VHT paint?

• Yetanotherkzrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jan 2016 07:49 #706420 by Yetanotherkzrider
VHT paint? was created by Yetanotherkzrider
Could anyone who has used VHT paint on their engines give me some advice? I'm having my cases, head, covers, etc bead blasted. Is there any other prep work that needs to be done? Do I need to use primer?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2016 08:20 #706425 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic VHT paint?
I used Rollbar & Chassis paint on a frame, the gloss isn't as glossy as regular spray paint so it looks more factory than spray bombed.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
12 Jan 2016 08:33 #706428 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic VHT paint?
As long as it's clean, it should go on without primer. Good thing about off the shelf paint is, you can touch up spots with a tiny brush. I just keep forgetting to get one. :unsure:
Steve

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
12 Jan 2016 09:05 #706429 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic VHT paint?

Yetanotherkzrider wrote: Could anyone who has used VHT paint on their engines give me some advice? I'm having my cases, head, covers, etc bead blasted. Is there any other prep work that needs to be done? Do I need to use primer?

are they blasted yet? Are you doing them? a friend? a regular business?
Proper way to blast is to totally degrease all parts first. Then hot soapy water. You have to get all oils out so the bead media does not cling to it. And of course fill all screw holes in with old or whatever screws and bolts you have. Then compressed air after. then rewash. chase all thread holes with a tap. blow it all out again.
then when your ready to paint. I always sprayed everything down with straight lacquer thinner from the spray gun. let it all flash dry.
But if your in a cold area were you are painting. aluminum holds moisture. I always would use a hand held propane torch and run over the parts. you can see the trail off moisture drying. or fill your house oven with parts and bake.
So after all of that you gonna change your mind :lol: do it right the first time and your parts will last long.
I like VHT but they don't have nice gloss. for gloss black i use PJ1. or even Dupli-color car engine enamel.
All depends what color and finish you prefer.
At least this is the way I have done stuff over 35 years.
10 guys on here will give you 10 opinions!
good luck.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Yetanotherkzrider

More
12 Jan 2016 09:27 - 12 Jan 2016 10:22 #706433 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic VHT paint?
VHT engine paint sucks. It's brittle as glass and not very chemical resistant. I media blasted my engine parts and then primed and painted with satin black. The satin is too glossy but I can forgive that. What pisses me off though is that the paint under a lot of the screwheads has chipped off showing the primer underneath. The primer has stuck decently on top of the aluminum, but the black doesn't stick to the primer.

If I had to do it again I'd use Gunkote.

[IMG

[IMG
Last edit: 12 Jan 2016 10:22 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yetanotherkzrider

More
12 Jan 2016 10:12 - 12 Jan 2016 10:22 #706437 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic VHT paint?
Another option :https://youtu.be/UamrlZXH69E
Cerakote, water based which is good for the home mechanic. They have a Glacier Chrome color that does not have chrome in it and is polishable after curing.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
Last edit: 12 Jan 2016 10:22 by SWest.

More
12 Jan 2016 11:18 #706444 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic VHT paint?

Yetanotherkzrider wrote: Could anyone who has used VHT paint on their engines give me some advice? I'm having my cases, head, covers, etc bead blasted. Is there any other prep work that needs to be done? Do I need to use primer?

I recall that black and white VHT need no primer. But I think they recommend using white as a primer for the colored flavors. I always used black and silver so I never needed to prime.

You do need to cook the paint on to cure it before running up to full temp.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
12 Jan 2016 11:19 #706445 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic VHT paint?

Nessism wrote: VHT engine paint sucks. It's brittle as glass and not very chemical resistant.

I never found it to be durable on my exhaust pipes either. Oil stained it and it rubbed off after getting hot for a while.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
12 Jan 2016 13:12 #706455 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic VHT paint?
VHT recommends primer if you want to maximize performance. It's not a color issue. I can tell you that even with primer the top coat will chip off. And yes, I baked the paint.

• Yetanotherkzrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jan 2016 15:11 #706471 by Yetanotherkzrider
Replied by Yetanotherkzrider on topic VHT paint?
Nothing is blasted yet,but I'm planning on having it done later this week after i degrease everything. It will be done at a local shop. I thought about having everything vapor blasted, but after shipping it's not cost effective. There's also a shop that insisted that they could sand blast the engine with good results, but I've read more horror stories than success stories on sand and aluminum. I wanted to go with a natural, semi gloss aluminum finish on everything but the jugs and maybe the head, which I'd either do in black or a darker silver or cast iron color for some contrast. I don't care about the brand of paint, just that I end up with something that will last a few years with minimal chipping.

• Yetanotherkzrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jan 2016 15:14 #706472 by Yetanotherkzrider
It seem like you're not the only one who has had bad results with vht. I'm definitely a little weary to try it.

Nessism wrote: VHT engine paint sucks. It's brittle as glass and not very chemical resistant. I media blasted my engine parts and then primed and painted with satin black. The satin is too glossy but I can forgive that. What pisses me off though is that the paint under a lot of the screwheads has chipped off showing the primer underneath. The primer has stuck decently on top of the aluminum, but the black doesn't stick to the primer.

If I had to do it again I'd use Gunkote.

[IMG

• Yetanotherkzrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jan 2016 15:17 #706474 by Yetanotherkzrider
This might be an option if I could borrow a sprayer for the weekend. It definitely looks good.

kaw-a-holic wrote: Another option :https://youtu.be/UamrlZXH69E
Cerakote, water based which is good for the home mechanic. They have a Glacier Chrome color that does not have chrome in it and is polishable after curing.