Vacuum question

• gixxerkidd03
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jul 2015 07:25 #682954 by gixxerkidd03
Vacuum question was created by gixxerkidd03
I got two questions for you guys. one is in regards to valve cover breathers. I have mine capped off. Would I have to worry about pressure building in the head or should it vent?
Second question should prob go under carbs, sorry. I have the carb vacuum capped off except #2 which runs to my petcock? Does this seem ok or should they be looped together? Thanks guys
81 kz750e

1981 KZ750e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2015 07:39 #682958 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Vacuum question
The breathers on the valve cover are not vents. They allow fresh air to flow into the exhaust. There will be no pressure build up. Leave them blocked (or connected to each other).

Don't combine vent tubes to the carbs if you don't have to. Just cap them. It shouldn't hurt to combine them, but if there is no reason to, it's better not to. If one manifold develops a vac leak. it will be harder to figure out which one, if the vacuum tubes are combined.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Jul 2015 08:04 #682962 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Vacuum question
I did that years ago. It was said it would even out the carbs. BUNK I had pretty blue hoses connecting them. Looked cool but that's all.
Steve

More
27 Jul 2015 09:21 #682972 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Vacuum question

swest wrote: I did that years ago. It was said it would even out the carbs. BUNK I had pretty blue hoses connecting them. Looked cool but that's all.
Steve

Me too. I noticed no change. Probably because the carbs were set up correctly and sync' right anyhow.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• gixxerkidd03
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jul 2015 09:47 #682976 by gixxerkidd03
Replied by gixxerkidd03 on topic Vacuum question
Right on, thanks guys. I've been running it this that for some time with no issues. I just had a friend question it the other day.

Here's another question for you:

I had the pleasure of Doing a starter clutch in my bike this weekend. What's the trick to holding the clutch basket and torquing the center bolt to 96 ft lbs?

1981 KZ750e

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Jul 2015 11:24 #682995 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Vacuum question
If you don't have the tool, try using the rear brake.
Steve

More
27 Jul 2015 13:16 #683013 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Vacuum question

gixxerkidd03 wrote: ... I had the pleasure of Doing a starter clutch in my bike this weekend....

Ahh. So relaxing, like a perfect glass of lemonade on a sunny afternoon. :laugh:

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
27 Jul 2015 15:20 #683035 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Vacuum question
I link the carbs 1/4 2/3 .plus a T on one to the fuel tap, either it makes no difference or slightly helps carb balance, certainly won't do any harm.

You can lock the engine for the clutch centre nut with the brake or a timber through the back wheel. An air tool is invaluable here, I've done this by hand before but it needs to be mega tight . FSM advises replacement of the nut whenever disturbed.

Attachment 143803467752629.jpg not found

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
Attachments:

• gixxerkidd03
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Jul 2015 22:01 #683238 by gixxerkidd03
Replied by gixxerkidd03 on topic Vacuum question
That looks like the ticket. On a side note, I rebuild my starter today and tried to fire the bike but it seems like I may have fried my starter relay from cranking it to much when my starter clutch went. I tried to jump the two large terminals on the relay thinking I could jump the starter but I got nothing ? I ordered a new relay but I'm hoping to find one local tomorrow. But it doesn't seem like something any shop or dealer ship would have in stock. I'm tiring to get my bike running for a show/ ride here I'm portland on Sunday. Is it possible even after I rebuilt the starter ( brushes, bearings, thrust washers,ect) that the Starter could still be bad? Thanks guys

1981 KZ750e