does this sound like the clutch???(kz5550 help!!!)

More
03 Mar 2015 08:12 #663306 by whirlwind598
Ouch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2015 16:07 - 03 Mar 2015 16:11 #663352 by loudhvx
How are you deciding they are fried? You have to check the thickness and the runout according to the FSM. I have yet to see a set of 550 didsks that were thinner than the limit, but sometimes there is a little bit of runout on their flatness. They all look like yours when they come out, ie burned looking. New ones look similar to that as well, once oiled up.

I often see slippage right after an oil change if the oil was slightly over-filled. (The manual even mentions that as a possibility.) If the thickness is good on the friction disks, and the plates are flat, I would just get new springs and very very lightly scuff the metal plates with 500 or 1000 grit, but just barely. I recently went through this and scuffed the plates a little too much, and without changing anything else, the clutch now grabs hard, but does not completely release when the clutch is pulled in. So just a little scuffing went from massive slippage to dragging.

Stick with (new) stock springs and factory clutch.

Of course, make sure the clutch is assembled correctly and the adjuster and cable are adjusted properly. Have a look at the adjuster instructions in my signature. Some of the manuals are incorrect for some of the years (there are two types of 550 adjusters for the early years.)
Last edit: 03 Mar 2015 16:11 by loudhvx.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
03 Mar 2015 19:47 - 03 Mar 2015 19:48 #663391 by Tyrell Corp
look at the top friction plate pics Lou. new slippy oil in, slight unoticed clutch slippage on long run then clutch overheats until it is cooked?

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
Last edit: 03 Mar 2015 19:48 by Tyrell Corp.

More
03 Mar 2015 20:28 #663396 by RonKZ650
The clutch may have been slipping, this may explain the burn look, but burned enough to cause the bike to stall and act like it is in neutral? I doubt. Even 100% burnt plates and discs will still provide enough friction for some drive.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
03 Mar 2015 22:26 - 03 Mar 2015 22:37 #663405 by loudhvx

RonKZ650 wrote: The clutch may have been slipping, this may explain the burn look, but burned enough to cause the bike to stall and act like it is in neutral? I doubt. Even 100% burnt plates and discs will still provide enough friction for some drive.

Yes, I agree. I assumed there was probably more than one thing going on with the clutch, and he would find some broken piece or something to explain the neutral-like symptom. But now, re-looking at the photos, if the plates are in fact brown with burnt and gummy oil on them, maybe they can slip a lot more? I haven't dealt with anything that extreme.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2015 22:37 by loudhvx.

More
03 Mar 2015 22:34 #663406 by loudhvx

Tyrell Corp wrote: look at the top friction plate pics Lou. new slippy oil in, slight unoticed clutch slippage on long run then clutch overheats until it is cooked?

Yes, I agree that can happen, but I guess I just can't tell enough in the photo if the plates are actually dark or if the photo is making them look dark. They look to have oil on them, but is the oil thick and burned, or can they just be easily wiped clean. I have plenty of dark-looking plates that sem to work fine. If it really is burned, gummy oil, then I'd have to agree with that scenario, especially if no other problem is found.

More
03 Mar 2015 23:05 #663409 by lightitup
What i feel like what happened was i did an oil change and that flushed all the gunk oil that was keeping my clutch together out and started to make my bike slip. And the plates are burnt and just about bare metal. I ordered a barrent clutch kit with new plates and spring so im hoping i can start riding again after i get that installed

81 kz 550 ltd

More
04 Mar 2015 08:33 - 04 Mar 2015 08:34 #663451 by loudhvx
The plates with the gear teeth on the inside should be bare metal. The friction disks should have a very thin layer of friction material. In the photo I don't see any spots where the material has worn down below the rectangular pattern's grooves.

The wear limit on the friction disk thickness is 2.7mm, ( .106"), but oddly, I thought I recall the base metal is around .110". Maybe the base metal is thicker on the torque tabs.

Most of my 30 year old disks measure between .117" and .119".
The brand new EBC clutch disks also measure between .117" and .119".

Usually aftermarket brand disks slip more, so they require much heavier springs. Be careful installing them. Turn the 5 bolts in many stages. If you go uneven, the spring stud can break off. Also go easy on the torque. They strip out very easily. Use an inch-pound torque wrench if you can so you get more feel.
Last edit: 04 Mar 2015 08:34 by loudhvx.

More
04 Mar 2015 10:38 #663463 by whirlwind598

loudhvx wrote: The plates with the gear teeth on the inside should be bare metal. The friction disks should have a very thin layer of friction material. In the photo I don't see any spots where the material has worn down below the rectangular pattern's grooves.

The wear limit on the friction disk thickness is 2.7mm, ( .106"), but oddly, I thought I recall the base metal is around .110". Maybe the base metal is thicker on the torque tabs.

Most of my 30 year old disks measure between .117" and .119".

Usually aftermarket brand disks slip more, so they require much heavier springs. Be careful installing them. Turn the 5 bolts in many stages. If you go uneven, the spring stud can break off. Also go easy on the torque. They strip out very easily. Use an inch-pound torque wrench if you can so you get more feel.

Dont copy me and go foot pounds lol torqued the head off a clutch bolt I was lucky I had an easy out to remove it

More
04 Mar 2015 11:46 #663468 by 650ed

loudhvx wrote: ....Most of my 30 year old disks measure between .117" and .119".

Usually aftermarket brand disks slip more......

+1
I have found the genuine Kawasaki friction plates to be VERY high quality and last a very long time as long as the proper oil is used. Personally, I wouldn't switch to aftermarket plates or springs since the genuine parts work exceedingly well. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
04 Mar 2015 13:43 #663477 by loudhvx
Yes, I learned the hard way with the EBC disks. The required springs would have given Schwarzenegger a hard time in traffic.

At around that time, I called two local speed shops to find out what clutches they recommend. They both, independently, were very adamant to use nothing but OEM disks. I've been using nothing but, ever since.

More
04 Mar 2015 15:24 #663484 by lightitup
This is a better pic of friction plates

81 kz 550 ltd
Attachments: