1260 Big Block upgrade for spanking a Harley

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
23 Jun 2013 21:30 #593664 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic 1260 Big Block upgrade for spanking a Harley
I can't get behind burning a motorcycle, not even a Hardly Ableson.
That said... unless he's sunk A LOT of money into his bike, you should have no problem outrunning him.

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2013 21:35 #593666 by 650ed

baldy110 wrote: .......And when I really want to make the harley rider look like they are on scooters I use this.

You should be ashamed of yourself! That's like clubbing a baby seal! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
23 Jun 2013 21:37 #593667 by 650mod

650ed wrote:

peter1958 wrote: I Think your bike would give him a rude awakening just stock! www.bikez.com/motorcycles/harley-davidso...night_train_2000.php

I looked at the Night Train specs - 63 hp / 672 pounds! Maybe it should be named the choo choo train! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ed

I fully agree with Ed and Peter- your bike should hand it to him no issue right now. The Harley's have pop off the low end, but lose it quick. They're torquey, but have almost nothing up high.

I'd run him as is, and make him see what our old girls are capable of doing ;)

Devin

78 kz 650 custom
Wiseco 720cc big bore
Dynajet stage 3 carb kit with pods
2002 Kawasaki Z750 exhaust
2001 Buell lightning front end
1999 Ninja 600 swingarm with 1999 Ninja 900 rear rim
converted to monoshock rear
Too many goodies to list fully

More
23 Jun 2013 21:47 #593668 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic 1260 Big Block upgrade for spanking a Harley
These Harley guys seem to have a really distorted concept of fast. Many years ago there was a guy with a grinding shop across from the old APE building. He had a chopper with a built shovlehead. It was a barebones bike. Really nice and super light.

One day we were talking and I told him his bike was nice, but a stone stock Suzuki would just slay it in a street race. He thought I was full of it, and was eager to try. I called a customer that had a stock GS1100 ( this was in the early 80s). It had a pipe and degreed stock cams.

We went out and did the deed. It wasn't even a race. The Zuk put semi truck lengths on this Harley. Harley guy couldn't believe it. Especially when I told him he could go down to the local Suzuki dealer and buy one just like it for half what he had in the chopper.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
23 Jun 2013 22:38 #593673 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 1260 Big Block upgrade for spanking a Harley
Besides blowing him into the weeds in the straights, you can out corner him like no tomorrow. He would crash that bike trying to go around a curve, that your bike can easily take at 60+. He would be doing maybe 45 or so. Now if the contest is who is the Star in a South Park episode, well he might win. www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=south%20...mBKAOCGXH4FmfoAuOZOA

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
23 Jun 2013 23:34 #593681 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic 1260 Big Block upgrade for spanking a Harley

APE Jay wrote: The over heating issue with the big blocks is because there are no air passages between the cylinders. If you have to sit in traffic for an extended period of time, this could be a problem.

You can do a 1260 in a stock KZ1000 block and keep the air passages. Makes a great sleeper mod, but requires some head work to take full advantage.

I am running my 1327 in a stock block which i had the air passages filled. I am running around 9 to 1 compression. So far havent had any overheating problems. But if i sat in traffic for long periods of time i could see it overheating. The only problems i have had is the bad oil leak at the base gasket :pinch:. The starter not wanting to crank the motor over very easily. I got to upgrade to a honda starter. Its tearing my starter clutch up. Both my master cyclinders now leak. But the bike is one mean son a bitch. Burn outs on demand wheelies on demand. Its got so much pull at any speed, its crazy. So far iam really happy with my build.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
24 Jun 2013 07:59 - 24 Jun 2013 08:16 #593704 by crh
I'm no HD fanatic by any stretch of the imagination but I'll tell you one thing for certain. Those things respond quite well to the same performance tweaks that your KZ responds to. They'll pretty easily yield 30 HP over the stock motor. If his bike has the heads done, cams and a piston kit, you might get your ass handed to you with a tired KZ900/1000.

I've seen one go from 55HP on a Harley Shop Dyno to an honest 100 with some tweaking. I'm must stating facts so you don't underestimate and get your ass handed to you. If it's a standing start drag race, has the bike tweaked and he's sharp rider........'nough said :) Have a look at Drag Strip Tips thread and see what zukdave is doing to guys with his little 750 if you don't believe me.... Bottom line.....don't bring a knife to a gun fight :lol:
Last edit: 24 Jun 2013 08:16 by crh.

More
24 Jun 2013 12:37 #593716 by Roadflyer
Replied by Roadflyer on topic 1260 Big Block upgrade for spanking a Harley
"A guy in town rides a stock 2000 Night Train and when I seen him at the store, he told me to burn my bike and buy a real one."

I have the 79 KZ1000st and a 2005 Yamaha Roadstar 1700.
When I hear shit talk like that from the Harley Guy's I ask them if, when they bought their Harley
did the price include 2 weeks free instruction on how to be a real f**cking Dick Head.

1979 kz1000 shaftie rebuild project
1045 wiseco 10.25-1 pistons
Kenny Harmon 380 lift cams

More
24 Jun 2013 14:13 #593727 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic 1260 Big Block upgrade for spanking a Harley
Usually the guys on harley's who talk all the shit are riding stock bikes. I can tell if a harley's been modded and if so I break out the ELR clone, if not I just use the KZ650.
I posted this story before here but it does show the mentality of most harley riders.

I was in a parking lot with my 82 ELR clone and was approached by a group of harley riders. One of them, around my age was commenting on my bike. We were talking about bikes in general and a really young kid, early 20's had been listening. The older guy asked me if my bike was fast. I said very fast, the young kid gave me a hard stare and said, "It's not harley fast." I asked the kid what he rode and he proudly stated a 1200 sporster. I asked the kid if he has ridden any other type of bike. He again proudly stated, "I only ride harley's." I then challenged him to a race and he quickly accepted. I told him I only race for titles, he still agreed to race me the older guy who I had been talking to stepped in and said, "No he won't."
Now the older guy knew something about bikes the younger kid knew nothing. All he had to do was look at my Kawasaki, the Kerker pipe, Mikuni RS36 carbs and the other numerous mods that are plainly visible and know it is fast. So I believe the younger generation of harley riders fall for the salesman's pitch of, "the harley davison is the fastes production V twin out there" and they believe that garbage.
Now I do believe there are modded harley's out there and I have taken on a few but even still they don't come close to beating my 31 year old Kawasaki.

More
24 Jun 2013 16:29 #593738 by Roadflyer
Replied by Roadflyer on topic 1260 Big Block upgrade for spanking a Harley
A buddy has a 96 Heritage Softail 1340, it has ported heads, 10.25-1 pistons, EV-27 cam and Mikuni HSR42. Compared to what is was like stock, that thing flies. He slays my Roadstar 1700 except for loaded down 2 up riding up steep grades at highway speeds (then I can out pull him).
The KZ 1000 has Wiseco 1045cc and drop in cams. At 55 mph in top gear, he will walk away from me easy, I turn the tables on him at about 75 mph. Of course, in a drag or road race he would not stand a chance.

1979 kz1000 shaftie rebuild project
1045 wiseco 10.25-1 pistons
Kenny Harmon 380 lift cams

More
24 Jun 2013 17:38 - 24 Jun 2013 17:47 #593746 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic 1260 Big Block upgrade for spanking a Harley
it is funny that baldy mentioned "harley fast" :lol: .

because around here we say there is "harley fast"and then the whole other realm of fast bikes that smoke harleys.

if anybody has any questions have them read the nhra class breakdown.

i copied it here.

Pro Stock Motorcycle:
These highly modified vehicles, which can run under seven seconds at more than 195 mph, feature a purpose-built tube chassis and a lightweight, aerodynamically enhanced replica of original bodywork. The class features a wide variety of makes, models, and engines, including V-Twin entries from Harley-Davidson and Buell and inline four-cylinder-equipped Suzuki and Kawasaki models. To ensure a level playing field, pushrod-equipped V-Twin engines are limited to 160 cubic inches, and the high-winding four-cylinder engines cannot be larger than 101 cubic inches. Fuel injection is permitted, and spec gasoline is the only fuel allowed.

this is the sentence that tells the tale:
To ensure a level playing field, pushrod-equipped V-Twin engines are limited to 160 cubic inches, and the high-winding four-cylinder engines cannot be larger than 101 cubic inches.

which should tell you that the pushrod v-twin is at a dis-advantage when compared to inline fours.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Last edit: 24 Jun 2013 17:47 by 531blackbanshee.

More
24 Jun 2013 19:25 #593755 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic 1260 Big Block upgrade for spanking a Harley
Lots of guys I know used to own z1900,s and kz1000.s and now own harleys. Christ they ride bikes and thats all I care about. An old friend of mine had a harley that would hand you your ass back in the day. WE RIDE WE HAVE FUN. i DONT CARE IF YOU RIDE A MOPED. hAVE FUN. But busting on harleys is childish. you pussies
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD