De-glazing cylinder walls

More
27 Jun 2006 15:38 #57585 by Jim65
De-glazing cylinder walls was created by Jim65
Pulled the cylinder head, and its in the shop for valve seat refacing. Interesting, all the exhaust valves were becoming more or less "tuliped", while the intake valves and seats looked good. I ended up pulling the cylinders and pistons. I glass beaded the pistons to decarbonize and am ready to deglaze the cylinder walls. I was wondering what deglazing tool you'all would recommend as I have zero experience in this area. I was looking at the "flex hone" and thought someone would have an opinion about it. And yes, I am putting in new rings. Thanks

1981 KZ750E2, 28000 miles

Post edited by: Jim65, at: 2006/06/27 18:40

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2006 17:11 #57599 by steell
Replied by steell on topic De-glazing cylinder walls
Have you measured the bores to ensure they are still within specs?

Seems like lots of peole use the ball hones for deglazing.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/06/27 20:13

KD9JUR

• wireman
  • Visitor
27 Jun 2006 20:11 #57634 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic De-glazing cylinder walls
well its a little too late now,but dont glassbead skirts of pistons.you can glassbead the crowns with no problem but when you glassbead the skirts the glassbeads actually get driven into the aluminum and will do terrible things to your cylinder walls.:S the reason your exhuast valves look more beat up is because they are constantly being heated in combustion chamber and by hot exhuast gases flowing over them.intake valves are cooled by incoming air/fuel.;)

More
28 Jun 2006 12:06 #57786 by Jim65
Replied by Jim65 on topic De-glazing cylinder walls
Thanks for the info, the only thing I blasted was the tops and the ring groves ( I guess this includes a small portions of the skirt). I also plan to use a scotch bright pad to remove any of the left over residue, maybe it will also help to get rid of any embedded glass.

More
28 Jun 2006 12:46 #57798 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic De-glazing cylinder walls
Jim, next time, don't glass bead the piston ring grooves either. These have pretty tight specs. Best way to clean the grooves is to break one of the old rings and use it to scrape the groove (also called a piston lan). I use carb cleaner to cut the carbon in there a bit (I also have lots of carb cleaner) and scrape with the broken ring... this cleans the groove nicely. Once done, you should also measure the depth and groove top to bottom measure as well. Many folks will measure piston diameter but not measure the ring grooves when rebuilding.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
28 Jun 2006 22:24 #57970 by savedrider
Replied by savedrider on topic De-glazing cylinder walls
I've used steel wool on nikasil plated bores in the past with good results.

However, since you are already going through the head and putting in new rings I would possibly think about having the jugs professionally honed. Call around if you have choices as you will most likely get many different prices. I would say anything over $40 for a quick deglaze hone is a rip.

I also agree that you should measure your piston to bore clearance while you are at it too. Have fun!

Post edited by: savedrider, at: 2006/06/29 01:25

Get right or get left! <*{{{><

More
29 Jun 2006 05:58 #58008 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic De-glazing cylinder walls
barrel shape or taper in the cylinder needs to be measured for spec piston to cylinder clearances and ring end gap. A long time ago I once spent 40-60 hours re doing a 900 cleaning, cross hatching ya know just really getting into doing a top end, I re used piston rings from another engine Ifigured it had to be better than what I had....
nope I put a worse smoker together ha!! my buddies really let me have the ribbing and still do at times. oh yeah I have good measuring tools now because of that incident. jeepers!!

More
29 Jun 2006 06:19 #58013 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic De-glazing cylinder walls
TP - I have micrometers, digital calipers and tee bore gauges. Most of the stuff is low end and I would like to be able to measure cylinder bores and piston diameters with precision. Also would like to be able to measure inside diameter of guides better... I also intend to get some sort of dial guage as I seem to only work on bikes where someone has SLIGHTLY bent valves... Please make some recommendations for some good bore gauges and a dial guage. I think my calipers and micrometers are OK but wonder how good my tee gauges can work or if you have suggestions on better types of measuring tools, I am very interested. I am thinking that when I get some money, that stuff might be on my buy list. Although I generally work on carburetors, I am now rebuilding about 10-15 engines a year for some reason and the cylinder bore to piston clearance, ring groove depths and guide roundness/diameter and valve straightness is kind of critical to get real close. I am also thinking about some machine stuff... like a good cylinder hone and valve grinder set up as I now have to drive to another shop to get this stuff done and it is a time waster.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
29 Jun 2006 08:53 #58050 by steell
Replied by steell on topic De-glazing cylinder walls
You can't go wrong with Mitutoyo brand measuring tools.
Check out the Bore Gauge at www.goodson.com/ , you can spend all day drooling over the engine rebuilding tools they have available :)

$128.99 at Goodson tools

Watch out WG, before you know it you will be shopping for a vertical mill, then you will want a lathe, then a tool cutter grinder, then something else that would just be so nice to have, it turns into a never ending quest and eats up every bit of floor space :D

Being a tool freak just gets to be so expensive :(

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/06/29 12:03

KD9JUR
Attachments:

More
29 Jun 2006 09:20 #58058 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic De-glazing cylinder walls
I'm diving into mine next week and doing all the same stuff. Keep us posted. AlsoWG you should build some motors for us. I'm sure you could give us all a sweet deal! ;) KZ crate motors-KA CHING$$$$

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• wireman
  • Visitor
29 Jun 2006 09:42 #58063 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic De-glazing cylinder walls
donthekawguy wrote:

I'm diving into mine next week and doing all the same stuff. Keep us posted. AlsoWG you should build some motors for us. I'm sure you could give us all a sweet deal! ;) KZ crate motors-KA CHING$$$$

ive seen one of his motors in action brand new made 3/4 of a turn and started!;) he should be building motors for great biker buildoff,their motors never start!:P :P

More
29 Jun 2006 12:36 #58110 by skippr76KZ
Replied by skippr76KZ on topic De-glazing cylinder walls
OK....I've been sitting on this, but I second the notion George does great engine work. With or without new tools. It may blow up tomorrow - but I was pretty impressed that my engine restarted on the first crank after 18 years. View the actual video of it's re-birth here: B)

That's my voice but the video compression made it sound worse than it is! :blink:

1976 KZ900LTD Fully Restored
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone