Chain Maintenance

More
23 Dec 2013 14:31 #616249 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Chain Maintenance

koolaid_kid wrote: Water Displacement 40, what a joke. I used it on a 1966 Oldsmobile distributor for exactly what it was intended, and it worked. Got the engine running. Anything else, forget it.
A well maintained o-ring or x-ring chain will last many miles. I put 20k miles on my GS1100E chain with 2 adjustments, and it was still going strong when I sold it. The key is proper maintenance. Clean it, lube it, adjust it, and align it when you adjust it. Alignment is critical, as important as everything else.

Wheel Alignment?
Also, how often do you clean and lubricate the chain?
Martin mentioned 200-300 miles.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 A3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2013 15:27 - 23 Dec 2013 15:28 #616254 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Chain Maintenance
If you lube the chain about every 300 miles it will last a very long time. I like Maxima Chain Wax (see pic), but I’m sure there are other folks who each have their own favorite. PJ1 chain lube sucks. Put the bike on the center stand and spray the lube on a section of the chain. Wipe off the excess with paper towels. Rotate the tire and do the next section; etc. As you wipe off the excess lube the chain will become clean. As long as you do this on a regular basis (say 300 miles or so) there is no need to go through any other work to try to clean the chain as this method will keep the chain clean.

When installing or checking / adjusting the chain be SURE to leave the correct amount of slack in it. Consult the manual for the spec. On my KZ650 it’s about 1” of up and down movement with the bike on the center stand. A chain that is too tight will die a very early death. This is because due to the relationship between the center of the front sprocket and the swing arm pivot bolt the chain gets tighter as the rear axle moves upward. So if the chain is adjusted with insufficient slack when the bike is at rest, the chain will be stretched every time the bike is ridden, especially as the bike goes over even small bumps in the road. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Dec 2013 15:28 by 650ed.

More
23 Dec 2013 15:56 #616260 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Chain Maintenance
This is the chain I run and after about 200 pass's at the drag strip and a few thousand
street mile's never have to adjust it.
I clean and lube it with chain wax before each track trip.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
23 Dec 2013 16:07 #616261 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Chain Maintenance
I know you guys are talking 530 chains but ive had really good luck with my 630 D.I.D. o-ring race chain. If i remember correctly its a 12,000 pound chain. Ive ran it for a couple years with little to no stretch.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
23 Dec 2013 17:04 #616267 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Chain Maintenance

650ed wrote: If you lube the chain about every 300 miles it will last a very long time. I like Maxima Chain Wax (see pic), but I’m sure there are other folks who each have their own favorite. PJ1 chain lube sucks. Put the bike on the center stand and spray the lube on a section of the chain. Wipe off the excess with paper towels. Rotate the tire and do the next section; etc. As you wipe off the excess lube the chain will become clean. As long as you do this on a regular basis (say 300 miles or so) there is no need to go through any other work to try to clean the chain as this method will keep the chain clean.

When installing or checking / adjusting the chain be SURE to leave the correct amount of slack in it. Consult the manual for the spec. On my KZ650 it’s about 1” of up and down movement with the bike on the center stand. A chain that is too tight will die a very early death. This is because due to the relationship between the center of the front sprocket and the swing arm pivot bolt the chain gets tighter as the rear axle moves upward. So if the chain is adjusted with insufficient slack when the bike is at rest, the chain will be stretched every time the bike is ridden, especially as the bike goes over even small bumps in the road. Ed

This is the stuff I bought already, so I'm going to go ahead and use this.

[IMG

I was under the impression that the chain would get filthy dirty like it is on mine now, but from what I'm reading from you all it will keep a nice shine to it if I take care of it every 300 miles or so.

I'm going to do what martin mentioned and get a feel for the chain I have now. After a while I'll go buy a new set and get to work.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 A3

More
23 Dec 2013 17:23 #616271 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Chain Maintenance

650ed wrote: When installing or checking / adjusting the chain be SURE to leave the correct amount of slack in it. Consult the manual for the spec. On my KZ650 it’s about 1” of up and down movement with the bike on the center stand.

If you put on different shock absorbers, this may change.... guess how I learned that the hard way. The shock may have a bit more free extension, which means you set that 1" slack but when you are sitting on it the chain is too tight. I like to set my slack with me sitting on it as when riding (not on the center stand) to make sure it's not too tight, and check it in at least four or five locations by rolling forward a bit. Nothing kills a chain faster than running it tight.. If it's a shade loose, probably won't hurt but you might hear the chain clack into the swing arm when you release the throttle. That's how I know mine is too loose.

1979 KZ-750 Twin