Battery, Starter or Starter Clutch???

More
13 Apr 2014 18:50 #628916 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Battery, Starter or Starter Clutch???
The starter clutch would be my guess too. Here's some info that might help. Ed

forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=5152.0
forums.kz650.info/index.php?action=dlatt...pic=586.0;attach=873

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2014 21:07 #629195 by Twilightoptics
Replied by Twilightoptics on topic Battery, Starter or Starter Clutch???
When the starter clutch goes out like this, and makes that rattle kind of sound, is it a bad idea to run the bike at all?

I ask because I got mine fired up cleanly for the first time tonight. As I brought the idle down to 1050, since it's all base adjustment it wanted to stall. As it would stall, I could hear that same rattly kind of sound from the case. Not sure if it's just not turning fast enough to keep the chain taught or if this is normal, or if it's starter clutch related.

Thanks,
-P

1977 KZ650-B1

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Feb 2015 21:27 #661660 by LuckyLucOnBass
Replied by LuckyLucOnBass on topic Battery, Starter or Starter Clutch???
So remember this?

Well I thought it was the starter clutch. I was pretty bummed out. When I was running low on money, I figured I'd sell my bike and just let someone else get her running again. I don't have much money tied into this bike. So I would've made my money back. The one guy who was interested never got back to me about it. So I kept the bike. Six months later, I just figured I'd buy a starter off of ebay. If that and a new battery didn't work, then it would definitely be the clutch. I knew my starter was junk. it shorted out somehow. So when my "new" starter came in from ebay, I went through it thinking I would have to change the brushes. I have a new oem set of brushes handy. The starter came from a bike with 30,000 miles. When I opened it up, it looked practically new, with the usual soot. I cleaned it up and waited for my battery to come in. I bought a Yuasa battery. When that came in, I got it charged up and just tried the starter to see if it would spin. And sure enough... it did this:

So great! Right? So now it was time to clean the carbs, which I've done many times before. Well I screwed that one up.
kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/597163-oo...-this-fixable#661655

So now that it was fixed and the new gaskets and rings were in, it was time to get the carbs on and finally see if it was the damn starter (and maybe battery) that kept me off two wheels for so long.

This happened earlier tonight.

I'm a happy guy now! Or happier, I mean.

I paid $24 for the starter, shipped.
I paid $38 for the battery, shipped. $10 for the acid.
And now I'm almost back. Just need to change the fork seals, and I'm good to go! Don't worry about the bubbling paint and dents on the tank. She'll never be a show bike. Just a daily driver in this Texas weather.

My original starter is on the left. Don't worry, I cleaned up the ebay starter.

Attachment starters.jpg not found

My extra brush set.

LH

bass player, bike rider, hockey fan.
1983 KZ550 M1
Attachments: