no return spring = can't find neutral

More
02 Feb 2016 08:12 #709038 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic no return spring = can't find neutral
What model bike? There's was an early service bulletin on the shift shaft arm (the part with the paws) getting pinched by the engine cases and trans cover. I had this happen on a Z1B engine. You can move the shifter up and down by foot or hand, but the spring is not strong enough to overcome the binding. It's easy to assume that the spring is incorrect or broken. Drain the oil, or tilt the bike to the right. Back all the transmission cover screws off 1 turn. If the shifter shaft now springs back to center, that's your problem. The solution is to add an extra gasket or shave the internal brace on the back side of the trans cover with a file.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2016 12:41 #709074 by aenikolopov
Replied by aenikolopov on topic no return spring = can't find neutral
MDZ - interesting. Mine body and engine is a 1980 F1, but my transmission cover is from a 197? B (though the model numbers are the same), so maybe this is possible. Additionally, I've dealt with the somewhat confusing fact that two different shape gaskets are sold as part number 11060-1056, which the kawi site indicates is the gasket for the f1. I purchased one on ebay that had this part number, but clearly had a hole for a nonexistent screw, and also didn't fit the opening just right on one side.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.