Speedo

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Apr 2015 17:49 - 24 Apr 2015 17:51 #669454 by SWest
Speedo was created by SWest
Thanks to Jon one of our members, I got a used speedo for my Z1. It's in much better shape than mine, just a little clean up, paint and I should be good to go. I haven't run it yet but it's a good candidate for restoring. :woohoo:

The glass had some spray grease on the inside. Some rubbing alcohol, toilet pap[er, Q tips and it's squeaky clean literally. :laugh:

Some 320 and 600 paper, it's ready for paint.

The bezel cover is already painted, the back cover is in the process. It is the same color as my bike. ;)

He offered it to me for the price of shipping. I had my eye one one but couldn't buy it in time. If it works out half as well as I think, I'll send him what I was going to pay for the other one.
Thanks Jon. B)
Steve
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Apr 2015 17:51 by SWest. Reason: spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Apr 2015 19:37 #669462 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Speedo
Ready to go into the bike. I only crimped four places in case I have to open it again. I'll test it in the morning.
Steve

This is what I started with. Not too bad, Thanks again Jon.

Attachments:

More
24 Apr 2015 19:41 #669463 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Speedo
It looks great! :) Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

More
24 Apr 2015 19:44 #669465 by OutsiderKZ900A4
Replied by OutsiderKZ900A4 on topic Re:Speedo
Nice work!

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Apr 2015 19:47 #669466 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Re:Speedo
Thanks. If Jon gives me the OK, I'll give his handle. He's doing some good work too. B)
Steve

More
24 Apr 2015 19:55 #669468 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Re:Speedo

swest wrote: Thanks. If Jon gives me the OK, I'll give his handle. He's doing some good work too. B)
Steve

Your welcome Steve. Really nice job on the clean up. This is what I love so much about this site, a lot of really cool KZ owners helping one another out when we can.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
24 Apr 2015 19:59 #669469 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Re:Speedo
Other then cosmetics, was anything done to the speedo to make it work better, or work accurately, or stop the dog waging' tail needle syndrome old speedos have?
One of mine is so bad that at 65-70mph, it can read anything from 58'ish to 80mph!!

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
24 Apr 2015 20:05 #669470 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Re:Speedo

missionkz wrote: Other then cosmetics, was anything done to the speedo to make it work better, or work accurately, or stop the dog waging' tail needle syndrome old speedos have?
One of mine is so bad that at 65-70mph, it can read anything from 58'ish to 80mph!!

He hasn't tested it yet, I don't remember it being that bouncy. Its been 3 years since I had it on my bike which is why I only charged him shipping. In hind sight I could have tested it with a drill but I didn't have a cable anymore as I'm using digital speedo. I figured he would test it before making it all pretty and stuff.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Apr 2015 21:29 #669473 by SWest
Ya let the cat outta bag. :laugh: I've worked on these things since I first started riding. Sometimes they are irreparable like mine. Yeah I got it to stop bouncing, but the idler gear between the worm drive and the drum was missing teeth. If you'll notice, there is a screw with a slotted bracket. That is the shaft adjustment. The O ring of different thicknesses can adjust the speed of the needle. I put a new one in and the bouncing stopped but is was slow by 10 MPH. The old O ring was dry and falling apart. My old one wasn't worth messing with. I don't have it down yet but each time I learn something new. :whistle:
Steve

More
24 Apr 2015 22:43 #669477 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Re:Speedo
Where is this O ring? Is it in the magnet head or the conical coupler in the drive mechanism?
I have put a drop of highly refined clock makers oil on the pivot point of the conical coupler and bearing above.
That helped... a bit.
A lot of this wagging comes from the whole instrument vibrating on old rubber bushings and the bracket gasket....
My old one, below, is better but the reverse threaded shaft to the trip OD knob broke years ago!!

Somebody please show me how to fix this absurd wagging!! HA ha

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Attachments:

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Apr 2015 06:18 #669485 by SWest
You may not be able to. I guess O ring was the wrong word. I replaced the gasket. The shaft coming from the cable end could be sloppy. When I get my old one out, I'll dig into it. Yours looks better than mine did.
Steve

More
25 Apr 2015 08:08 #669496 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Speedo
Steve did the one I sent you bounce badly?

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project