Priming Oiling System?

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
16 Oct 2015 06:56 #694745 by Nessism
Priming Oiling System? was created by Nessism
Getting ready to fire up my 750 after a complete tear down. Used assembly lube (lightly) on things like crank/cams/valve buckets, etc, but wondering what's the best method to prime the oiling system before firing this bad boy up? Thinking about pushing some oil in the main oil galley under the crank, and then cranking the engine without plugs before filling the carbs, but I'm open to suggestions.

[IMG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2015 07:57 #694752 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Priming Oiling System?
If you used assembly lube then you should be fine.

I always make a habit of turning the motor over by hand a few full revolutions. If something is off and binds up, you'll be able to feel it, whereas the starter motor would just blow through and bend a valve or worse.

I think that starting it up after a rebuild is really no worse than your average cold start in terms of wear, perhaps even better because of lubing everything with moly grease...

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

More
16 Oct 2015 10:32 #694765 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Priming Oiling System?
I used assembly lube on pretty much every thing too and coated the cam and lifters with a little oil and a shot of STP..... then like you said pulled the plugs and checked compression to build up oil pressure....... it took till the 4th cyl for the light to finally go off and to start building pressure........ was going crazy wondering if I had the rings right anyway and was so happy to see 145 on all 4. I did put a good 3 or 4 drops of oil on the cylinders, and 6 or 7 on the rings and pistons rings and pistons when putting it together........ no way do I agree with some on here saying to leave them dry or very close too for quick break in.

I put a small space heater on the motor and got the whole thing nice and warm just to get the oil moving too....... it started in about 2 seconds shocked me but was happy .......... did'nt hardly smoke at all either tiny bit for no more than 5 seconds..... let it idle at 1,800 to 2,000 for maybe 2 minutes with a fan going, shut it down looked it over real fast and then took it for a 40 mile ride......... next day I re torgued and the took it for 3 20 miles rides a day before I changed the oil...... wanted to heat cycle it at least 4 times before the change..... hope you have the same good luck, sharp bike....... I personly think you shouldn't push it but do a few pulls in 3 and 4th maybe to 5,500 then back off and let it cool right away for a couple hundred yards. (put a little load on it) to help seat the rings.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
16 Oct 2015 12:08 #694778 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Priming Oiling System?
I like to break in engines by running them assertively around the city for 20 miles or so. Nothing crazy but liberal use of the throttle and half way reasonable rev levels.

On further thought I'm now thinking about pulling one of the main oil galley plugs and cranking the engine until I see oil present. That means the pump is working and near to the crank. I'm adding an oil cooler so want to get some oil up this thing too.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Oct 2015 12:13 #694779 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Priming Oiling System?
I wiped the cylinders with oil but left the rings dry. I lubed everything else. I wanted the rings to seat RIGHT NOW. They did. I used the power the first few miles not going above 4000. Id use it for breaking and to accelerate shifting up and down. After 100, I started revving it a little more then more again. By the time I got to 500, i had been up to 7000. Unless there's a multi car pass or light to beat, there was no reason to go above that. Then came the 5 car pass. I had just slipped it into 2nd. and a 3/4 mile stretch wide open, I grabbed a handful, shifted into 3rd. at 10,000 leaning forward. The front end got real light. Now that's more like it I said to myself. It doesn't go flat at 9,000 like it did so I must have done something right. :whistle:
Steve

More
16 Oct 2015 14:04 #694793 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Priming Oiling System?

Nessism wrote: Getting ready to fire up my 750 after a complete tear down. Used assembly lube (lightly) on things like crank/cams/valve buckets, etc, but wondering what's the best method to prime the oiling system before firing this bad boy up? ]

Take out the spark plugs and start kicking.......

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
16 Oct 2015 16:54 #694811 by Nessism

bountyhunter wrote:

Nessism wrote: Getting ready to fire up my 750 after a complete tear down. Used assembly lube (lightly) on things like crank/cams/valve buckets, etc, but wondering what's the best method to prime the oiling system before firing this bad boy up? ]

Take out the spark plugs and start kicking.......

Kicking? :S

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Oct 2015 17:19 #694813 by SWest
At least you're not putting in synthetic oil and wonder why the rings don't seat. :lol:
Steve

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
16 Oct 2015 19:02 - 16 Oct 2015 19:03 #694830 by Nessism

swest wrote: At least you're not putting in synthetic oil and wonder why the rings don't seat. :lol:
Steve

You think the rings won't seat with synthetic? Sounds like a challenge. :evil:

You realize of course that millions and millions of new cars are built each year with synthetic oil in them right?
Last edit: 16 Oct 2015 19:03 by Nessism.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Oct 2015 19:09 #694833 by SWest
It was a joke. On the other hand, I always used the thinnest and cheapest oil for the initial break in. Dump it out at 500 miles, then put in the good stuff. Always worked for me. :whistle:
Steve

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
16 Oct 2015 19:20 #694836 by Nessism

swest wrote: It was a joke. On the other hand, I always used the thinnest and cheapest oil for the initial break in. Dump it out at 500 miles, then put in the good stuff. Always worked for me. :whistle:
Steve

Dumping the oil at 500 miles sounds about right. I'm going to pick up some cheap diesel oil, maybe some of that supertech stuff they sell at Wallmart.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Oct 2015 19:27 #694837 by SWest
Now they changed the formula, I guess the store brand won't work.
Steve