Leak from Stator cover

More
27 Dec 2014 13:04 #657099 by kz kev
Leak from Stator cover was created by kz kev
Hello KZ riders! I have just bought my first bike a 77 kz 1000. it has a drip from the wires in the stator cover, there was no gasket on the cover just gasket sealer. I dont have manual so i dont know if there is supposed to be oil in there or if it is a crank seal that is leaking. It is coming out of the grommit and if it is supposed to have oil i suppose i can just seal up the grommit and put the gasket on. The gasket looks like it is for holding oil so i assume its a wet alternator. Can anybody help me out on this one? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2014 14:19 #657113 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic Leak from Stator cover
Yes oil is supposed to be in the stator cover, there are new gromets available or you can try sealing yours up as well

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

More
27 Dec 2014 16:02 #657129 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Leak from Stator cover

kz kev wrote: Hello KZ riders! I have just bought my first bike a 77 kz 1000. it has a drip from the wires in the stator cover, there was no gasket on the cover just gasket sealer. I dont have manual so i dont know if there is supposed to be oil in there or if it is a crank seal that is leaking. It is coming out of the grommit and if it is supposed to have oil i suppose i can just seal up the grommit and put the gasket on. The gasket looks like it is for holding oil so i assume its a wet alternator. Can anybody help me out on this one? Thanks!

Hello, kz kev, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

Click here > www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...+1100&item=RIGROMMET

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
27 Dec 2014 16:03 #657130 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic Leak from Stator cover
Your grommet is rock hard buy a replacement from Z1 Enterprieses install then fill cavity void full of sealer let set up for 1 day install good to go for another 20 yrs.

1984 750 Turbo

More
29 Dec 2014 03:53 #657257 by kz kev
Replied by kz kev on topic Leak from Stator cover
cool i will just order new grommet. Thanks for the help guys it is much appreciated!

More
29 Dec 2014 05:51 #657259 by Patton
If a new gasket is also needed ---

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...00&item=KS72-2002I-1

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Dec 2014 06:12 #657260 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Leak from Stator cover
I had to cut the wires to install the new grommet and then solder it back with a couple layers of heat shrink. Maybe someone here has a better way of doing it. Maybe taking off the connector to do it.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Dec 2014 07:11 #657264 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Leak from Stator cover
The best way is cut outside the cover and stagger the connections. Heat shrink is good and I used the out side insulator of some irrigation wires. You could just re use the woven one if you can push it back and it"s still in good shape. Mine was not.
Steve

More
29 Dec 2014 07:14 - 29 Dec 2014 07:16 #657266 by Patton
When replacing the grommet, other considerations will also include whether to cut and reconnect the wires, or remove and replace the terminals at the connector ends of the wires, or other methods to help assure a leak-free result. There are numerous KZr topics and forum posts about this particular repair.

For example:

Cardin wrote: When I replaced the grommet, I put sealer up between the grommet and the case AND I put some through the wire holes... still leaked... the problem for me was the braided fabric wire insulation. Oil was wicking through it.

Once I yanked that and put in new wire, not single drop.

That being, it confuses me that they aren't born leaky. I suppose that insulator is a lot more supple when it's new... now here, 30 years later...

There is definitely just a few ounces of oil flow to the case there. And if you have the case open and you put the bike on it's side stand, there's more than a few ounces of oil on your driveway.

Patton wrote:

650ed wrote: I'm not familiar with the seal, but if it is all rubber (no metal ring) you may want to make a slice from the center to the outer edge, slip it over the wires, then superglue the slice back together making the seal whole again. Ed

Have always wanted to try that. :cheer: Just not positive that superglue would be the best adhesive. :unsure:

And why not --- as the grommet is relatively inexpensive should another be needed due to leakage through the re-joined area.

Here are many more KZr articles about replacing the grommet in the alternator cover.
Click here > kzrider.com/forum/search?query=new%20alt...te=all&childforums=1

KZr's FORUM > SEARCH feature USING keywords NEW ALTERNATOR GROMMET produced the above link.
Variations of keywords may be used to find additional information in KZr.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 29 Dec 2014 07:16 by Patton.

More
29 Dec 2014 07:23 - 29 Dec 2014 07:33 #657269 by Patton
For reference, here's the lubrication diagram as shown in the FSM (Factory Service Manual.)

Some models, such as large Kawasaki fours, have a little oil inside the alternator cover, as shown by the lubrication diagram in the FSM, such as:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 29 Dec 2014 07:33 by Patton.