Oil Cooler Question

More
22 Sep 2015 11:01 #691394 by Tokyo_OG
Replied by Tokyo_OG on topic Noob Question - What is this?

pete greek1 wrote: If you do remove it you will have to replace the fittings where the hoses connect to the back of the motor with the stock fittings, so don't remove it until you get those fittings
Pete

That's super helpful thanks! Do you by any chance know where I could find those or what they might look like?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2015 11:30 #691399 by Grnole
Replied by Grnole on topic Noob Question - What is this?
agreed with ed. I would shy away from an oil cooler... unless you live in a dry hot area like new mexico or similar.... and plan on riding in scorching hot temps all the time. It is not even truly necessary in those situations... Kind of depends on the bike... how hot it rides, how good it rides... how it is set up... etc., they are kind of one of those pieces on bikes that people like to argue over needing and not needing. I know up my way in the north east, especially in fall - i would likely have to cover my oil cooler because it might make the oil too cool on a short ride and in turn i feel it could actually harm the bike.

If you need a part, try looking it up on a site with an exploded diagram like bike bandit. And if you need some guidance give Z1 enterprises a call. They can direct u to something they have, or perhaps an option for you.

1980 KZ1000 LTD -B4
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1972 Honda CL350 (sold)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 80B4

More
22 Sep 2015 12:00 - 22 Sep 2015 12:07 #691404 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Noob Question - What is this?
The oil cooler should connect to the engine in two places: on the right side below the ignition cover and on the left side below the stator cover (and I agree, on a 650 you don't need it).

On the 650s those two places originally had oil plugs, the OEM part no. is 92066-066,. Also each plug has an o-ring (18 mm), OEM part no. is 92055-1146.

As to where you can find them, I'm not sure since I'm in Europe, but these plugs are used on several models and shouldn't be hard to come by, wouldn't be surprised if a member here had a couple of spares.

Here's a pic of what the plugs look like:

And here's one of the right side plug, the other is directly opposite:

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Sep 2015 12:07 by OnkelB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tokyo_OG

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
22 Sep 2015 12:09 #691406 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Noob Question - What is this?
I think it might be kz650, so maybe fitted with a later sump with the oil cooler send and return fittings? .

There is a blanking plate available for the non oil- cooler equipped models, alternatively you can just join the send and return together with a length of pipe.

you could ebay that for some cash, period aftermarket bits are quite sought after.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
22 Sep 2015 12:33 - 22 Sep 2015 12:49 #691412 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Noob Question - What is this?
Oops, it appears that I was partially wrong in my previous post, sorry. The oil cooler does connect to the right side of the engine below the ignition cover (return), however the send is not connected below the stator cover but to the oil pan at the rear of the engine right beside the oil filter. Here's a link to installation instructions of a Lockhart type oil cooler on a 650:

kz650files.kz650.info/adobe/KZ650OilCooler.pdf

Anyway, the plug at the rear of the engine is the same as the ones I listed above.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2015 12:49 by OnkelB.

More
22 Sep 2015 13:29 #691414 by Tokyo_OG
Replied by Tokyo_OG on topic Noob Question - What is this?

OnkelB wrote: Oops, it appears that I was partially wrong in my previous post, sorry. The oil cooler does connect to the right side of the engine below the ignition cover (return), however the send is not connected below the stator cover but to the oil pan at the rear of the engine right beside the oil filter. Here's a link to installation instructions of a Lockhart type oil cooler on a 650:

kz650files.kz650.info/adobe/KZ650OilCooler.pdf

Anyway, the plug at the rear of the engine is the same as the ones I listed above.

That's awesome thanks for the heads up. i'm going to see if i can find the plugs and try removing that.

More
22 Sep 2015 13:51 #691417 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Noob Question - What is this?
I'm putting an oil cooler on my 750E during the rebuild process. Pretty much every air cooled bike made since the mid-early 1980's had an oil cooler from the factory for a reason. These old engines are pretty tough and will survive regardless, but keeping the oil cool can't hurt assuming you are up to dealing with the maintenance that the cooler entails.

More
23 Sep 2015 09:47 #691521 by DobbinsCMA
Replied by DobbinsCMA on topic Noob Question - What is this?
I would totally keep it. Seems those coolers are worth some money. I tried looking for one but couldn't find one. Never know, you might be able to sell it on here to someone to fund more of your build since it is in rough shape. Personally, I like having an oil cooler as I ride pretty hard without worring about the temp.

'80 Kz1000B4
MTC 1075 .375 webcams Mikuni RS34
KZ440 Project
81'KZ750E2 Project
Past- '81 Kz750H :(