installing fresh pistons and rings

More
04 Apr 2013 10:18 #580520 by gdprather
Replied by gdprather on topic installing fresh pistons and rings
so so funny lmao.

1985 Kawasaki Vucan vn700A1
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100D2 Spectre

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
04 Apr 2013 10:18 #580521 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic installing fresh pistons and rings
The 1940s thing was a joke,for those that aren't smart enough or too serious to get it I don't know what to tell ya! :sick: :woohoo:
The guy I learned the dry piston trick from way back when has been building flat head fords since the 40s though,and he still pours his own babbit bearings in engine blocks.
Hes got to be pushing 90 and was stil driving his old rat rod 31 ford pick up with a hot rodded flat head when I saw him last summer. :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2013 10:21 #580523 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic installing fresh pistons and rings
you dont grab your 1 inch killer with a dry hand do you Wireman?

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
04 Apr 2013 10:41 - 04 Apr 2013 10:56 #580529 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic installing fresh pistons and rings

4TheKZ1000 wrote: you dont grab your 1 inch killer with a dry hand do you Wireman?

I tried using assembly lube on it,but it was too damn messy! :sick: :woohoo:
Its only got an inch of stroke,but its got a 4 1/8" bore! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2013 10:56 by wireman.

More
04 Apr 2013 15:16 #580554 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic installing fresh pistons and rings

dbc92s10 wrote: fresh 74mm bore, new mtc pistons and rings question is; should i oil the pistons and rings, or install them dry. i would think dry would cause excessive wear :dry:

I oiled everything during assembly. I didn't have any fancy assembly lube so I used a 50-50 mix of STP and Valvoline motor oil to coat things.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2013 15:25 - 04 Apr 2013 15:26 #580557 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic installing fresh pistons and rings
I thought seating rings or breaking-in was first 500 miles riding bike not dry cylinders and rings chewing on eachother.....just my thought.... :whistle:
Last edit: 04 Apr 2013 15:26 by 4TheKZ1000.

More
04 Apr 2013 16:01 #580560 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic installing fresh pistons and rings
MTC recommend DRY assembly (no oil on the bores) to aid quick bedding in and a resultant higher compression.
Also use a straight mineral oil for the first runs.
Just lube the skirts below the rings as they enter the bores.
It is now a known fact that the main bedding in period is in the first 20 miles.
The 500 mile + period was invented by mass manufacturers to cover their backs against inconsistant tolerances in other areas of a new engine,crank shells etc.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
04 Apr 2013 17:42 - 04 Apr 2013 17:44 #580568 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic installing fresh pistons and rings
Thanks for the reply zed. I know that i was told i could assemble them like that ( i didnt tho). The guy that told me that builds motors and knows his motors very very well. And is very well known for his quality work (anyone following my build will know who iam talking about)

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now
Last edit: 04 Apr 2013 17:44 by Powerstroke_fan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
04 Apr 2013 18:12 #580571 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic installing fresh pistons and rings
udo gietl (who knows here who is he WITHOUT googling? ;) ) was very much for dry assembly. and his bikes won a few races :)

and definitely dont baby it while breaking it in, actually start loading the motor right away from the first start, avoid running it standing still, it will do nothing for good ring seating.

best if you can run it in on a dyno where you can do controlled pulls.

More
04 Apr 2013 18:28 #580572 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic installing fresh pistons and rings
Brother-in-law was always told by experienced engine builder after fresh build to start motor and put a load on it. Rings seat in first few miles. So he ran it hard like he planned on running bike...and he never had any problems. I have always put a light coating on piston assembly and cylinders for assembling purposes. Started motor up and run it through rpm range carefully. Watched engine smoke to see if it cleared up quickly...Never had any problems doing it this way except when an oil ring got over-lapped. Smoke never did clear up from that... :whistle: Was on start of trip and had to turn back and remove cylinder and found the ring problem. Re-assembled motor and headed back out the next day...been running great for last 20+ yrs and still no smoke... But have also been told to put it together dry, start bike up and abuse it...rings seat within first couple miles. If they aren't seated by then they won't...seems to work both ways to me...

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
04 Apr 2013 18:42 - 04 Apr 2013 18:45 #580577 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic installing fresh pistons and rings

racer54 wrote: Brother-in-law was always told by experienced engine builder after fresh build to start motor and put a load on it. Rings seat in first few miles. So he ran it hard like he planned on running bike...and he never had any problems. I have always put a light coating on piston assembly and cylinders for assembling purposes. Started motor up and run it through rpm range carefully. Watched engine smoke to see if it cleared up quickly...Never had any problems doing it this way except when an oil ring got over-lapped. Smoke never did clear up from that... :whistle: Was on start of trip and had to turn back and remove cylinder and found the ring problem. Re-assembled motor and headed back out the next day...been running great for last 20+ yrs and still no smoke... But have also been told to put it together dry, start bike up and abuse it...rings seat within first couple miles. If they aren't seated by then they won't...seems to work both ways to me...

Yepper..... and it's because when do things you use......come on now...holler it right out.... COMMON SENSE :woohoo:

Larry C.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2013 18:45 by LarryC.

More
05 Apr 2013 18:29 #580752 by dbc92s10
Replied by dbc92s10 on topic installing fresh pistons and rings
called mtc today and was told to install pistons completely dry which would make rings seal instantly upon start up

81 ltd1000
1135 mtc 10.5/1
cavanaugh racing head
38.6/32 p&p
APE k410 cams
APE hardware and tensioner
84 gpz1100 trans
kerker w comp baffle
rs36 carbs
fast by gast race crank