Engine not turning over. Troubleshooting help.

More
16 Aug 2015 09:25 #685952 by Tokyo_OG
Hey guys! So I have a 1978 kz650 B that I'm restoring. It looks like the The guy who owned it before me put an electronic stater in it and took out the points plate. I'm under the impression the point and condenser are usually contained inside the electronic starter. I've put a new battery in it and spark plugs and the starter sounds like it's working. It even sounds like the engine is compressing but there is no spark. I almost got it to turn over a few times but I'm wondering what I'm missing. Is it an electrical problem? Any ideas you can give me would be much appreciated!!
This is what the bike sounds like. (Poor quality and dark, sorry!)

Attachment trim.19DF5F26-D270-4D1F-8224-C304A3D08473.mov not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2015 10:12 #685954 by scubaanders
Replied by scubaanders on topic Engine not turning over. Troubleshooting help.
Engine is turning over for sure.
So over to question nr 2. Do we have spark?

Gpz750R1 1982
Gpz750A1 1983
Gpz1100A2 1984
FZ750 1985
Gpz900R -91

More
16 Aug 2015 11:50 #685971 by Tokyo_OG
Replied by Tokyo_OG on topic Engine not turning over. Troubleshooting help.
The guy I bought it from said it needed points and a condenser but the electronic starter is where those usually go so Shouldn't that be working? My only two thoughts are it could be the ignition coils... but I'm new to bike restoration so I'll need to learn more about those, or it could be a wiring issue. The right turn signals and the tail light don't work so something is wired badly. The electronic starter looks like it was wired in hastily too. I wonder if the spark plugs aren't getting any sort of current. Other than those things could it just be the timing? I heard one cylinder fire a few times throughout the night trying to get it started.

More
16 Aug 2015 12:03 #685972 by Tokyo_OG
Is there a way to see if the spark plugs are sparking?

More
16 Aug 2015 14:17 #685986 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Engine not turning over. Troubleshooting help.
Wow, No the points and condenser are NOT inside the starter motor but on the right side of the engine under the points cover. The points cover it the one that has "Kawasaki" stamped into it.

More
16 Aug 2015 16:05 #685994 by 650ed
Welcome aboard! Sorry guy, but you sound like you are bouncing off the walls. I have 2 recommendations:

1. You need to SLOW DOWN!
2. Before touching the bike again you need to buy the Kawasaki Service Manual for you bike. They usually are available on eBay; just be sure to get one that includes your bike's EXACT year and model as there are serious differences between the various KZ650 years and models. No one has ever regretted buying the manual!

It is obvious from your posting that you are not at all familiar with the bike. That's fine, no one is born with that familiarity. Given that fact, reading the manual will impart the knowledge you need to be able to work on the bike. It is very important that you do things CORRECTLY because making mistakes on a motorcycle can get you seriously hurt.

Buy the manual and read the entire thing cover to cover. You will be amazed at how much you learn about the bike. You will still have questions, and you should ask them here before you do anything to cause a safety problem or possible damage. Folks here are happy to help, but I doubt anyone here would be pleased to try to key in all the information that is already written and accompanied by photos in the manual. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tokyo_OG

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Aug 2015 19:31 #686018 by SWest

More
16 Aug 2015 20:21 #686032 by DGA
With the key on, see if you have 12V to the positive coil terminal, if so then it could be a trigger problem.

"83 KZ1100 Spectre, '81 Yamaha XV750 Cafe, '74 Kawasaki H2B 750

More
17 Aug 2015 08:47 #686072 by Tokyo_OG

baldy110 wrote: Wow, No the points and condenser are NOT inside the starter motor but on the right side of the engine under the points cover. The points cover it the one that has "Kawasaki" stamped into it.

That's where the starter is.

Attachment IMG_2256.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
17 Aug 2015 08:49 #686073 by Tokyo_OG

650ed wrote: Welcome aboard! Sorry guy, but you sound like you are bouncing off the walls. I have 2 recommendations:

1. You need to SLOW DOWN!
2. Before touching the bike again you need to buy the Kawasaki Service Manual for you bike. They usually are available on eBay; just be sure to get one that includes your bike's EXACT year and model as there are serious differences between the various KZ650 years and models. No one has ever regretted buying the manual!

It is obvious from your posting that you are not at all familiar with the bike. That's fine, no one is born with that familiarity. Given that fact, reading the manual will impart the knowledge you need to be able to work on the bike. It is very important that you do things CORRECTLY because making mistakes on a motorcycle can get you seriously hurt.

Buy the manual and read the entire thing cover to cover. You will be amazed at how much you learn about the bike. You will still have questions, and you should ask them here before you do anything to cause a safety problem or possible damage. Folks here are happy to help, but I doubt anyone here would be pleased to try to key in all the information that is already written and accompanied by photos in the manual. Ed

Ha Ha! You are right I should slow down I'm excited about the bike is all. I actually have the OEM manual and a 3rd party repair manual that I haven't had time to read through yet but when I'm working on the bike I look things up. I'll take your advice and read through it so I can get more familiar with the bike. And I'll post some pictures so y'all can see.

More
17 Aug 2015 09:13 - 17 Aug 2015 09:15 #686075 by Tokyo_OG
This is the bike as it currently looks. She needs some love but she'll be a beauty when I'm done.

Attachment IMG_2331.jpg not found

This is where the "Kawasaki" logo is stamped on the right side. The points and condenser should be here but there is an electronic starter here. I took it out for the sake of documenting my progress. You can see the actual starter in there in an my earlier post.

Attachment IMG_2249.jpg not found

These are confusing to me. These are behind that starter. They look like points, but they don't look like the OEM points. Help?

Attachment IMG_2248.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Aug 2015 09:15 by Tokyo_OG.

More
17 Aug 2015 09:27 #686077 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Engine not turning over. Troubleshooting help.
So what you are calling the starter is actually the electronic ignition module, that explains a few things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tokyo_OG