Installing Cam Chain Tensioner

More
30 Apr 2014 06:53 #630899 by JimB
Replied by JimB on topic Installing Cam Chain Tensioner
As martin states, don't remove the top roller. It will be hard to count 28 pins with it in because you cannot seem them right at the roller but count a couple of times to make sure you are accurate. Good pics btw. Your bike will have arrows that will be pointing at and level with the front and rear cam cover

1978 KZ1000A2, 1980 KZ1000E, 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2014 18:22 #630963 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Installing Cam Chain Tensioner
Good point martin_csr. Mine idler tower is off because its a aftermarket tower and I put the motor in the frame earlier and I didn't want it to hit while trying to install the motor. A easy way to count the pins is count all the pins visible. Then mark the two pins that start and finish the tower. Then roll the motor enough till you can count the pins between the marks.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
02 May 2014 09:50 #631123 by Bandit406
Replied by Bandit406 on topic Installing Cam Chain Tensioner
Ok thanks for all the help guys!! I have yet to tear into as I was still looking for a manual, with no luck... I should be getting my gaskets with in the next day or 2 and plan on tearing into it. I think they are calling for rain this weekend so it will be a good time to work out in the garage on the bike. When I go to start I will throw some pics up so that maybe you guys can assist me in making sure I get this right the first time. Also was going to ask if it would be a waste of money to buy the clymer manual? I can find all kinds of them online. Thanks again guys!!!

Strap up them Tanker Boots and Charlie Mike!!!

More
02 May 2014 10:07 #631126 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic Installing Cam Chain Tensioner
don't waste your money on a Clymer or Haynes manual, get a Kawasaki service/workshop manual, specific to your year & model bike ...Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

More
02 May 2014 10:51 #631129 by Bandit406
So my gaskets just arrived so I will be diving in here so. Will this manual help me at all in doing this? www.kawiworld.com/images/stories/KZ1100man.pdf I cant find one just yet. I think though I may be ok with your guys photos and information you have shared thus far. But was wondering if I could use this as a reference in a pinch? Going to go get the stuf to clean my tank up today and start with that and tear into the bike tomorrow. I messed up and forgot to order my cam end plugs so I have plenty of time to get this done ha ha.

More
03 May 2014 17:05 #631229 by Bandit406
Started diving in to it today replace a few of the gaskets and hopefully re installed the cam chain tension-er properly. I am about to pull the crank cover and valve cover and get some pics on here and hopefully with the info you all have share and the pics I throw up here , I can get this lined out!

More
03 May 2014 22:13 #631251 by Bandit406
Ok guys I got the Valve cover off and I got the Timing advancer exposed. Here is where they are sitting. So I am stopping for tonight to see what you guys have to say. Will my next step be to rotate the crank to get tdc?

Attachments:

More
04 May 2014 08:53 #631285 by Powerstroke_fan
I would slowly try to rotate to tdc for 1&4. Just go slow and if it starts to get tight stop and back it up a little. But since its already been turned over with the tensior out. I would think that if there gonna hit, it woulda done it last time. Unless it just skipped at the very end. But just go slow. It hard to tell from the angles of the pictures. But it appears they could be close to being it time. Youll just have to turn it to tdc to find out.

Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
And Much Much more- SOLD

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bandit406

More
04 May 2014 09:41 #631289 by Bandit406
outstanding thank you. I got a few things to do today but here alter I will be working on it and then throw up some more pics.

More
04 May 2014 10:06 #631291 by Bandit406
So I got a bit of time and went and turned it with no problems and no resistance. Do I need to take off the guide to get an accurate count of the pins?

Attachments:

More
04 May 2014 10:57 #631295 by Bandit406
went back and looked at the info you guys already shared and turned the crank one more full ration to get the lobes point inward at each other. then counted the right side pins to 15 marked it counted the left side to 8 and marked it rolled it forward to count the pins under the roller and got 5 that makes 28 right? so if i am not mistaken my timing should be fine.

Attachments:

More
04 May 2014 18:26 #631331 by Powerstroke_fan
As long as your at tdc on the crank then yes. Its still in time. I would recommend checking valve clearances while you have the valve cover off.

Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
And Much Much more- SOLD

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bandit406