Rotilla

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Jul 2015 16:15 #681406 by SWest
Rotilla was created by SWest
Being a die hard Castrol GTX 20/50 user for 40+ years, it was difficult to change. I've used it in all my vehicles. At this oil change I decided to put in a new filter and buy some Rotilla 15/40 to try it out. I wasn't having problems with my clutch but I don't like the fact they would change the makeup of the oil I've depended on for so long. Damn Lib's.
Immediately I noticed my idle became lower after a few miles. OK, I adjusted it.
Been riding the bike in the 100f heat watching my Temp gauge. It will average 240/250 (head Temp) running but at a stop light the gauge can and has pegged. No problems.
Been around 500 miles now and last week before I left my daughter's in the high desert, (about 10* cooler there) I checked my plugs. Still a touch rich but not too bad. I put in some B7ES's I carry with me to see if it cleans up. 4800ft so it's not a fair assessment. The exhaust note changed but it doesn't seem to run any hotter.
I did notice when I went to add oil, the level hadn't dropped. Normally I'd have to add 1/2 QT but didn't have to.
It's been almost a week now and I'll check my plugs in the morning. I don't like the idea of hotter plugs in the summer so I will clean my Split Fire plugs I bought a year ago when I had the fouling problem. Did a valve job and put in B8ES's to gauge how it would run.
I have the stock 1015 pistons and reused the rings with a light hone when I put them in. I expected a little oil burning and it did.
This oil may have stopped some of it but not all.
I'm impressed.
Question; the lower idle means more compression or less?
I'm going to be 61 - 10/01 and don't like changes or surprises. You know, old dog....
Comments?
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2015 17:03 #681412 by TheForumTroll
Replied by TheForumTroll on topic Rotilla
Do you know what its European name is? Isn't Rotella Shells oil for diesel engines?

-[ KZ700-A1 '84 ]-

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Jul 2015 17:34 #681416 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Rotilla
Yes, it's supposed to have all the additives that were taken out for emissions. The true test will be when I do my valve adjustment check or install my new pistons or both. I ran cheap oil in my 67 Pontiac Le Mans. When I took off the valve covers, there was 1/2" of sludge in there. No wonder I was leaving a cloud of blue smoke a 1/2 mile long. With the Castrol, it was clean as a whistle in my bike or truck. I hope this stuff turns out as well.
Steve

More
17 Jul 2015 18:13 #681428 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Rotilla
Steve it would seem to me that more compression would mean lower idle. I ran rotella in my bike for 8,000 miles with wasted valve seals and bad valve seats and the engine was very clean. I change oil every 500 miles or right after a long ride.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Jul 2015 19:25 #681436 by SWest
I can't believe it, it's hard to believe someone else is more anal than I am. :lol: I change my oil but not that often. :woohoo: Good thing I didn't try this stuff when my seals were shot. I'd still be running bad valve springs, bad seals and valves seating on carbon. :ohmy: I thought higher compression too but wanted to hear what our veterans had to say about it. :whistle:
Like I said, I'm slow to change but when it works, it works. B)
Steve

More
18 Jul 2015 15:48 #681546 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Rotilla
In all the years I have been on forums, I have yet to read a bad post on Rotella. The only thing is I read the "balance" of the additive package is a little heavier on the detergents because it's made for diesels but I don't think that hurts anything. When I run out of the oil I have stockpiled, I am switching to Rotella.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Jul 2015 17:36 #681557 by SWest
What's getting me is the lack of oil burning. :unsure:
Steve

More
18 Jul 2015 17:48 #681559 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Rotilla
Rotella is fine oil.

Hope you realize that plug temperatures don't affect the engine running temp.

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Jul 2015 11:04 #681804 by SWest
I was at Depot two weeks ago and the truck was down on oil. (bad rear main seal) They had Rotilla on sale so I bought a gallon. Same thing. Oil pressure is up and after sitting for a week, it satarted right up. I can tell I have higher compression too.
I just told my daughter to use it in her car.
Once again I'm impressed.
Steve

More
20 Jul 2015 11:09 #681807 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Rotilla
I found the 15-40 on sale at Wall Mart for $12.95 a gallon a few weeks ago!!! Bought three gallons and have only one left.... should have bought more.
I'll use it again after I swap the heads on my KZ1000 later this month.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Jul 2015 11:14 #681808 by SWest
I don't like changes but I didn't, they did and didn't tell us. That's the "new normal". :angry:
Steve

More
20 Jul 2015 11:27 - 20 Jul 2015 11:30 #681814 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Rotilla

swest wrote: I don't like changes but I didn't, they did and didn't tell us. That's the "new normal". :angry:
Steve

Yeah I still have that last big 4 or 5 gallon bottle of the Castrol GTX that I know will only use in my 97' truck or 05' SUV.
No more in KZ.....

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Last edit: 20 Jul 2015 11:30 by missionkz.