Gas coming out of one of my pods. Help!

More
25 Oct 2013 14:02 #611139 by Mousley
Hello everyone, I woke up today planning on going on a beautiful fall ride and I noticed one of my pods dripping liquid. I then realized I left the bike on prime for the past 3 days while it was sitting :sick: . I'm going to try and crank (not start!!) the bike just so I can smell the oil. if there is gas in it I am going to change the oil. But other then that I really do not know what else I should do. Please if anyone could give me some info on what I should do/avoid doing, that would be fantastic.

Note...I have not done anything yet other then put the bike back on The "on" position for the fuel.
I will be waiting on responses from you guys before doing anything else. THANKS

1982 KZ 650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2013 14:08 #611144 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Gas coming out of one of my pods. Help!
What carbs are on your bike, and what model bike do you have? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
25 Oct 2013 14:23 #611149 by Mousley
Replied by Mousley on topic Gas coming out of one of my pods. Help!
1982 kz650 I know their mikuni

1982 KZ 650

More
25 Oct 2013 20:17 #611171 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Gas coming out of one of my pods. Help!
That kind of flooding means the floats may need adjusting or the needles/seats in the carbs need cleaning. They all do the flood thing once in a while if some piece of dirt gets on the needle. My 750 did it last week and I keep them pretty clean. carb maintenance is a must on these old bikes because the gas is gravity feed and the dirt runs downhill too.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
25 Oct 2013 20:20 #611172 by Mousley
can you point me in the direction for a step by step process, I know there's gotta be something on here like that.

1982 KZ 650

More
25 Oct 2013 20:55 - 25 Oct 2013 20:55 #611177 by bountyhunter
We need a sticky here to detail how to tune up the fuel system. I couldn't count how many posts I have seen about carb flooding.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 25 Oct 2013 20:55 by bountyhunter.

More
25 Oct 2013 22:13 #611183 by Mousley
I agree. All the knowledge I have gathered so far basically just say's to do an oil change. So that's what I am going to do tomorrow morning. Hopefully all goes well and the only thing wrong was me leaving the peacock on prime for three days, without running the beast. I got to say though I love owning this kz650. I love the ride, power, handling, and the fact that I am learning a lot about motorcycle's. Yes I have had to fix things but it is only because this bike was not maintained the way it should have been. I guess I kind of went a little off topic but what can I say, every time I think about this bike I dream of the possibilities. Anyways if anyone has any tips on anything else I should do or check with some guide on how-to check those things I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

1982 KZ 650

More
26 Oct 2013 02:53 - 26 Oct 2013 03:02 #611191 by uncle nick
Replied by uncle nick on topic Gas coming out of one of my pods. Help!
Hi, the floats were sticking on my KZ650 when I first bought it. Gently tapping the carbs with the wooden handle of my trusty hammer was a temp fix! :ohmy:

I found some great info on here but the search function doesn't seem to work at the moment, or at least not for me.

There's also some great articles on gobookee.org if you do a search for Mikuni.
This article HERE I found pretty useful.

Good luck!

1981 KZ650 CSR
Last edit: 26 Oct 2013 03:02 by uncle nick.

More
26 Oct 2013 04:40 #611192 by Stazi
Replied by Stazi on topic Gas coming out of one of my pods. Help!
Before you try starting it, pull out all the plugs and crank it like that so if fuel got into the cylinders it won't cause a hydro lock.

82 KZ1000-K2 LTD

More
26 Oct 2013 08:31 #611217 by Mousley
alright so I got my hammer,oil,pan,tools. I will let you all know how it turned out in a few hours. I am glad I checked the board one more time before working on her. Hydro lock does not sound pretty.

1982 KZ 650

More
28 Oct 2013 21:36 #611484 by Mousley
Alright everyone seems I need your help yet again :( I did the oil change took my pod off and cleaned them made sure I took the plugs out and turned it a couple times then I let it sit for a day. Today I started it and all seemed well, it back fired a couple times which has never happened with this bike so I just chalked it up to the gas dripping into all the wrong places. Then I noticed oil/gas(???) leaking from right behind the clutch pedal (bottom left back area of engine) Now I am not sure if this is just a build-up of gas/oil from me leaving it on prime. I did loose a lot of gas, id say a quarter tank. The bike does run but the oil is leaking onto the left side exhaust and making it smoke. I really am starting to worry something else is wrong but then again everything was A-Okay with the bike till I left it on prime. Do you guys think this is just a build up and I should let it run? Does something else seem not right from what I have stated? Any ideas on what I should do are greatly appreciated. I eagerly await your responses.

1982 KZ 650

More
28 Oct 2013 22:18 #611485 by bountyhunter

Mousley wrote: Alright everyone seems I need your help yet again :( I did the oil change took my pod off and cleaned them made sure I took the plugs out and turned it a couple times then I let it sit for a day. Today I started it and all seemed well, it back fired a couple times which has never happened with this bike so I just chalked it up to the gas dripping into all the wrong places. Then I noticed oil/gas(???) leaking from right behind the clutch pedal (bottom left back area of engine) Now I am not sure if this is just a build-up of gas/oil from me leaving it on prime. I did loose a lot of gas, id say a quarter tank. The bike does run but the oil is leaking onto the left side exhaust and making it smoke. I really am starting to worry something else is wrong but then again everything was A-Okay with the bike till I left it on prime. Do you guys think this is just a build up and I should let it run? Does something else seem not right from what I have stated? Any ideas on what I should do are greatly appreciated. I eagerly await your responses.

It sounds like a carb is flooding. That will puddle gas under the bike and make it run rough. My twin did it just last week. It's a problem with the float/s/needle valves either not sealing or needing adjustment.

1979 KZ-750 Twin