Loud Rattling Coming from gearbox

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
More
13 Feb 2014 15:17 #622150 by Bozo
Replied by Bozo on topic Loud Rattling Coming from gearbox

daveo wrote: A couple years ago the three starter-clutch mounting bolts became loose on my engine. Whether that caused magnet breakage on the engine rotor (or the opposite), I don't know. But that is what happened in my case.

Before discovering the culprit, I thought sure something was loose behind the transmission cover.

Somehow my attention arrived at the generator cover. When lightly placing my hand on the cover, I literally felt something wasn't right behind it, with engine idling and the bike on the center-stand. If you try this, do it while the motor is warming up, because that cover becomes very-hot.

This may not be the problem you are having, but it could be. :unsure:
Good luck...

Good call Daveo, considering that I'm having the same problem currently I don't know why I didn't mention this. My problem was slightly different though where the aluminium part was actually loose on the steel boss that goes onto the crank taper. I could actually rock the outer rotor while mounted tight on the shaft.

First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as FJ above)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2014 16:41 - 13 Feb 2014 17:16 #622152 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Loud Rattling Coming from gearbox
Bozo wrote:
Good call Daveo, considering that I'm having the same problem currently I don't know why I didn't mention this. My problem was slightly different though where the aluminium part was actually loose on the steel boss that goes onto the crank taper. I could actually rock the outer rotor while mounted tight on the shaft.

Ouch... :ohmy:
I wound up with an Electrex RO3-02 rotor (replacement for the RO3 on-which the magnet separated, covered by the 1 year Electrex warranty). It didn't fit correctly on the engine without having to shorten the starter-clutch gear (hub length) to allow the rotor/crank tapers to snug up, and not bind the starter-clutch mechanism against the engine case while tightening the rotor bolt. That was a major pain in the azz (way-worse than explaining it), but it works really well now. The RO3 rotor has a one-piece machined housing and continuous magnetic strip, is precision balanced...and the engine now seems-so too.
Hope this helps...

Attachment IMG_7264.jpg not found

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Feb 2014 17:16 by daveo. Reason: clarify subject

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
More
16 Feb 2014 04:03 #622430 by Bozo
Replied by Bozo on topic Loud Rattling Coming from gearbox

daveo wrote: Bozo wrote:

I wound up with an Electrex RO3-02 rotor (replacement for the RO3 on-which the magnet separated, covered by the 1 year Electrex warranty). It didn't fit correctly on the engine without having to shorten the starter-clutch gear (hub length) to allow the rotor/crank tapers to snug up, and not bind the starter-clutch mechanism against the engine case while tightening the rotor bolt. That was a major pain in the azz (way-worse than explaining it), but it works really well now. The RO3 rotor has a one-piece machined housing and continuous magnetic strip, is precision balanced...and the engine now seems-so too.
Hope this helps...

Daveo, I've seen the same type of rotor for my Z1R and I contemplated buying one. My current rotor has some scoring on the taper (spun on taper), because of that my rotor does not go in far enough causing a bit of slop on the starter gear (can be rocked slightly sideways).
Once you got your rotor to work, was there any other difference to standard?? i.e heavier, less power??

First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as FJ above)

More
16 Feb 2014 09:52 - 17 Feb 2014 05:36 #622454 by daveo
Bozo wrote:
Once you got your rotor to work, was there any other difference to standard?? i.e heavier, less power??

I don't know...neither heavier (weight) or less power, but a much-smoother engine.
If you are considering the purchase of an Electrex RO3 rotor, inquire specifically about the RO3-02 (pictured above). . You will need to shorten the rotor bolt length by .5" or so, to compensate for hub/crank variation.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 17 Feb 2014 05:36 by daveo.

More
11 Jan 2016 20:20 #706392 by Chris_Z1100
Replied by Chris_Z1100 on topic Loud Rattling Coming from gearbox

Bozo wrote:

daveo wrote: Bozo wrote:

Hope this helps...

Daveo, I've seen the same type of rotor for my Z1R and I contemplated buying one. My current rotor has some scoring on the taper (spun on taper), because of that my rotor does not go in far enough causing a bit of slop on the starter gear (can be rocked slightly sideways).

Bozo I have noticed that my starter gear does the same. I think this may be the source of the rattle and be causing the magnets to crack. The previous owner told me that he replaced the rotor before selling it to me so if it cracked again so soon there's definitely something else wrong. did you manage to sort a solution to stop it rocking?
I tried to sync the carbs but one refuses to match the other 3. However no matter the sync status, the rattle persists unchanged.

Apologies for the thread revival but after moving house, braking my rear suspension trying to tighten the rotor bolt (don't ask), finding a shagged air mixture screw and having to replace a carb body, replacing the starter motor, and fixing the fuel tank, I'm finally able to revisit this. Truth be told I actually forgot I posted here and only realised today when I went looking for a solution to my rattle (again!!). This in combination with a heap of other problems is making me resentful of this bike :(

More
12 Jan 2016 03:17 #706401 by daveo
Choose original Genuine Kawasaki parts, whenever possible. After both aftermarket rotors failed, I'm back with what works. ;)

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
12 Jan 2016 12:38 - 12 Jan 2016 12:40 #706454 by Chris_Z1100
Thanks Daveo, I currently don't want to replace anything though until I know the rattling's sorted... Is the starter gear supposed to have any freedom to tilt?
Last edit: 12 Jan 2016 12:40 by Chris_Z1100 .

More
12 Jan 2016 13:25 - 12 Jan 2016 13:48 #706456 by daveo

Chris_Z1100 wrote: Thanks Daveo, I currently don't want to replace anything though until I know the rattling's sorted... Is the starter gear supposed to have any freedom to tilt?

A pic might help, but when the generator cover is removed you may be able to move the support pin (and gear) side to side a little, since the exposed end of the pin is no-longer aligned by the cover.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jan 2016 13:48 by daveo.

More
12 Jan 2016 15:15 - 12 Jan 2016 15:29 #706473 by Chris_Z1100
Sorry wrong gear, I'm talking about the starter clutch gear, just behind rotor.

can't get the photo to attach for some reason.... :angry:
Last edit: 12 Jan 2016 15:29 by Chris_Z1100 .

More
12 Jan 2016 16:01 #706481 by daveo
The starter "clutch" gear is supposed to be loose enough to spin freely, but with a slight amount of friction felt while rotating it.
I recall having the ability to rock the gear off axis slightly, with the correct thickness rubber spacer installed behind the gear, since it does fit somewhat loosely on the bearing on the crank. :side:
IMO that would not cause the type of rattle noise you mentioned, but do seek additional opinions about that.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
12 Jan 2016 16:24 #706493 by Chris_Z1100
Well if that's not it, I'm back to square one here then :unsure:
Maybe I'll take the bike in somewhere to get synced professionally. If the rattle's still there I'll start pulling more things off... I've got to do a rebuild at some point to try and stem some of the oil leaks...

More
12 Jan 2016 18:05 #706518 by daveo

Chris_Z1100 wrote: Well if that's not it, I'm back to square one here then :unsure:
Maybe I'll take the bike in somewhere to get synced professionally. If the rattle's still there I'll start pulling more things off... I've got to do a rebuild at some point to try and stem some of the oil leaks...

It's all a very worthwhile learning process. Do it yourself and put the money saved into a Morgan Carb Synchronizer, to enjoy using over and over... ;)

1982 KZ1100-A2