What does this mean!?!?

More
01 Apr 2013 11:13 #579925 by treitz
Replied by treitz on topic What does this mean!?!?

baldy110 wrote: You are putting in new plugs every time you read them right?

Yes, the plugs were brand new. I rand it around the block, and this is what they looked like:

Patton... My air cleaner is almost brand new. I adjusted the float height, but am having a hard time adjusting it to stock because I don't have the adapter for a clear hose test. I measure the float and think it is to spec.

I am running a PWK35 flat slide single carb. What is not making sense to me is that other guys are running this exact same carb on the same bike on the KZ Twin Forum, but they are running larger jets than me and aren't rich. So maybe it is my float level?

1979 KZ400 - 2-1 Manifold - Mikuni VM34

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2013 12:25 - 01 Apr 2013 13:28 #579937 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic What does this mean!?!?

treitz wrote: ...I adjusted the float height, but am having a hard time adjusting it to stock because I don't have the adapter for a clear hose test. I measure the float and think it is to spec.....

Setting float height to spec often fails to produce the correct fuel level.
Fuel level is critical.
Whatever float height results in correct fuel level is the correct float height, regardless of what the dry upside-down on the workbench float height measurement happens to be.

The clear tube test may be performed without the special tool.

Use a size tube that fits snugly or self-threads into a side-located drain hole.

For carb having a large bottom drain hole, use a rubber grommet or short section of hose that fits snugly into the hole, and add a length of clear tube that fits snugly inside the grommet or larger hose section.
(This works for example on Mikuni smoothbore carb.)

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Apr 2013 13:28 by Patton.

More
01 Apr 2013 13:16 #579944 by treitz
I have the large bottom drain hole. So I'll have to find some sort of grommet or hose that will fit in the hole I guess.

More
01 Apr 2013 13:32 #579949 by Patton

treitz wrote: I have the large bottom drain hole. So I'll have to find some sort of grommet or hose that will fit in the hole I guess.

Short section of oil hose will usually suffice.

Minimal fuel seepage won't adversely affect the clear tube test.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• kawasaki mike
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
01 Apr 2013 14:07 #579961 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic What does this mean!?!?
Patton, unrelated to this post of yours can I pick your brain? I am running an exhaust valve clearance of 7 thousanths and intake at 4 thousands across the board on a 77 kz 1000.Engine is stock except for a 1015 set of JE pistons at 10 1/2 to one comp. Will I be ok if I don't ever red line the motor. I usually just cruise and very seldom hammer it hard.

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.

More
01 Apr 2013 16:24 #579977 by Patton

kawasaki mike wrote: Patton, unrelated to this post of yours can I pick your brain? I am running an exhaust valve clearance of 7 thousanths and intake at 4 thousands across the board on a 77 kz 1000.Engine is stock except for a 1015 set of JE pistons at 10 1/2 to one comp. Will I be ok if I don't ever red line the motor. I usually just cruise and very seldom hammer it hard.

see www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/579976-va...factory-specs#579976

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
02 Apr 2013 11:04 #580164 by treitz
Thanks for the diagrams Patton. I found a rubber grommet in my garage that worked perfectly. My initial measurement showed 0 or "level." So I adjusted it to drop it to 3mm.

I didn't have time to do a running test, but I should have time tonight. Considering how much I leaned out my jets trying to compensate for it, I will probably be running pretty lean now and have to jet up.

Again, thanks for the help.

More
02 Apr 2013 18:13 #580249 by treitz
UPDATE: Took it for a spin around the block on my lunch break. Plugs are still black.

I think I will retest my float level tonight, and then move on to jetting. I have spend a lot of time jetting my pilot down, but haven't messed with my main much at all. Maybe I'll drop my main down and see what happens.

More
02 Apr 2013 19:50 #580269 by steell
Replied by steell on topic What does this mean!?!?

treitz wrote: I am running a PWK35 flat slide single carb.

So, you have a one into two intake with a single PWK35 carb. Where did the 3mm float level setting come from? The stock KZ 400 (I believe you have one) fuel level settings have no relevance, and the specs for the original application are not likely to apply.

Ignore any specs anyone gives you, unless it's someone running that particular combo.

To solve your problem you're going to have to experiment until you find settings that work. Try dropping the fuel level down 1mm or so at a time, you'll know when you've gone to far.

KD9JUR

More
02 Apr 2013 20:01 #580271 by treitz

steell wrote:

treitz wrote: I am running a PWK35 flat slide single carb.

So, you have a one into two intake with a single PWK35 carb. Where did the 3mm float level setting come from? The stock KZ 400 (I believe you have one) fuel level settings have no relevance, and the specs for the original application are not likely to apply.

Ignore any specs anyone gives you, unless it's someone running that particular combo.

To solve your problem you're going to have to experiment until you find settings that work. Try dropping the fuel level down 1mm or so at a time, you'll know when you've gone to far.

Most guys running this same single carb set it to 3mm. I could try going down to 2.5mm as some of them have.

More
02 Apr 2013 21:22 #580280 by Patton

treitz wrote: ...am running a PWK35 flat slide single carb. What is not making sense to me is that other guys are running this exact same carb on the same bike on the KZ Twin Forum, but they are running larger jets than me and aren't rich....

Is there any possibility that the existing pilot jet might have been "drilled out" to a size larger than imprinted on the jet?

Have so far been unable to locate a diagram of the pilot circuit for the PWK35 carb.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
02 Apr 2013 21:35 - 02 Apr 2013 23:56 #580283 by Patton
Isn't there a screw to adjust volume of air allowed into the pilot circuit?

If so, maybe it's turned in too much and resulting in an excessively rich pilot circuit.

Could turn the screw out counter=clockwise one full turn and test run for effect.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 02 Apr 2013 23:56 by Patton.