Clutch/Transmission Jerk

• calvinhobbesfan92
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Dec 2014 06:52 #656155 by calvinhobbesfan92
Clutch/Transmission Jerk was created by calvinhobbesfan92
Hi guys,

I recently replaced the clutch cable on my bike. The old one was stretched and rusted. I snugged everything up and adjusted the cable to where it was no longer slipping. I've noticed now that when I let the clutch lever out slowly, I get a jerk jerk jerk like the drive shaft or clutch is clanking together. Anybody know what I'm talking about? Did I adjust my cable wrong? It doesn't seem to happen every time but, It is definitely noticeable when it does. Its just the first 1/4" or so of the lever contact. Any help would be appreciated.

83 Kawasaki Spectre 550 Bobber

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Dec 2014 07:01 #656158 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Clutch/Transmission Jerk
Sounds like a broken clutch plate. With the new cable, the clutch is expanding more exposing the damaged plate. Check the adjustments at the cover, middle and at the perch. If all good, check the clutch itself.
Steve

More
17 Dec 2014 00:40 - 17 Dec 2014 00:42 #656253 by D3
Replied by D3 on topic Clutch/Transmission Jerk
Did you change the engine oil? and use fully synthetic by mistake? This will give you the jerking described. If you did, have to completely drain oil and replace filter and remove all clutch plates, wipe out inside housings as much as possible, wash all plates as quickly as possible in kero and soak overnite in mineral oil before installing, Motul 15W-40 is good oil for these old girls. Might even have to give it a flush out to removed all synthetic oils once run/ridden for half an hour.

[URL[/IMG][/URL]
Last edit: 17 Dec 2014 00:42 by D3.

More
17 Dec 2014 06:21 #656265 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clutch/Transmission Jerk

D3 wrote: Did you change the engine oil? and use fully synthetic by mistake? This will give you the jerking described. If you did, have to completely drain oil and replace filter and remove all clutch plates, wipe out inside housings as much as possible, wash all plates as quickly as possible in kero and soak overnite in mineral oil before installing, Motul 15W-40 is good oil for these old girls. Might even have to give it a flush out to removed all synthetic oils once run/ridden for half an hour.

Full synthetic oil is perfectly fine to use, BUT whether you use synthetic or non-synthetic the oil must be labeled JASO-MA compliant or you will have problems with your clutch. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Dec 2014 06:55 #656269 by SWest
Ed, I have been using Castrol GTX 20/50 for 40 years and no problems. I use it in my bikes, car, truck and even in my compressor. I haven't checked but did they change it too? They all stock special motorcycle oil at a higher price. I've always like it when I pull the valve cover and it's clean inside. If they did, it'll PISS ME OFF! I'll look on one of the old bottles.
Steve

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
17 Dec 2014 08:15 - 17 Dec 2014 08:18 #656278 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic Clutch/Transmission Jerk
It is my understanding that Castrol is NOT JASO compliant ! It used to be a VERY popular choice for bikes back in the day, but now they are using "friction modifiers" that !@#* up our wet clutches...See above...Flush her out, &c....When I first got rolling on my project, I remembered using Castrol, & made that mistake...Fortunately, It was all garage time until I found out the error of my ways...just changed it a couple times, & have had no problems...Search threads for oil choices...( I use Rotella these days) Edit: Sorry, just re-read your last posting re: "old bottles"... if you are using old formula "NOS" oil it would be ok....just their new stuff applies to the "JASO " problem thing

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo
Last edit: 17 Dec 2014 08:18 by Grumpy Ole Artist. Reason: furhter info

More
17 Dec 2014 08:25 #656280 by 650ed
In the past I always used Castrol GTX 10w40 in my KZ650. After they changed the formula (without advertising that fact) my clutch began slipping. Coincidence? Maybe. It's possible that the 20w50 you use is not an "energy conserving" oil and may therefore not have the friction modifiers that damage wet clutches. Personally, I wouldn't take a chance on it since there are many JASO-MA compliant oils available that for sure will not affect the wet clutch. Ed

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Dec 2014 09:51 #656285 by SWest
Well, better to be pissed off than pissed on.
Steve

• calvinhobbesfan92
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Dec 2014 10:58 #656295 by calvinhobbesfan92
Replied by calvinhobbesfan92 on topic Clutch/Transmission Jerk
Thanks for the tips guys. I just whatever the standard motorcycle oil is at Autozone. Could be a mistake. I'm going to be replacing a few gaskets this winter so I think an oil change/ and flush is in order. What is the best oil to use on these old bikes anyways?

83 Kawasaki Spectre 550 Bobber

More
17 Dec 2014 13:11 #656307 by 650ed

calvinhobbesfan92 wrote: .......What is the best oil to use on these old bikes anyways?

That question will get you a lot of different answers. Lots of folks have great success using Rotella. I happen to use Mobil Racing 4t. Here's a study that provides some info that could be helpful. Of course the study was commissioned by Amsoil, so they come out on top, but that doesn't mean the whole study is bogus. It provides some insight into the various factors that comprise a good motorcycle oil. Ed

wpc.1c96.edgecastcdn.net/001C96/G-Items/...-archived/index.html

The following user(s) said Thank You: calvinhobbesfan92

More
17 Dec 2014 13:34 #656312 by j4k3
Replied by j4k3 on topic Clutch/Transmission Jerk
What kind of Rotella? My Subaru loves the t6. If I can use the same oil in the bike and the car that would be great.

83' KZ650

More
17 Dec 2014 15:53 #656320 by 650ed

j4k3 wrote: What kind of Rotella? My Subaru loves the t6. If I can use the same oil in the bike and the car that would be great.

That should work fine. According to the picture of the Rotella T6 label below it is JASO-MA compliant. Ed

Attachment 00003a_2014-12-18.jpg not found

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: !Seymore