KZ750 N1 Spectre Won't Start

More
25 Mar 2013 03:07 #578680 by jjackson7
Replied by jjackson7 on topic KZ750 N1 Spectre Won't Start
Pilot jets all looked bad but the hole is so tiny it's hard to tell. I'm soaking them in carb cleaner tonight and I'll try to blow them out in the morning. Also, one of the pilot plugs was missing. Not sure if I did that or not, but it's a bummer. Seems crucial to operation. Anyone have a good replacement for those besides going to the dealership or ordering online. There has to be something that can be trimmed and forced to plug that. Calling it a night. Back to the basketcase tomorrow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
25 Mar 2013 03:35 #578681 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic KZ750 N1 Spectre Won't Start
soaking will do no good, get one of those kitchen scrub pads and go to town with that. make sure the o-rings aren't on there.

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
25 Mar 2013 03:37 - 25 Mar 2013 03:38 #578682 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic KZ750 N1 Spectre Won't Start

jjackson7 wrote: Pilot jets all looked bad but the hole is so tiny it's hard to tell. I'm soaking them in carb cleaner tonight and I'll try to blow them out in the morning. Also, one of the pilot plugs was missing. Not sure if I did that or not, but it's a bummer. Seems crucial to operation. Anyone have a good replacement for those besides going to the dealership or ordering online. There has to be something that can be trimmed and forced to plug that. Calling it a night. Back to the basketcase tomorrow.

Be patient with it, be patient with yourself, the cool thing about a tough problem is you learn alot.

I have a Kz1000 A2 that I'm 100% convinced is timed correctly, cams all lined up, excellent compression, and I'm really really good at cleaning carbs so they're good, and the battery is great, yet the bike is not running like it's 'all there' -- the cams are not stock and I was told by the original owner about that but I didn't consider it when I checked timing. I'm now faced with trying to figure out how to check my valve clearances and the timing issues given the fact that it's pretty clear the procedure I followed in the shop manual probably is not quite correct given the (unknown brand of) 'hot cams' I have in my bike.

So maybe you do not have stock cams in there. Not sure if that would explain your symptoms, if your carbs are missing bits and the pilots are clogged you definitely have to get past that.

I was told that if you have aftermarket cams, the valve clearance checks can be different depending on the non-stock cams.

It's not highly likely in your case but since you have been in there and working with the cams, it made me think of my non-stock cams problem on my '78, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker
Last edit: 25 Mar 2013 03:38 by newOld_kz1000.