Battery, Starter or Starter Clutch???

More
14 Feb 2014 14:04 #622249 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Battery, Starter or Starter Clutch???
Is the part you need shown on the diagram below? Ed

Attachment 00007_2014-02-14.jpg not found

Attachment 00008_2014-02-14.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Feb 2014 18:00 #622277 by LuckyLucOnBass
Replied by LuckyLucOnBass on topic Battery, Starter or Starter Clutch???
Ed, there is no part number on the diagram. It is part of 21039. It is directly to the left of the starter armature. The starter rebuild kits have everything but that particular piece. Sorry, I don't have a computer to circle on the diagram.

bass player, bike rider, hockey fan.
1983 KZ550 M1

More
14 Feb 2014 18:41 #622282 by 650ed
That carbon brush assembly is still an "Active" part, so any dealer can order it. Ronayers.com lists it a $44.99. Ed

www.ronayers.com/Search.aspx?k=21039-1053

Attachment 00007_2014-02-14-2.jpg not found

Attachments:

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Feb 2014 16:28 #622707 by LuckyLucOnBass
I was just about to order that part. But I just saw a little oil coming out of my left fork boot. Does that mean a total fork rebuild now? So now I need to replace 1. the starter brush assembly, 2. the battery, 3. rebuild the forks, 4. buy new carb to box boots so I can finally install the air box. Oh, and the back of my speedometer is cracked and needs replacing.

Ahhh, the joy of owning a bike as old as yourself.

1983 KZ550 M1

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Feb 2014 04:11 #623254 by LuckyLucOnBass
Ed,
Do you have any experience ordering from ronayers? I just want to know if I can rely on them. Today is the day to order what I need.

1983 KZ550 M1

More
25 Feb 2014 04:50 #623258 by 650ed

LuckyLucOnBass wrote: Ed,
Do you have any experience ordering from ronayers? I just want to know if I can rely on them. Today is the day to order what I need.

Yes, I bought from them many times and was always satisfied. Same is true of Partzilla. One word of caution with both vendors - both of their web sites show prices for Kawasaki parts that are no longer available. If you order those parts you will get a refund. So before ordering, make sure the part is still listed as "Active" on Kawasaki.com. Other than that, they both are fine. Ed

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Mar 2014 11:25 #623759 by LuckyLucOnBass
That is the plastic cup that holds the positive brushes in place. It was melted, which tells me there was a bad short going on. I don't know what would cause it. But I'm hoping the replacement will fix my starter issue at least. Perfect riding weather here in Texas. 70-some degrees outside.

Attachment PhotoGrid_1393701557306.jpg not found

1983 KZ550 M1
Attachments:

More
14 Mar 2014 01:20 #625116 by lightitup
Replied by lightitup on topic Battery, Starter or Starter Clutch???
im having the same issues with my bike not starting i havent torn into anything yet but i was wondering were u are at with it. and if the fix worked

81 kz 550 ltd

More
14 Mar 2014 13:21 - 14 Mar 2014 13:21 #625166 by Jrbrownie00
Replied by Jrbrownie00 on topic Battery, Starter or Starter Clutch???
There's an easy way to check and see if it's the starter clutch, we'll at least it worked for me. Put your bike in first gear and shift it forward or backward which moves the starter assembly. Then try starting the bike. A lot of times one or 2 of the springs lose tension or break but in certain positions it will still start. It could explain why the bike started at the beginning of the ride but not after you gased up. :cheer:

82' kz750 ltd.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2014 13:21 by Jrbrownie00.

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Apr 2014 09:06 #627523 by LuckyLucOnBass

Jrbrownie00 wrote: There's an easy way to check and see if it's the starter clutch, we'll at least it worked for me. Put your bike in first gear and shift it forward or backward which moves the starter assembly. Then try starting the bike. A lot of times one or 2 of the springs lose tension or break but in certain positions it will still start. It could explain why the bike started at the beginning of the ride but not after you gased up. :cheer:

So if I rock the bike in first gear, and it does start, then it is a bad clutch? Or a good clutch?

lightitup wrote: im having the same issues with my bike not starting i havent torn into anything yet but i was wondering were u are at with it. and if the fix worked

I bought a new starter rebuild kit. New brushes, the plastic... EVERYTHING. I charged up my battery. Connected everything and hit the start... NOTHING! Just clicks from the solenoid. Oh, and by the way, I found the complete kit, brand new for $25. More than half price. And a genuine Kawaski part.

When that didn't work, I pulled the starter and tried jumping directly to my truck battery. Nothing, again. Why?! Can the armature be bad? My bike has 14,400 miles. Is there any tests I should run on the starter to see if it is the starter itself? I don't want to buy a new starter. And where would I even find one?

Ok... I did some reading on the internet here. I did clean the armature and commutator when I rebuilt my starter. But I read that maybe I need to clean the mica gaps between the commutator segments. I'll do that in a bit. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Even after I get the starter working, I need to see if my starter clutch needs replacing. I really don't know if I want to get that deep with it. I love riding this bike. But times are a little hard right now on this side.

1983 KZ550 M1

More
02 Apr 2014 19:24 #627601 by Jrbrownie00
Replied by Jrbrownie00 on topic Battery, Starter or Starter Clutch???
It could still be a bad clutch but when mine went bad I could occasionally start it in certain positions

82' kz750 ltd.

More
13 Apr 2014 17:26 - 13 Apr 2014 17:27 #628906 by Twilightoptics
Replied by Twilightoptics on topic Battery, Starter or Starter Clutch???
This is like the end all be all of starter issues! I love it.

I pulled my starter apart, the gears were nasty and dry. Cleaned and lubed, the starter spins very nice on the bench. and with the spark plugs out. Back on the bike, same grindy sound and minimal crank movement. Glad I found this post. Looks like it's the starter clutch. Any pro's want to confirm this?

Video shows the crank bolt for reference to see what the motor is actually doing compared to the sound.

1977 KZ650-B1
Last edit: 13 Apr 2014 17:27 by Twilightoptics.