kz750 Twin Cylinder Head removal

More
12 Feb 2015 13:54 #661411 by mazeman02
kz750 Twin Cylinder Head removal was created by mazeman02
Ok i have the top part of that holds the valves but i can not for the life of me get the part that holds the piston cylinders off the case. I have it off about a half an inch but can not get the pistons to slide all the way out. Is the chain and guides preventing me from removing it? I can not figure this one out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2015 19:19 #661432 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz750 Twin Cylinder Head removal
Better help should be along soon, but meanwhile, if a service manual is needed, the following links may be useful toward finding step-by-step procedures and other necessary information.

kz750twins.com/?p=15

biquetoast.com/cgi-bin/750ManualList.cgi

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Feb 2015 20:53 - 12 Feb 2015 20:56 #661447 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic kz750 Twin Cylinder Head removal

mazeman02 wrote: Ok i have the top part of that holds the valves but i can not for the life of me get the part that holds the piston cylinders off the case. I have it off about a half an inch but can not get the pistons to slide all the way out. Is the chain and guides preventing me from removing it? I can not figure this one out.

I remember there is a small nut to remove at the rear bottom of the cylinder, make sure it's out.

I think the rear cam chain guide has to be pulled slightly upward and forced forward to allow the cylinder to come off.

Be careful to keep the cam chain pulled up with a coat hangar or something so it doesn't drop down.

Also, the front cam chain guide assembly likes to drop down and is a PITA to fish out.

If not already done, the cam chain adjuster assembly at the front of the cylinder head needs to be removed.

You will need a FSM to do this job.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 12 Feb 2015 20:56 by bountyhunter.

More
13 Feb 2015 11:05 #661507 by mazeman02
Replied by mazeman02 on topic kz750 Twin Cylinder Head removal
Yes thanks I just didnt have the tension guide out of the way. Moved it and it came right off wheew glad i didnt bust it haha trying to pry that thing off.

More
13 Feb 2015 11:13 #661508 by mazeman02
How would you go about cleaning out the crank case? I was thinking of spraying it out with brake clean something that evaporates quickly. any ideas?

More
13 Feb 2015 12:19 #661513 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic kz750 Twin Cylinder Head removal

mazeman02 wrote: How would you go about cleaning out the crank case? I was thinking of spraying it out with brake clean something that evaporates quickly. any ideas?

On mine, I dropped the oil pan and sprayed cleaner upwards and let it drip down. I didn't spray any cleaners down into the crank case from above because brake cleaner attacks material like rubber sealer and plastics. You can probably use a cleaner like mineral spirits. IMHO, the best way to clean the engine is get it running and change the oil frequently when it turns black. High quality oil has detergents and solvents to clean the engine.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
13 Feb 2015 13:53 #661526 by mazeman02
thats a good idea. since im having to order a gasket kit for the engine anyways and yes that helps me understand because i wanted to be sure there would be nothing effected by brake clean (rubber etc) was unsure if there was orings in there. Basically this bike i acquired in a package deal and it has title however it sat outside for years with the spark plug holes open. however after honing the cylinders and cleaning the pistons everything looks to be brand new. IHowever since i had to hone the cylinders I will be getting new rings. The oil in the bike was extremely thin but not coagulated as it would be with water in it. So i suspect its in good shape there was some debri build up (sludge) of the oil drain plug when I pulled it so I have a feeling there is some build up. So I will pull the pan and clean that next thanks for the help! and ride on!

More
14 Feb 2015 15:06 #661614 by mazeman02
Inspected the carburetors and they are spotless with brand new gaskets and jets. Seems like the guy I got this from did a lot of work to it and then just gave up. Lifters and tappets are brand new also

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Feb 2015 15:16 #661616 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic kz750 Twin Cylinder Head removal
If you want to flush the engine, get a gallon of diesel fuel. Pour it in and let drain out the drain plug. Let it sit overnight, use some cheap oil, run it a little while, drain it then put in good oil and filter.
Steve

More
14 Feb 2015 15:56 #661618 by mazeman02
already have the engine tore down so possibly just pouring diesel into the crank case from the piston position and do you mean let the diesel sit in it over night?

More
14 Feb 2015 16:00 #661619 by mazeman02
any idea on how to check for stuck valves without taking off the springs? or am I going to have to do that and a lap job on them?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Feb 2015 18:32 #661631 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic kz750 Twin Cylinder Head removal
A pic of the head, pistons and cylinders would be helpful. If it has been sitting for a ling time soaking in diesel over night may be a good idea.
Steve