changed rings and still wont start?

More
29 Dec 2012 11:28 #565065 by andyvr4
Replied by andyvr4 on topic changed rings and still wont start?
I bought a spring compressor , valve lapping tool and valve grinding compound. Just waiting on the two new valves

1983 kz750 Ltd 4 cyl.

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
29 Dec 2012 11:54 #565069 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic changed rings and still wont start?
Do you have the Service Manual for your bike? if so open it up to the engine rebuild section and look at the specs for the valve guides and valve seats. Also look at Installed height, and valve spring specs. Just lapping a New Valve into a Worn Seat is Not recommended. If it works for you great, but before you make that call, check the seats out thoroughly. Better to have the seats machined, and if it needs valve guides, those changed out. They get changed first and then the seats re-cut to true them up.
Don't forget the Valve Stem Oil Seals, replace them.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
29 Dec 2012 13:28 #565078 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic changed rings and still wont start?
When I saw the light, that valve was bent. You are ahead to replace it with a new one, since it will never be straight again.

:ohmy:

1982 KZ1100-A2

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
29 Dec 2012 16:49 #565090 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic changed rings and still wont start?
if i were you id send it out. im also a mechanic however i do not do machine work beyond brackets etc. it will save you head ache because with a new valve and old valve seat you could run into clearance issues. theres a range these have to be within for a set range of shims. its much easier and economic to send it to a reputable head guy as theres people on here and around that can do this work in there sleep for less money than your gonna waste in time alone dicking around scratching your head. just my opinion take it with a grain of salt.

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

More
23 Apr 2013 20:30 #583762 by andyvr4
Replied by andyvr4 on topic changed rings and still wont start?
I ended up lapping them myself and came out awesome runs great now

1983 kz750 Ltd 4 cyl.

Andy