Engine not turning over. Troubleshooting help.

More
17 Aug 2015 09:29 #686078 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Engine not turning over. Troubleshooting help.
The main reason for referring you to the manual is to help with use of the correct terms. Members will be able to be more helpful if they understand what you are really asking. Your bike has a Stator. It's on the left side of the engine and is part of the charging system. Your bike also has a Starter. It's a DC motor on the top left of the cases behind the cylinders. People were taking guesses as to what a Stater was. Neither are directly related to no spark. What you're looking at is the ignition.
Your points / condenser ignition has been replaced with an aftermarket Martek electronic ignition. I'm not sure if Martek is still around. It will not be covered in the factory service manual. I have the original Martek installation instructions as a .pdf. You can PM me with an e-mail address or if someone can tell me how, I'll post them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2015 09:34 #686079 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Engine not turning over. Troubleshooting help.
The part with the springs is the mechanical timing (spark) advance. That is part of the stock ignition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tokyo_OG

More
17 Aug 2015 12:11 #686095 by 650ed
Take a look at the image below. Your starter is under the chrome starter cover that the arrow points to. The "Martek 440" unit you show in your picture is an electronic ignition system component not a starter. I'm glad to see you plan to spend time reading through the manual. It really will help; I know it has helped me understand much about my KZ650. Ed

Attachment 00003a-88.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Aug 2015 13:37 #686107 by SWest
Did you take off the rotor from the spark advance, or is it missing. If so, you won't get a spark.
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
18 Aug 2015 10:05 #686219 by Tokyo_OG
Replied by Tokyo_OG on topic Engine not turning over. Troubleshooting help.

swest wrote: Did you take off the rotor from the spark advance, or is it missing. If so, you won't get a spark.
Steve

It's on there still. I took it off but there is only one way you can put it on so I just put it back on.

More
19 Aug 2015 06:53 - 19 Aug 2015 07:08 #686339 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Engine not turning over. Troubleshooting help.
Your bike has an aftermarket Martek 440 ignition system. Click the link in the last reply by swest for information about it.

Or search the internet for Martek 440.

I don't think this pdf will be much help, but it's martek stuff.
arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-101.pdf
Last edit: 19 Aug 2015 07:08 by martin_csr.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Aug 2015 07:19 #686342 by SWest
They seem to have issues. Might be better to get a Dyna S for your bike.
Steve

More
19 Aug 2015 07:36 - 19 Aug 2015 07:41 #686347 by LineArtist
Replied by LineArtist on topic Engine not turning over. Troubleshooting help.
As previously suggested - SLOW DOWN. If you start taking parts off that you don't know what they do, chances are you might break something and put it back incorrectly and never get that bike started. The other side of the coin is, if you get it started will the bike be safe for you to ride? That in my opinion is the biggest question when getting a bike up and running. Don't take that risk.

Get the KAWASAKI Factory Service Manual for your bike, first and foremost, study it and then start wrenching. 3rd party service manuals don't cover everything and are considered junk.,

'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R
Last edit: 19 Aug 2015 07:41 by LineArtist.

More
21 Aug 2015 12:16 #686627 by Tokyo_OG

swest wrote: They seem to have issues. Might be better to get a Dyna S for your bike.
Steve

I've been thinking about doing that. My issue is Wiring I don't know anything about wiring. I just tested the plugs and they aren't sparking, at least the ones on the right side. all the lights on that side of the bike don't work and neither does the tail light so I have some real wiring work to do. Anyone have any tips for re-wiring parts of a bike? I have the wiring diagram.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
21 Aug 2015 12:23 #686629 by SWest

More
27 Aug 2015 08:52 #687308 by Tokyo_OG
So I've been trying to troubleshoot the issue for a few days and I've got a spark. My grounds should be good and it looks like the spark plugs are finally sparking, but the engine still isn't coming to life. Any ideas?