transmission rattle

• jonarmstrong
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2014 18:31 #636231 by jonarmstrong
transmission rattle was created by jonarmstrong
A while back I mentioned I have a lot of rotation noise in my engine. I had a guy look at some other issues I was having last week and he said he thought the noise was the timing chain and it was unusually loud like it was hitting something. Since then I have really been listening to it and I don't think it is the timing chain. Sounds to me like its coming out of the back of the case kindof behind the clutch cover. The bike has always sounded like this since I got it running bit I've never been into the bottom end. It did, by the way, have some water in the bottom at one time from previous owner leaving it outside. I didn't see any rust on the crank or anything when I had the pan off, but there was a.little water came out when I drained it when I got it home. Any suggestions?

82 Kz1000 gpz1100 cams dyna ignition kerker k&n

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 Jun 2014 19:38 #636242 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic transmission rattle
Try to pin the area of the noise down with a stethoscope, then if in the clutch, remove the cover. Disassemble the clutch, and look at the components. You could have loose rivets on the clutch basket. Or possibly a bearing failure.
When you had the oil pan/ sump off, was there much debris in there?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• jonarmstrong
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2014 20:51 #636259 by jonarmstrong
Replied by jonarmstrong on topic transmission rattle
There was a little debris, nothing major. I cleaned it all out and made sure the pickup screen was clear. The noise is constant and rpm related. It sounds like its at the very back of the case and more prominent on the clutch side

82 Kz1000 gpz1100 cams dyna ignition kerker k&n

More
08 May 2015 19:23 #671189 by dnaj11
Replied by dnaj11 on topic transmission rattle
Did you ever find this out? I'm chasing noises which sounds like transmission gear whine, except I have pretty much ruled out cam-chain, clutch, transmission and starter gear noise. It's rpm related and may be like your noise, such that everyone has a different opinion with various levels of concern, if any.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 May 2015 19:45 #671191 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic transmission rattle
The concern is real. A catastrophic bearing failure can lead to case destruction, accident even death. It's nothing to be taken lightly. If it can't be located from the outside, splitting the cases is the only way to repair it.
Steve

More
09 May 2015 05:15 #671229 by etbike3135
Replied by etbike3135 on topic transmission rattle
IMHO noises at idle that go away when revved are mostly carb sync issues. A whining noise can be a bearing if it doesn't go away. Ive isolated these by removing the whole clutch basket and restarting the bike. I did have a bad input bearing on a GPZ one time and that was loud. I could also see the bearing cage coming apart so it was easy to spot.

1973 Kawasaki Z1
18 years in dragbikes

More
13 May 2015 19:40 #672005 by dnaj11
I also ran mine with the clutch basket off. The noise did not go away, which tells me it is the front end of the motor. I've ruled out the top end, so that leaves either (1) the crank may be slightly twisted on its pins (an 1982 police model, which I believe to be an early J model crank) or (2) a crank bearing or two. I'm leaning toward the latter but it could be both. Will check the crank with a dial gauge to rule out a twisted crank for sure. In this video, looks to me like the crank is walking. I feel I'm getting closer, yes?
[IMG

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 May 2015 20:02 #672007 by SWest
That is the primary drive gear and input gear. Most likely a bad clutch hub bearing. I suggest splitting the cases. No amount of looking at will fix it.
Steve

More
14 May 2015 08:01 - 14 May 2015 08:05 #672054 by dnaj11
You said that before and I appreciate your input, But as I mentioned before, it whines with the clutch basket off, They can not turn with the basket off, which rules out the clutch and transmission They lie dormant. So while I agree with you, I will have to split the cases, I was looking to fully vet all possibilities as I evaluate it. That's all,
Last edit: 14 May 2015 08:05 by dnaj11.

More
14 May 2015 08:15 #672056 by New 750
Replied by New 750 on topic transmission rattle
Not that this has to do with your issue but reading through the post, Swest makes an excellent and very true statement! My first motorcycle was a small 400 and the back wheel was making a strange whining sound for months, I ignored it, then one day I came off the interstate and on the ramp going 25 mph if even the rear wheel locked up and I instantly lost control and fell!, I had gear on and was OK, bike needed new blinkers that's about it, turns out it was my wheel bearing, point is any unusual noise like a bad bearing needs to be addresses asap, I'm probably over paranoid now! But I was going well over 70 mph moments before, I'm sure I would have been seriously injured or killed if it happened at those speeds. Just my 2 cents guys, ride safe!

1977 kawasaki KZ750

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 May 2015 08:48 #672063 by SWest
The drive gear and the input gear are always turning. The clutch basket only comes into play when it is engaged. You can wipe out those gears running it that way among other things including yourself. I don't want to see that happen to you. :(
Steve

More
14 May 2015 13:25 - 14 May 2015 13:39 #672108 by dnaj11
I appreciate the bike and it shan't be ridden. I have no qualms with that. What I don't understand is that with the clutch basket off, and also the ring gear behind the basket (which is part of the complete clutch assembly), the crank runs free, there are no gears left on the input shaft, the input shaft is completely bare, so that it can not turn cause there is nothing to turn it. Its all theory now, cause we both agree to split the cases.

But In theory, the primary drive is gone expect for the gear on the crank, which has nothing to turn. i.e, everything on the clutch side was removed except for the clutch cable housing. Well, that's was just for the test. I've since put it together . . . unless there is something I don't understand, Where was our impasse?
Last edit: 14 May 2015 13:39 by dnaj11.