Gas coming out of one of my pods. Help!

More
29 Oct 2013 20:30 #611575 by Mousley
Replied by Mousley on topic Gas coming out of one of my pods. Help!
:) So today I started up the bike and everything sounded normal and the bike ran great. I guess all the fluid's that were coming out after the oil change were just build up left behind from me leaving it on prime for a couple days. The funny thing is I changed my oil to The T6 5w40 because I read a lot of good things about it and my clutch feels a lot smoother....could oil really do that? I mean I just had the oil changed less then 100 miles ago before this happened and I used Suzuki motorcycle oil from my local motorcycle store. Anyways I still need to fix my float (needle's)???, but I am still looking for a good how too on that (preferably with pictures) I keep reading about a drain plug on the bowls wherever that is ?? I really wanna know my carbs and where everything is since I plan on doing all the work myself. Thanks for all the responses as usual guys.

1982 KZ 650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2013 21:16 - 29 Oct 2013 21:18 #611577 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Gas coming out of one of my pods. Help!
The drain screws are the screws towards the bottoms of the float bows. Turn them out and the gas inside the bowls will drain. Had the same problem when I accidentally put the lock on the gas nozzle at the pump and overfilled my gas tank and had gas spill all over my bike. Turned it on and gas came pouring out under the bike. Spent the next day searching for a leak that didn't exist :silly:

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"
Last edit: 29 Oct 2013 21:18 by nickleo373.

More
30 Oct 2013 08:45 #611597 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Gas coming out of one of my pods. Help!
If they still leak after emptying the fuel bowls, it is pretty easy to clean the needle and seat.
Remove the carb bank, turn the carbs upside down, remove the bowls, remove the shaft holding the floats on,, remove the needle, and clean the needle and the seat using carb cleaner. Blow dry with air.
Then put everything together again and test while still off the bike.
To test, place the carb bank in a container, use a 2x4 or similar to keep them perpendicular to the ground, and connect a fuel source. Let them set for at least 15 minutes (I normally let them set for an hour just because). If they do not leak, re-install on bike. If one or more leaks, remove the bowl on the leaking carb(s) and clean again. Retest until none leak, then re-install.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mousley

More
30 Oct 2013 09:37 #611602 by Mousley
Nickleo, I was just as confused :silly: Koolaid kid, Thanks for the detailed response I will definitely be using that info.

1982 KZ 650

More
30 Oct 2013 10:20 #611606 by koolaid_kid

Mousley wrote: Nickleo, I was just as confused :silly: Koolaid kid, Thanks for the detailed response I will definitely be using that info.

You are quite welcome. Be careful when removing the shafts that hold the floats on; they are fragile and break easily. While you have the bowls removed and the floats re-installed, check the float level on each carb. They may be set correctly, but you will be right there so it is a perfect time to verify the correct setting.

1983 GPz 750

More
30 Oct 2013 11:30 #611611 by Mousley
And what is the right setting?

1982 KZ 650

More
30 Oct 2013 13:05 #611617 by koolaid_kid

Mousley wrote: And what is the right setting?

That varies from model to model. It should be listed in your factory service manual. 650Ed or Patton should know also.

1983 GPz 750

More
30 Oct 2013 14:17 #611626 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Gas coming out of one of my pods. Help!

Mousley wrote: And what is the right setting?

You'll need to check your Kawasaki Service Manual to see if the CV carb fuel level on your bike should be adjusted to the same level as the VM type carbs shown in the image below. Ed

Attachment ClearTubeTest.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mousley

More
30 Oct 2013 21:12 #611668 by Mousley
awesome 650ed, That's just what I needed. I will look up my service manual on the internet because I do not own a hard copy. I am guessing from the picture that the carbs do not have individual drain screws but only one drain screw right in the middle....I was wondering what exactly that was. Like I said before I am a novice:D

1982 KZ 650

More
31 Oct 2013 07:29 #611693 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Gas coming out of one of my pods. Help!

Mousley wrote: awesome 650ed, That's just what I needed. I will look up my service manual on the internet because I do not own a hard copy. I am guessing from the picture that the carbs do not have individual drain screws but only one drain screw right in the middle....I was wondering what exactly that was. Like I said before I am a novice:D

Actually each carb does have its own individual drain screw. If yours are the stock 1982 CV type carbs it should look like the part marked 92066A in the first diagram below. If yours has the VM type carbs it will be the big screw (usually brass) near the bottom of the carb bowl as shown circled in red in the second image below. Ed

Attachment 00001_2013-10-31.jpg not found

Attachment 00002_2013-10-31.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
01 Nov 2013 19:34 #611865 by Mousley
From the looks of it, I have the CV carbs. I thought that might have been the drain screw but i am glad to know for sure now. Thanks.

1982 KZ 650