is the only thing left, which is why I am able to shift into neutral when the bike is off, and not able to when it's on (rather, I shift into 2nd immediately). I've almost never been able to shift to neutral on the way down, on this bike, so maybe oiling the plates makes sense in either case. Thank you for the video link.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Feb 2016 05:38 #709021 by SWest
When the bike is off, can you shift it into neutral and back to first over and over? If so, look into the clutch. B)
Steve

More
02 Feb 2016 05:43 - 02 Feb 2016 05:43 #709022 by aenikolopov
OK. Will do, thanks. Not sure if I can switch from neutral to 1st while the bike is off. definitely the other way around (1st->N), and only when it's off.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2016 05:43 by aenikolopov.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Feb 2016 05:45 #709023 by SWest
Might have to rock it. Just testing to see if the spring is doing it's job. Is it limp? If not, it's OK.
Steve

More
02 Feb 2016 06:31 #709026 by aenikolopov

swest wrote: Might have to rock it. Just testing to see if the spring is doing it's job. Is it limp? If not, it's OK.
Steve

Sorry - not catching you. Rock what? Which spring? The return spring? the return spring is totally disengaged, and I have to push the gear shifter up to shift, then back down to center, then up again, into order to shift.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Feb 2016 07:15 #709031 by SWest
Attachments:

More
02 Feb 2016 07:48 - 02 Feb 2016 07:49 #709035 by aenikolopov

swest wrote: Then you need a new spring or get it on there right.
Steve

Thanks for the photo. Yes, I do need to do that - it must have gotten disconnected, and I completely forgot to even touch it when I had the transmission cover open. That was my question- whether that could have anything to do with not hitting neutral when the engine is firing.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2016 07:49 by aenikolopov.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Feb 2016 07:54 #709037 by SWest
You can see the ratchet forks. They have to return to rest before they can do anything else. Take pics as you go. It really helps for reference. B)
Steve