• Page:

TOPIC:

1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD only 2 cylinders running 25 Jan 2014 18:10 #620034

• 80kz1000ltd
  • 80kz1000ltd's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey everyone,

I'm brand new to this website, didnt even know it existed! anyways i have a 1980 KZ LTD 1000 and my dad bought her new back in 1980, and the thing only has 19000 km on it looks brand new, but she is only running on 1 or 2 cylinders and has no power like it did on all 4. Now im not a mechanic, i dont work on cars, or motorcycles, i only work on airplanes and i know nothing about these bikes. Can anyone help me? i just need to know what the problem is and how to fix it to run on all 4 so i can start riding her soon.

Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD only 2 cylinders running 25 Jan 2014 18:36 #620036

• KZ1979LTD
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Much more savvy mechanic types will chime in soon I'd say. Till they show up youre stuck with me. I have a '79 LTD. Check to make sure you are getting spark to each cylinder. Do the sparkplug ground against the head to see if you are getting spark. Maybe you have a bad coil. Try that first. More knowledgeable help will show up soon. Welcome to the site. Tom (sharp bike by the way. Looks almost as good as a'79) ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 80kz1000ltd

Last edit: by KZ1979LTD.

1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD only 2 cylinders running 25 Jan 2014 18:41 #620037

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
Hello, and welcome to the forum. Very nice stock bike you have. We would be glad to help you.

If the bike runs, check and see which pipe gets hot....you can spray water on them with a spray bottle. That way you can tell the non firing cylinders.

If you have a spark tester, you can check that way.

Is the battery 100% charged?

Your bike has two coils. The coils both have two plug wires coming out of them, hence 4 cylinders.

One coil will fire cylinders 1 and 4 and the other cylinders 2 and 3.

If the correct cylinders are dead, could be one of the coils. Example, if its cylinders 1 and 4....that coil is bad, the module on the ignition plate might be bad or its an wiring issue.

Also, that bike should be an electronic ignition......could have a bad pickup on the ignition. The ignition has two sides. One side for each of the two coils. If one of the pickups or modules are bad, it wont send the power to the coil.

Could be the igniter or the resister also, going to have to eliminate these items as the culprit.

It could be as simple as a corroded connection or loose wire.

Spencer

Last edit: by 4TheKZ1000.

1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD only 2 cylinders running 25 Jan 2014 18:59 #620038

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
This will help you with some diagrams and part numbers.

www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-1979-kz1000-b3-kz...odel15390/partslist/

1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD only 2 cylinders running 25 Jan 2014 19:14 #620040

• 80kz1000ltd
  • User
Thanks guys,

I'm thinking it's either the spark or the coil, 1 of the 2. The bike hasn't been riden in a while, so that's probably it and thanks guys she's a beautiful bike, I'm only 15 but I mean I can't wait to ride it! I want to put the v&h sidewinder exhaust on it eventually.
Thanks

1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD only 2 cylinders running 25 Jan 2014 19:51 #620043

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Before you change the exhaust, or anything else, consider this - there are VERY FEW bikes more than 30 years old that survived in sweet, stock condition like yours! That makes them much more rare and more valuable than bikes that have been modified over the years. If you absolutely must go fiddling with it and changing stuff, because frankly you are too young to appreciate the great machine as it stands today, do NOT damage or modify the original parts - especially the exhaust system or the original paint. Those things are impossible to replace and folks who are trying desperately to restore bikes to the condition yours is already in will be happy to pay big bucks for original parts in excellent condition. You may even want to consider selling the bike as is and buying a new or newer bike to learn on and modify. Please don't be offended by my remarks. Like so many others, I made the same mistakes when I was 16 - it's a natural part of being immature, but you have an opportunity to lessen the impact by fiddling with a bike that isn't a mint, vintage machine. The link below has some info that should be helpful in maintaining the KZ. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/589649-...r-savannah-ga#594587
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD only 2 cylinders running 25 Jan 2014 20:05 #620045

• 80kz1000ltd
  • User

650ed wrote: Before you change the exhaust, or anything else, consider this - there are VERY FEW bikes more than 30 years old that survived in sweet, stock condition like yours! That makes them much more rare and more valuable than bikes that have been modified over the years. If you absolutely must go fiddling with it and changing stuff, because frankly you are too young to appreciate the great machine as it stands today, do NOT damage or modify the original parts - especially the exhaust system or the original paint. Those things are impossible to replace and folks who are trying desperately to restore bikes to the condition yours is already in will be happy to pay big bucks for original parts in excellent condition. You may even want to consider selling the bike as is and buying a new or newer bike to learn on and modify. Please don't be offended by my remarks. Like so many others, I made the same mistakes when I was 16 - it's a natural part of being immature, but you have an opportunity to lessen the impact by fiddling with a bike that isn't a mint, vintage machine. The link below has some info that should be helpful in maintaining the KZ. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/589649-...r-savannah-ga#594587

Thanks a lot, I love her. Only 19000 km on it, and everything on her is stock paint is original and she's just a beautiful bike, thanks a lot for your input! Can't wait to fix it and get her running again

1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD only 2 cylinders running 25 Jan 2014 20:21 #620050

• 80kz1000ltd
  • User

4TheKZ1000 wrote: Hello, and welcome to the forum. Very nice stock bike you have. We would be glad to help you.

If the bike runs, check and see which pipe gets hot....you can spray water on them with a spray bottle. That way you can tell the non firing cylinders.

If you have a spark tester, you can check that way.

Is the battery 100% charged?

Your bike has two coils. The coils both have two plug wires coming out of them, hence 4 cylinders.

One coil will fire cylinders 1 and 4 and the other cylinders 2 and 3.

If the correct cylinders are dead, could be one of the coils. Example, if its cylinders 1 and 4....that coil is bad, the module on the ignition plate might be bad or its an wiring issue.

Also, that bike should be an electronic ignition......could have a bad pickup on the ignition. The ignition has two sides. One side for each of the two coils. If one of the pickups or modules are bad, it wont send the power to the coil.

Could be the igniter or the resister also, going to have to eliminate these items as the culprit.

It could be as simple as a corroded connection or loose wire.

Spencer

Ok I am now more thinking it is the coil, now if I want to replace that which is what I probably will be doing, on z1 enterprises, how do I know which coil to get? The coils have never been changed, so they are stock but there are different types of coils, just don't know which one to get?
Thanks

1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD only 2 cylinders running 25 Jan 2014 21:26 #620054

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
I recommend you hold off on replacing the coils or anything else until you get a Kawasaki Service Manual (see link in my other posting). The reason is that the manual gives very specific instructions on how to test the coils (and every other component) to see if they are operating withing the service limits. Rather than spending money and replacing parts that you hope are the problem, using the manual enables you to positively identify which parts (if any) are broken so you don't spend money replacing stuff that is actually working fine. It will help you fix the problem on the first try. If your bike is positively running on 2 cylinders, it could be a bad coil, but it could very well be a component in the electronic ignition system or it could even be carb related. It's even possible that none of the parts have a problem but that instead there simply is a loose or dirty connection or broken wire. Keep in mind, the connectors have been hooked up for more than 30 years and may have a little corrosion interfering with the current flow. Again, the manual will be a great help in diagnosing the problem. I would not even consider working on my bike without the manual, and I've owned my bike since it was new - April, 1977. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD only 2 cylinders running 26 Jan 2014 05:25 #620071

• crusierlover
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
So much good advice here.Question- you are 15 and work on airplanes? Anyhow, my 81 kz 1000 ltd would love to look exactly like yours.Please sell it to us or dont change it.
Proud owner of 1982 650csr again soon. keeping it this time

1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD only 2 cylinders running 26 Jan 2014 05:41 #620073

• sbc1320
  • User
  • Thank you received: 38
Nice looking bike. Mine was originally that color. I still have one of the sidecovers and tailpanel in the same colors as yours. Mine has less than 15,000 original miles.
1980 KZ1000 LTD-B4(MK II engine) - Progressive suspension, MTC pistons, Dynojet Stage III, all wear items replaced, WFO paint scheme(1978), etc..

Past bikes- 2 1976 Kz900's, 5 1975-76 Honda CB750's, Honda 500 -4, Honda 250, Honda 125, Honda 100, Suzuki RM 250, Honda XL350, Kawasaki KLR 650, etc..

1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD only 2 cylinders running 26 Jan 2014 05:50 #620075

• peter1958
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 198
when I got my 77 it only ran on two and all it took was tightening the grounds on the coil. It only had 3000 miles on it but sat for a long time.

Attachments:

• Page: