Funny squawk noise when hitting starter

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
14 Jan 2016 04:38 #706670 by Nessism
My recently rebuilt 750E makes a funny squawk noise when first engaging the starter in the morning. It almost sounds like a bearing is dry. After starting the bike and running a while the noise goes away until the next cold start.

During the rebuild I replaced the rollers/springs in the starter clutch. The bike only has 11k miles on it in the first place and I didn't see any abnormal wear in the clutch.

My thinking is to bust down the starter motor and make sure everything inside looks as it should. I'm wondering about the starter clutch though. I've heard starter clutches before that wouldn't engage, where the starter motor just spins and the engine doesn't. But is there a condition on these bikes where the clutch could emit this squawk/groan noise due to some level of slippage? Hope not but I'm not very experienced with this engine so hoping someone can share their experiences.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2016 06:32 #706690 by JR
650Ed described a bad starter clutch as making an "oogah horn" sound and that pretty much is the sound I hear at times on a cold start and just after the motor fires and starts. 1980 750 E1. Its quite loud. A squawk would also be a good description. I had assumed it's the starter clutch but as its been doing this for the past 12 years I don't worry to much. I intend to run it this way as long as possible before I do anything. I might take out the starter motor and give it a service this spring just in case. Certainly a lot easier than tackling the starter clutch.

My bike has over 75,000 km on it. Hard to think you could have starter clutch issue at 11,000 miles and on a rebuilt motor.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, undiablo

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Jan 2016 06:37 #706691 by SWest
The following user(s) said Thank You: djturnz

More
14 Jan 2016 08:09 #706696 by JR

swest wrote: It's embarrassing though. :dry:
Steve

Not to me. I don't pay any mind who's watching or listening.

More
14 Jan 2016 14:01 #706712 by Rustyhama
Replied by Rustyhama on topic Re:Funny squawk noise when hitting starter
Mine does the exact same thing. Worse when cold.

Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project
www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59260.0
The following user(s) said Thank You: JR, Nessism

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
15 Jan 2016 04:15 #706755 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Re:Funny squawk noise when hitting starter
Humm, sounds like this noise is somewhat common. That makes me less concern.

Do you guys think it's worth the effort to bust the starter motor down to make sure nothing is going on inside? I'd just do it but I'm concern about damaging the fasteners since I've had issues before trying to take apart a starter.

More
15 Jan 2016 04:52 - 15 Jan 2016 13:36 #706765 by mopguy
Replied by mopguy on topic Re:Funny squawk noise when hitting starter
Mine does it too, but it happens only once in while and when its cold weather, so I think it is related to starter being very cold.

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2016 13:36 by mopguy.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Jan 2016 05:34 #706770 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Re:Funny squawk noise when hitting starter
I know the sound you're talking about. It happened on my Honda 350 until I got a new starter motor. I had the cover off and watched it. When it made that noise, it was going backwards after I let off on the switch. Seems common with chain driven starters.
Steve

More
15 Jan 2016 07:06 - 15 Jan 2016 07:07 #706787 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Funny squawk noise when hitting starter
Pretty sure your problem (if you even have one) is in the starter and not the starter clutch ...... St clutch sounded more like it was slipping and clanging rattling and like I've heard before a bunch of rocks...... Before I tore into the st clutch I put on my 79 parts bike starter to be sure and it "kind" of makes a mopar sound when turning over ..... different than that but I don't know how else to describe it other wise .... I like the sound and am keeping it on.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2016 07:07 by KZB2 650.

More
02 May 2016 17:28 #724175 by JR

JR wrote: ..................................... I might take out the starter motor and give it a service this spring .............

When the snow melted and things warmed up in mid March I pulled the starter motor and opened it up. Blew out the carbon dust (not to much dust) with compressed air and cleaned up the commutator with Deoxit. Carbon brushes measured within spec so i just reassembled and put the motor back.
Works better than ever and no more squawking much to my delight. I didnt see any reason why it has squawked since i got it but wondered if perhaps previous owner had missaligned the little planetary gears when reassembling. For sure someone was in there before me as the brushes did not look like ones with almost 80,000 km on them.

Overall an easy job.

More
02 May 2016 19:53 #724198 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Funny squawk noise when hitting starter
JR,
I'm interested to know, since apparently this is a common problem?...issue! reported here.

What do you think you did that solved the squawk noise? Did you grease anything like a bushing or you thinking it was purely brush dust?

More
02 May 2016 20:25 #724200 by JR
wrenchmonkey

I'm sure the Deoxit to clean up the commutator helped with better electrical conductivity but no extra grease was used in the reassembly, just extra care to get the 2 gear wheels lined up correctly. There was actually a lot less dust than i had expected.

A mystery indeed as to what solved the problem.