does this sound like the clutch???(kz5550 help!!!)

More
23 Feb 2015 13:03 #662503 by whirlwind598
Im no mechanic but I don't believe the rear wheel should spin easily when its in gear, engine off.

Im with Tyrell on the actuator needing adjustment, if you have it too far in then it won't fully disengage, likewise if it is too far out it may not release.

Did you hear a loud pop when it stopped working?

Come to think of it your bikes system is probably different than mine. Thus I've no idea.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2015 13:15 - 23 Feb 2015 13:17 #662506 by lightitup
Im thinking it could be the plates but i wont know till i open her up after i get her back home right now shes at my sisters house where i dont have any of my tools. I did try adjusting the the clutch when i was on the side of the road a road service truck stopped and let me borrow a few tools to get the left hand cover off. I looked down the oil fill hole when turning the rear wheel and the clutch basket was only moving verry little and it looked like the plates where pushed away from the motor

81 kz 550 ltd
Last edit: 23 Feb 2015 13:17 by lightitup.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
23 Feb 2015 16:19 #662520 by Tyrell Corp
...and it looked like the plates where pushed away from the motor

Sounds like your clutch is stuck on, there are three adjusters: the casing, the cable and the lever, do it in that order.

Stick it on the centrestand or lift the backwheel once you have removed the l/h front sprocket cover casing, the clutch will be fully engaged (lever fully out, even though not connected) assuming it is not chronically slipping. Hit the starter and if you have drive to the back wheel then assume it is a clutch adjustment issue.

If you tilt the bike over a bit further than the side stand you can open the clutch drum without draining the oil.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
23 Feb 2015 17:52 #662526 by RonKZ650
Clutch plates can't go bad in that way, adjustment can't go bad either causing it, the ramp/ball release mech can't cause it either. Take off your left side engine cover, takes 10 minutes, Find the sprocket has come off the splines onto the threaded end of the shaft, if you're lucky the nut may still be there, if not you need a new nut. I'll guarantee you beyond a shadow of a doubt this is the problem. They sell crap aftermarket front sprockets that have no provision for a lock washer, the nut gets installed and later comes loose and falls off. Common problem.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
More
23 Feb 2015 18:32 - 23 Feb 2015 18:54 #662532 by Tyrell Corp
No nut or lock washer on 550's. Problem is something clutch related I reckon, hurried roadside fix attempt maybe
masked the original adjustment problem?

I looked down the oil fill hole when turning the rear wheel and the clutch basket was only moving verry little and it looked like the plates where pushed away from the motor

Last edit: 23 Feb 2015 18:54 by Tyrell Corp.

More
23 Feb 2015 21:17 #662553 by whirlwind598

RonKZ650 wrote: Clutch plates can't go bad in that way, adjustment can't go bad either causing it, the ramp/ball release mech can't cause it either. Take off your left side engine cover, takes 10 minutes, Find the sprocket has come off the splines onto the threaded end of the shaft, if you're lucky the nut may still be there, if not you need a new nut. I'll guarantee you beyond a shadow of a doubt this is the problem. They sell crap aftermarket front sprockets that have no provision for a lock washer, the nut gets installed and later comes loose and falls off. Common problem.

The operating arm or ramp/ball mech. Can be misadjusted to the point that it pops out of its home, I had that exact problem last year I badgered some of the more seasoned riders about. It might not be his issue but it was a possibility.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
More
24 Feb 2015 06:07 #662567 by Tyrell Corp
+1 above had that before, first time around as a novice it was a real head scratcher, not helped by the innacurate manual info.

OP when you take your clutch drum apart, if the adjustment doesn't fix it, check your clutch centre nut is tight.
They are tourqued crazy tight at the factory and difficult enough to remove without air tools. So tight actually that kawasaki recommend replacing the nut whenever it is disturbed as the threads deform. That basket is on a splined shaft, not sure on this but a few mm play from a loose centre nut would still engage the primary gear drive gears but could it affect clutch operation?

If the engine has been split or the primary clutch replaced previously this centre nut would have been disturbed.

More
24 Feb 2015 06:59 #662572 by 650ed
Yes, the clutch nut should be replaced each time with a correct new one (not just a generic 20mm nut). Tyrell Corp is correct that the nut will deform when it is tightened up. The reason is that the correct nut is a "prevailing torque" lock nut. This type nut has a portion of the shoulder that has been deliberately deformed inward toward the threads. When the nut is tightened, the deformation is forced against the shaft or bolt threads, and this makes for a very tight locking effect. However, as it is tightened the deformed part of the shoulder tends to be pushed somewhat back out away from the threads, so if the nut is removed and reused it does not provide as much locking force. Here are a couple pics of a new old stock nut so you can see the deformed part of the shoulder. Ed

Attachment 00003a_2015-02-24.jpg not found

Attachment 00003b_2015-02-24.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
24 Feb 2015 17:53 - 24 Feb 2015 17:59 #662656 by RonKZ650
Sorry about my misinformed reply on the sprocket coming off the shaft. The KZ550 does use a more improved process of keeping the sprocket on the shaft, so what else can it be? Still makes little sense how a clutch can stick open. That would be a good one i'll have to hear the nature of the malfunction to understand. Good luck and please post the remedy.
Just for info, I've had the nut come off the clutch basket also, and what that does is mimmick a bad cable. As the nut backs off, the cable needs tightened to compensate for the basket moving outward, it moves outward more and more, then finally the nut comes off, and you are stuck with no way to pull in the clutch, so stuck in gear. Finally is not really a good word, as by the time you notice a problem with clutch having too much freeplay, tighten the cable and continue riding, the nut will come off whithin 50 miles. This sounds opposite of the problem if you're stuck in neutral, however every motorcycle is different. It's possible the entire basket moved outward enough to where the basket gear no longer meshes with the transmission, so in that case it could be a consideration, but doubtful. Did you say the clutch cable/lever freeplay is ok at this point? If so it's not the clutch I'll still wager.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2015 17:59 by RonKZ650.

More
24 Feb 2015 18:18 #662662 by whirlwind598
That's something im thinking about as well, most kf what has been said would stop the lever from moving at all or having any resistance.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
More
25 Feb 2015 17:30 #662778 by Tyrell Corp
yes I guess if there is lever pressure there then the pushrod and actuator is still pushing against the clutch springs.

This clutch centre nut that went awol, had it been disturbed do you know?

More
03 Mar 2015 02:07 #663277 by lightitup
Took apart the clutch and my plates where fried

81 kz 550 ltd
Attachments: