Installing Cam Chain Tensioner

More
28 Apr 2014 15:23 - 28 Apr 2014 15:25 #630730 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Installing Cam Chain Tensioner
Good point martin_csr. Be sure you clean up everything before removing the valve cover. I personally use a craftsman battery impact driver on the ones that can be reached. But you might need a new valve cover gasket. It depends on how your org cam end caps look. You can buy aluminum ones that will never have to be replaced. Theyre not really that expensive. I personally would go ahead and buy a new valve cover gasket. If yours is very many years old. but its really pretty simple job. Ive did it more times than I can count lol.
youll want to keep in mind that if ur bike has the orginal motor. Its a 1980 kz1000 b4ltd? If so its a mk11 motor, so you will have a to watch your count on your cam chain links. I believe its the 28th pin for mk11s.
You will also make sure you have a good proper range torque wrench for your cam caps.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now
Last edit: 28 Apr 2014 15:25 by Powerstroke_fan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bandit406

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2014 18:21 #630747 by Bandit406
Replied by Bandit406 on topic Installing Cam Chain Tensioner
First off, thank you guys !!!
Next this bike to my knowledge is 100% original. I have done quite a bit of wrenching on cars and trucks by no means am I a mechanic but with driving old vehicles I am fastly becoming one lol.
I am pretty new to wrenching on motorcycles though. When I acquired the bike about a year and a half ago it did not run. Had to clean rust from tank, cleaned carbs and added new gaskets, added new fuel lines, added in line fuel filters, new petcock valve, ordered new rear break pads (not installed yet) New battery, and removed air box and added pod air filters. I know my carbs need to be re-jetted and synced.
So I am gaining confidence in this but still a bit on the fence. But the more I research the more I feel I can do this. (I hope) I think I will order the new gasket set for the valve and Cam caps. because as far as I know they are original. The bike has 28,500 original miles on it. I had it running before I went and jacked with it lol but was running pretty rough mainly due to needing re-jetted and sync I believe. So I am going to try and dive into it. When I do I will get some pics up here and see if I cant get it lined out.
Again thanks for all of your reply s and hope to have this old beast back on the road sooner then later!!!

Strap up them Tanker Boots and Charlie Mike!!!

More
28 Apr 2014 19:27 #630755 by Bandit406
Ok so here is a couple pics I took with my phone. When I tear into it I will get the camera out because I am not sure how well this phone one does. Also Should I move this over to the "Project" section to keep the forum nice and tidy?? Thanks again for everyone's reply's.

Attachments:

More
29 Apr 2014 04:14 #630774 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Installing Cam Chain Tensioner
Pics are fine. Keep going with this thread, you are in the correct place for this issue.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
29 Apr 2014 04:19 #630776 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Installing Cam Chain Tensioner
do you have a factory manual?

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
29 Apr 2014 08:01 #630789 by Bandit406
I found one online for a kz1100 and kz1000, I know it is not my exact manual and I am going to order a hard copy Model specific manual today. But until I get one here in my hands, I read this one will be useful and that there are not many differences in the models. But to be certain I want to get one that covers my model.

More
29 Apr 2014 08:05 #630790 by Bandit406
I have found a "Kawasaki KZ1000 B4 LTD Motorcycle Service Manual Supplement" will this one work or do I need another manual to go with it?

More
29 Apr 2014 08:19 - 29 Apr 2014 08:27 #630791 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Installing Cam Chain Tensioner
If the pdf manual you found covers the 81-on KZ1000, it may not be applicable to your bike as they have a Hy-Vo cam chain w rubber slipper cam guides. According to the diagrams, the 1980 KZ1000-B4 Ltd has a roller cam chain w roller guides.

Edit: I think you'll need a previous year's manual in addition to the supplement. Hopefully, someone can tell you which one to get.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2014 08:27 by martin_csr.

More
29 Apr 2014 08:32 #630792 by Bandit406
Awesome Thanks Martin!!! I am ordering the supplement one now. Ordered a complete engine cover gasket set last night and going to order the cam caps today as well. Can you think of any thing else that I may want to order and have on hand before diving into this project?

More
29 Apr 2014 08:39 #630794 by Bandit406
So I looked at the manual again that I was going to order and it says to use in conjunction with the KZ1000 Service manual part No. 99924-1006-03 having trouble finding that specific one. Anyone got some leads on where to find that? I am going to check for the previous year that Martin mentioned see if that turns anything up.

More
29 Apr 2014 08:43 #630795 by JimB
Replied by JimB on topic Installing Cam Chain Tensioner
Bandit, the supplement will not provide that much info on the task at hand. Cam chain timing is in the main manual. You will need a torque wrench, use inch pounds on the cam cover botls not ft pounds. They are easily stripped. For the timing make sure you are aware of what the cam alignment arrows are and how to turn the motor over from the big nut inside the advancer cover

1978 KZ1000A2, 1980 KZ1000E, 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD

More
29 Apr 2014 08:49 #630796 by Bandit406
Is there a manual you would recommend? I have read alot of guys claim the Clymers manual are not much help sooo not sure what to order lol. Also will be buying an inch pounds torque wrench today as well especially since I have a real bad habit of over tightening things!!!