KZ750 N1 Spectre Won't Start

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
22 Mar 2013 18:27 - 22 Mar 2013 22:57 #578205 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic KZ750 N1 Spectre Won't Start

jjackson7 wrote: Okay. I checked timing by pulling a plug and turning the crank and timing is right. I had the battery on the charger all morning and when I tried to start it again it ignited a couple times (like a weak cough). I'm gonna track down a portable battery jumper and check it out. I'm hoping it's that simple.

Dang good sign there son, good job, unless your rotor is magnetized, you have the type of electrics that requires a healthy battery to run right.

WITH THAT IN MIND, here's a 2-minute way to see if your battery is the problem:

1) you said you've kept the battery charged -- verify it reads at *least* 12.55 volts WITH ONE BATTERY TERMINAL disconnected, ie. measure the battery's voltage *disconnected* from the bike. If you don't yet have at least 12.55volts -- each of the 6 cells puts out 2.1 volts DC if the battery is charged up and not old -- if you don't yet have at least 12.55volts measured on the battery when disconnected from the bike, charge it until it reads AT LEAST 12.55 volts ONE HOUR OR MORE after the charger is removed (the battery always reads higher for a time right after you take it off the charger, so give it 1 hour to 'settle' before you check for 12.55vdc minimum)

2) if the battery reads 12.55vdc minimum, hook it into the bike's + and - terminals.
EDIT: if you charge and charge your battery but you *never* get it to read at least 12.55
volts (it should read, actually, 2.1vdc x 6 cells = 12.6vdc, hence the 12.55vdc
minimum) If you can't charge your battery where it reaches and holds at least 12.55vdc
ONE HOUR *AFTER* YOU HAVE REMOVED IT FROM THE CHARGER, your battery's plates have
lost the ability to provide proper voltage, which happens, batteries don't last
forever, batteries are a "wear item" -- get a new battery and don't waste any time until
the battery is "known good."

3) turn on the key switch but DON'T START IT, don't start the motor, just turn the ignition to 'On'

4) now with the ignition on, engine not running, read the voltage across the battery

5) if it is below 10.5 volts DC that is a problem.

THE ABOVE IS CALLED A "LOAD TEST" for the battery.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker
Last edit: 22 Mar 2013 22:57 by newOld_kz1000.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2013 19:12 #578209 by jjackson7
Replied by jjackson7 on topic KZ750 N1 Spectre Won't Start
i got it to cough again this time after 3 hrs of charging and it happened as soon as i hit the starter button this time. took the batt to o'reilly's. it was at 19%. i'm gonna leave it on the charger for 8hrs and try the load test you recommended. i'm pretty convinced it's the battery and i'll probably end up with a new one tomorrow. thanks for all the advice. i think i've found a new home here.

-Jordan

More
22 Mar 2013 19:23 #578210 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic KZ750 N1 Spectre Won't Start
There's a lot of good information here, many of us have owned Kawasaki's for many years, and can help the "Newbies" when they have problems.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
22 Mar 2013 20:54 #578216 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ750 N1 Spectre Won't Start
You haven't been using a high amperage battery charger have you? Motorcycle batteries need to be charged at 2 amps or less otherwise they won't last. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
22 Mar 2013 21:49 #578226 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic KZ750 N1 Spectre Won't Start

650ed wrote: You haven't been using a high amperage battery charger have you? Motorcycle batteries need to be charged at 2 amps or less otherwise they won't last. Ed

Listen to ed he knows what he is doing, and most of the time what you are doing also- no wonder I have trouble sleeping. little battery little amperage also there is the ground wires and terminal wires. maybe you will even need to fill the battery cells with distilled water if they are not topped up.

More
23 Mar 2013 00:18 #578253 by jjackson7
1 amp charger. Thanks for the info though. I generally by the cheapest thing the first time. I'm going to test in an hour or so. I've had the battery since late last summer and it's not a trickle charger so I have just been plugging it in for a few hours when I've thought about it over that time. Not the best plan but we'll see.

More
23 Mar 2013 14:30 #578325 by jjackson7
Okay the battery passed the load test. Just to be sure I took it to o'reilly's and they tested it. 12.9V full charge. Tried starting fluid again and only got the same cough. So... when I was spraying starting fluid I notice it wasn't really sucking into the carbs. To a small piece of paper towel and held it up to the back of one of the carbs in the airbox and it was blowing out. Then I held it to the exhaust and it sucked the paper towel inward. I may be crazy but that seems backwards. Did I not get the cams set up correctly? Is this a red herring?

More
23 Mar 2013 21:19 #578399 by jjackson7
Took valve cover off and indeed it looks like I was 180 degrees off. Re-installed the camshafts very meticulously and now I'm waiting on the battery to charge again. I'll check compression on all cylinders in a few and try it again.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
23 Mar 2013 21:50 #578411 by donthaveakawman

jjackson7 wrote: Took valve cover off and indeed it looks like I was 180 degrees off. Re-installed the camshafts very meticulously and now I'm waiting on the battery to charge again. I'll check compression on all cylinders in a few and try it again.

180 degrees off? are you sure? the crank rotates 2 times per cam rotation. I am not sure, but if yours has the "non points" ignition you can tap a screwdriver against the magnet and the plug should fire.

More
23 Mar 2013 21:58 #578413 by jjackson7
Well I took the cover off and at 1-4 TDC mark the marks (IN and Z7EX) that should have been parallel with the outside edge of the head were facing inside. When i rotated to the 2-3 TDC mark they were in the right position. So I changed it to what I think is correct. Granted I'm a total noob and may have misinterpreted the situation.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
23 Mar 2013 23:08 - 23 Mar 2013 23:18 #578425 by donthaveakawman
they should be opposite one another, I think it was something like 23 chain links apart between the 45th and 46th pin from the other side. level with the cylinder on either sides.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2013 23:18 by donthaveakawman. Reason: technical error

More
23 Mar 2013 23:24 #578427 by jjackson7
Yeah if the crank rotates twice per cam rev then a full turn on the crank would put the marks to the inside. So I think I just set them the same as they were. Argg. The manual says the IN mark should be set between 45 and 46 pins from the Z7EX mark which points to the 0 pin. I'm grasping at straws here. I still don't understand the air movement thing but maybe that's not such a big deal. I'm going back out to double check compression on all cylinders and make sure I'm getting spark at each. If that is all fine then it has to be fuel. I was thinking the starting fluid would at least get it running for a few seconds if that's the case, but every time I spray it in the airbox while trying to start it just kinda wafts out instead of pulling into the carbs.