Plastic Media Blasting of Engine

More
06 Feb 2015 06:03 #660759 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Plastic Media Blasting of Engine
MDZ1rider - That is beautiful! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2015 07:06 #660761 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Plastic Media Blasting of Engine
Thanks. There's some guy on here with a 650 that set a high standard for me to shoot for. Not to hijack Grobbie's thread, but here are some "as found" pictures of the engine, Another member found the bike started the disassembly. He decided to move on to a different project. I brought it home in boxes.

Attachments:

More
06 Feb 2015 07:10 #660762 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Plastic Media Blasting of Engine
WOW! That is an amazing transformation! Those before & after pics should inspire anyone who ever considered rescuing a bike. That really is a great save! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
06 Feb 2015 07:25 #660763 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Plastic Media Blasting of Engine

Grobbies wrote: Not sure if this should be in the "Paint" section, but it is definitely relevant to the engine.

I spent approximately 30 hours getting close to my GPz's engine. Still a lot of dirt and paint left to try and get off. The motor was running perfectly before getting the bike apart, so I don't want to strip the entire engine down just because I wanted to re paint it (call me lazy?). My dad who works in the aeronautics industry said he can have the completely assembled engine blasted with plastic media, since they use plastic media to clean their more "sensitive" aircraft components. My view is that if I do use plastic media to blast clean/strip the paint and dirt of the motor, any plastic that might find its way into the engine will not be that big of an issue. If I spend enough time by making sure all holes etc. into the engine is properly sealed off, then surely this should work?

Any opinions on whether I should go ahead with this? Or any opinions and/or guidance from someone that has used plastic media to do blasting before?

Thanks

I tried out some plastic media about 7 years ago. I found glass bead works better. Granted, I didn't try different variations of plastic, only one.

When I say glass bead, I mean real bead, not the crushed glass you find in places like Tractor Supply. 30-50 & 50-80 work really well for me.

Attachment KZcases.jpg not found

Larry C.
Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Feb 2015 07:32 #660765 by SWest

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
06 Feb 2015 08:36 #660766 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Plastic Media Blasting of Engine
I'm lucky enough to have this Business close to my old neighbor hood. Been dealing with them for over 30 years.
Metal Preparations. www.metalpreparations.com/ .
This is mostly a Business site. They ship Truckloads all over the Country. Site has a lot of facts. No pricing.
I walk in for cash sales. Last bag of their finest size glass beads 25 pounds cost me $34. I get about a year out of a bag. Don't waste $ at Harbor Freight.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
06 Feb 2015 09:12 #660768 by Grobbies
Replied by Grobbies on topic Plastic Media Blasting of Engine
MDZ1, no need to worry about hijacking. We have enough of it happening here in South Africa, so pretty used to it by now hahaha. I honestly don't mind looking at photos of other guy's builds. It honestly encourages me to do better than what I thought I was going to do.

I believe in percussive maintenance.

More
06 Feb 2015 09:21 - 06 Feb 2015 09:26 #660769 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Plastic Media Blasting of Engine
Just a little caution for you guys media blasting a cylinder head. It's strongly advised to plug all the various openings to the internal oil galley passages. Kawasaki gun drills the passages and then seals them with metal plugs pressed into the head. If you glass bead blast the head without closing off the passages the grit will get down into these blind passages where it's very difficult to clean out. Using soda is safer than glass for this reason.

The head below was soda blasted. Plugged the openings before and tried to not blast directly on the susceptible areas. Scrubbed it down with plastic brushes and hot water afterwards to make sure any remaining grit was dissolved.

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG
Last edit: 06 Feb 2015 09:26 by Nessism.

More
08 Feb 2015 06:32 #660915 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Plastic Media Blasting of Engine

Nessism wrote: Just a little caution for you guys media blasting a cylinder head. It's strongly advised to plug all the various openings to the internal oil galley passages. Kawasaki gun drills the passages and then seals them with metal plugs pressed into the head. If you glass bead blast the head without closing off the passages the grit will get down into these blind passages where it's very difficult to clean out. Using soda is safer than glass for this reason.

The head below was soda blasted. Plugged the openings before and tried to not blast directly on the susceptible areas. Scrubbed it down with plastic brushes and hot water afterwards to make sure any remaining grit was dissolved.

There's not an oil passage on a 900/1000 motor anywhere that can't be easily and fully flushed out. The only possible problems you could run into are:

a - not flushing them properly
b - using media of a size that could actually get lodged in a passage

The factory service manual shows the oil passages and flow. The rest is common sense and proper flushing techniques....

Larry C.

More
08 Feb 2015 10:21 - 08 Feb 2015 10:32 #660943 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Plastic Media Blasting of Engine
The 750/4 engines oil passages are NOT easy to flush. You can flow water/solvent through them, but there is no way to run a brush or what have you through the passages to assure there is no trapped media.

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG
Last edit: 08 Feb 2015 10:32 by Nessism.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
08 Feb 2015 13:49 #660971 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Plastic Media Blasting of Engine
I have just this problem on an 1100 head, it was sand blasted and I need to drill out and tap the oil galleys, to allow for better cleaning.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
08 Feb 2015 15:14 - 08 Feb 2015 15:14 #660979 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Plastic Media Blasting of Engine

LarryC wrote:
The factory service manual shows the oil passages and flow. The rest is common sense and proper flushing techniques....

What do you mean by proper flushing techniques?
Last edit: 08 Feb 2015 15:14 by DoctoRot.