Engine cover screw

More
07 Jul 2015 17:15 #679947 by nickleo373
Engine cover screw was created by nickleo373
Hey everyone
I need to turn my engine over to TDC to start a head gasket job. The screws that secure the engine cover that I need to get to are seized. I was able to get one out with an impact driver but the other one doesn't want to move. I've tried pb blaster, impact drivers, grabbing it with vice grips, heating it up, and freezing it. I ended up stripping the head with my JIS screwdriver and had to use a dremel to cut a new flat head into it. I know some people with access to a welder would weld on a bolt and unscrew it that way but I have no access to a welder. Does anyone have any ideas as to a next step?

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2015 17:55 #679953 by weales
Replied by weales on topic Engine cover screw
No problemo - get yourself a 6mm heli-coilkit. Carefully drill out the broken screw using the correct drill (usually supplied with the helicoil kit) this will also remove the remaining thread which has seized onto the thread of the broken screw. Just ensure that you apply the drill to the centre of the broken screw - use a centrepunch to mark the centre of the screw and use a small pilot drill first.Follow the instructions provided with the heli-coil and install it - job done!

Current Project
1968 Norton P11A Desert Sled
Other bike (and daily ride)
2004 Yamaha FZR 600
Previous Bikes
78 Z1-R (resto)
91 Zephyr 750
73 Mach IV (Resto)
78 Z1-R
78 Z1-R (stolen)
76 Z900
76 Z650
73 Mach IV
72 Mach III

More
07 Jul 2015 21:48 #679972 by weales
Replied by weales on topic Engine cover screw
If you don't want to use the heli-coil thread replacement kit there is a nother option to get your broken screw out. Get yourself a set of "Ezy-outs" they are a tapered, hardened steel drill with either straight or spiral LH cutting grooves designed for the extraction of broken screws

. The method is to drill a hole into the broken screw (as close to centre of the screw as you can) this hole should be big enough to allow the LH Ezy-out to bite into the remaining screw - as you "unscrew" the Ezy-out the LH "thread" bites harder and deeper into the screw until it "jams" then rotates the broken screw remains out of the engine-case thread (that's the theory anyway!)

Be careful to NOT apply too much force to the Ezy-out or it may snap, then you'll have a helluva job to remove the broken Ezy-out as they are VERY hard steel! I tried to remove a snapped-off drain screw from a carb float bowl using an Ezy-out but have not been able to shift it yet and I don't want to snap the Ezy-out! I am waiting for a set of M6x0.75 taps with which I'm going to use to cut the remaining portion of drain screw thread out of the float bowl body.

Current Project
1968 Norton P11A Desert Sled
Other bike (and daily ride)
2004 Yamaha FZR 600
Previous Bikes
78 Z1-R (resto)
91 Zephyr 750
73 Mach IV (Resto)
78 Z1-R
78 Z1-R (stolen)
76 Z900
76 Z650
73 Mach IV
72 Mach III
Attachments:

More
08 Jul 2015 03:58 #679992 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Engine cover screw
Hit the screw with a solid lick with a hammer ! This seems to break the oxidation so you can remove the screw. Use Allen head fasteners to replace the Phillips head screws. Z1E sells a kit for the engine.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
08 Jul 2015 05:54 - 08 Jul 2015 05:56 #679997 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Engine cover screw
Kroil. Maybe recut an X into the screw head using a dremel & use a better penetrant.
Give it time to work & use vibration by tap tap tapping a wood block w a mallet or hammer.
LiquidWrench penetrating lubricant did better than the pbb in a test that's floating around the internet.
Kroil is supposed to be the best --- I've had good luck w the LW, but in this case, I'd probably get Kroil.
Last edit: 08 Jul 2015 05:56 by martin_csr.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 Jul 2015 08:39 #680021 by SWest

More
08 Jul 2015 10:44 #680035 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Engine cover screw
Use a drill bit one size larger than the thread size and center drill until the head is gone. This will allow you to remove the cover. You'll now have direct access to the frozen thread area for PB Blaster, Kroll or penetrating oil of your choice. Some of the screw's shaft will also be exposed depending upon the thickness of the cover. It should be enough to grab with a pair of vise grips and back the screw out.

More
08 Jul 2015 13:33 #680059 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Engine cover screw
Thanks everyone. I ended up getting easy outs and pulling it out that way. Luckily all the screws inside th cover and on the cover on the opposite side of the engine are stuck too. I'm expecting a fun day :whistle:

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

More
08 Jul 2015 14:31 #680063 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Engine cover screw
Just ride it for another 30 years until they loosen up on their own. Then use anti-seize when you put it back together ;-)

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)