Priming Oiling System?

More
16 Oct 2015 20:20 #694841 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Priming Oiling System?

Nessism wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

Nessism wrote: Getting ready to fire up my 750 after a complete tear down. Used assembly lube (lightly) on things like crank/cams/valve buckets, etc, but wondering what's the best method to prime the oiling system before firing this bad boy up? ]

Take out the spark plugs and start kicking.......

Kicking? :S

Kickstarter = driving internal oil pump = pumping oil throughout the engine.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2015 20:22 #694842 by bountyhunter

Nessism wrote:

swest wrote: At least you're not putting in synthetic oil and wonder why the rings don't seat. :lol:
Steve

You think the rings won't seat with synthetic? Sounds like a challenge. :evil:

You realize of course that millions and millions of new cars are built each year with synthetic oil in them right?

One of te most persistent myths about syn oil...... which in about 99% of the cases for syn oil sold in USA is just dino oil sent through a refining process called hydrocracking.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
16 Oct 2015 22:55 #694845 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Priming Oiling System?

Nessism wrote:

swest wrote: At least you're not putting in synthetic oil and wonder why the rings don't seat. :lol:
Steve

You think the rings won't seat with synthetic? Sounds like a challenge. :evil:

You realize of course that millions and millions of new cars are built each year with synthetic oil in them right?

Yeah, and how many of those air 1970s design air-cooled motors? ;)

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

More
17 Oct 2015 03:23 #694855 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Priming Oiling System?
I just might use the kicker for a while this time just to save on the new starter clutch......... and I'm still a believer of dumping the oil and filter at 100 and at 500....... I even changed it at 300 too and just the filter once too some where in there..... but I admit that is over kill ...... didn't like the look of it with all the wd40 and penatrating oil and brake cleaner from spraying out (cleaning) the lower end, STP and assembly lube all mixed in..... not to mention the alum from the pistons and cyl wearing in.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
17 Oct 2015 04:15 #694862 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Priming Oiling System?
The bike doesn't have a kickstarter. Check the photo in my first post.

The bike has a filter. Any contamination left over from the build will get trapped in the filter (to a point). That's why I don't think it's necessary to go hog wild and change the oil multiple times early on.

More
17 Oct 2015 07:33 #694881 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Priming Oiling System?
After doing my 1075cc top end overhaul and valve job this summer, and before start up...... I put fresh 10-40 oil and filter in it. I "primed" it with no spark plugs and used the starter motor until the light went off. Kicking it might be harder because it took a few seconds longer then I thought but the starter motor speed never really dropped.
Then put the plugs in.
It fired right off and I ran the bike/engine for about 75 miles. Then changed the hot oil and filter again with 10-40 .... Ran it for another 450 miles, then changed the oil and filter for the third time and now have about 2600 miles on it. Close to 43,000 miles total....
After the third change or around 2100 miles ago, I have used less then 4-5 ounces of oil. That includes this damn hourly two or three oil drips I have from under my dyno cover grommet
I really am pleased with the break in, high cylinder PSI and very low oil use.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
17 Oct 2015 10:40 #694905 by bountyhunter

Nessism wrote: The bike doesn't have a kickstarter. .

The electric will work just make sure you have a good battery.

1979 KZ-750 Twin