81 KZ440LTD Won't Start

More
09 Jul 2015 07:44 #680164 by Bunga
81 KZ440LTD Won't Start was created by Bunga
Last month I purchased my first bike, an 81 KZ440 LTD. Of course while test riding it everything sounded good to my (inexperienced) ears. Got the bike home and noticed that the float bowels on the carbs were leaking quite a bit of gas.
We decided to replace the petcock valve from the vacuum type to the manual after finding out that the gasket on it was shot and that was part of the gas leaking issues. Then we removed the carbs and did a thorough cleaning and replaced the carb boots (they also had cracks). That fixed the excess gas leaking.
Started the bike right up and took her around the block a couple times and things sounded okay.
Two days later, I went to take the bike out and I had no power. Took the battery in to Auto-zone and they tested it. Battery was done for. I replaced the battery and started her up, all was well.
Took the bike to work last Friday (this was my first “long” ride). Every time I got to and intersection or cross walk the bike would sputter out and die on me. Each time I would start her back up with the choke and we would take off. A few times when gaining a little speed the bike would sputter a little but continue to go. Once I finally got to work and made it into the parking lot the bike died. Ended up hauling it home with the pick-up.
Spoke to a couple people about the issue and they recommended checking the spark-plugs. Tested them and we have spark, replaced them anyways. Bike started up!
Went to start the bike last night, and nothing. I still have power and the bike tries to turn over but nothing at all..
I am at a loss here and could really use some advice. Should I be looking at the starter? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
09 Jul 2015 07:51 #680166 by SWest

More
09 Jul 2015 08:10 #680168 by Bunga
Replied by Bunga on topic 81 KZ440LTD Won't Start
we cleaned the carbs and used a carb repair kit. Then we made sure to sync them.

More
09 Jul 2015 09:40 - 09 Jul 2015 09:41 #680183 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic 81 KZ440LTD Won't Start
Carbs:
Wish I had a dollar for every time someone posted or told me that they rebuilt the carbs and they were spotless, perfect looking... new parts (junk aftermarket) and all that rot.... only to find out that they think spraying the carbs with carb cleaner and using junk after market jets, needle rods with a new "kit" needle and seat means they cleaned and rebuilt the carbs.
Ugh! No....
The average non-pro, newer back yard, do it yourself'er "mechanic doesn't really know how to clean carbs correctly.... Period.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Last edit: 09 Jul 2015 09:41 by missionkz.

More
09 Jul 2015 11:35 #680187 by Bunga
Should we take it into a shop then? Your totally right, I didn't know what we were doing except reading the manual and watching youtube videos on how to clean them. I even followed the step by step guide on kz440.com. I asked the local shop how much they would charge to clean the carbs before I did it myself and they quoted $350 without having to replace anything. I didn't even pay that much for the bike itself( I guess that what I get).
*when I did pull the carbs out, everything looked pretty good. There wasn't too much build up.

So big question. Is there a good and effective way to clean these things or should I just spend the money and have a professional do them?

More
09 Jul 2015 12:30 - 09 Jul 2015 12:33 #680197 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic 81 KZ440LTD Won't Start
Gads... I'd never pay that kind of money to have carbs redone... you can do it yourself.
To much typing for me right now but there are TONS and TONS of threads here on KZR that address all this.... especially the part about using very thin wires to gently push crud out of the hidden passage ways in carb bodies in conjunction with air pressure or from a can of Gumout or equivalent... which is the part that 90% of novice rebuilders miss.
Below is a start ....but it's easy to do a search here for carb rebuilding:
www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/598397-ru...-dies-at-idle#674990

And check out carb cleaning 101 and 102 here:
www.kzrider.com/articles/technical-tips

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Last edit: 09 Jul 2015 12:33 by missionkz. Reason: Added comment
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bunga

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
09 Jul 2015 22:00 #680276 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic 81 KZ440LTD Won't Start
Cleaning carbs was my bread and butter when i was wrenching. People wouldn't drain the gas before storing the bike. I charged $40 a carb and that was good money then. I'd do it now as long as nobody was in there before me. Parts are always extra. Sometimes they are too far gone.
Steve

More
09 Jul 2015 22:43 #680279 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 81 KZ440LTD Won't Start
I would check the battery --- maybe there's a problem with the charging system.

Carb cleaning. make sure all of the orifices are clear. use the diagrams to identify everything & to make sure nothing was missed --- some stuff can be hidden by a metal plug or polyester cap.

More
10 Jul 2015 06:11 #680286 by Bunga
Thank you for the information everyone.
After many phone calls and talking to a few people in the area I found a guy who will clean the carbs for $80.00 and show me how. I can handle $80 vs $350, plus I will still be learning. He said he will install and sync them too.
He did mention that he has seen a few older bikes that have been leaking fuel from the carbs, the fuel will eventually leak into the stater area and cause issues. Since owning it, when the bike is sitting I have put a shop towel under the float bowels to catch any leakage. (pardon my wording, I don't know any technical terms yet)
I think right now having this guy show me how to clean the carbs will be worth it in the end.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Jul 2015 08:59 #680310 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic 81 KZ440LTD Won't Start
I had a mentor while I was working on my first bike. If he knows what he is doing and willing to supervise your work, you have a best situation. Keep us up to date on your progress.
Steve

More
17 Jul 2015 06:32 #681302 by Bunga
Update-- The bike is running now!

Diagnosis, the carbs needed to be adjusted. The left carb wasn't letting any fuel through. Cleaned everything out, adjusted them and stuck them back on. Bike started up but was still sputtering when we went to shift into first. Took off the float bowels and saw a huge build up of rust. Took the carbs off cleaned them again then looked into the fuel tank. There was rust built up around the petcock.
Took the tank off and drained all the fuel....... Lots of rust. Looked at the fuel lines....... lots of rust too.
We cleaned the tank out and sealed it, Replaced the fuel lines, and put a fuel filter on. Started her up and she runs better than ever.

There is still a little sputter when taking off, but the guy I was working with thinks its because there are a couple large holes in the mufflers where it looks like the bike had been dropped onto something. I plan to fix it or get new mufflers.

Attachment IMG_0761.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0759.jpg not found

Thanks everyone for your advice. If you have any ideas about fixing the hole in the muffler, Id appreciate the input.
Attachments: