changed rings and still wont start?

More
22 Dec 2012 10:16 #564032 by andyvr4
changed rings and still wont start? was created by andyvr4
Hi ive changed my headmaster to stop an oil peak to and assembled and then had no compression and disassembled it again yesterday to find #2 secondary ring was in 4 pieces. So bought all new rings and assembled and still wont start. Timing is spot on and valve clearance I still have to do, but not sure how or the measurements? And my battery is new and wont hold charge for long.

1983 kz750 Ltd 4 cyl.

Andy
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2012 17:19 - 22 Dec 2012 17:21 #564103 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic changed rings and still wont start?
Check compression.

If low, check valve timing and clearances.

I think the factory manuals are posted here. If not, you really need to get one.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 22 Dec 2012 17:21 by bountyhunter.

More
22 Dec 2012 19:16 #564118 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic changed rings and still wont start?
We need a little more info here. Thats like asking "my car won't start what's my problem." Could be anything, electrical fuel, mechanical, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
22 Dec 2012 20:22 #564135 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic changed rings and still wont start?
Agreed.

This part made me wonder:

Hi ive changed my headmaster to stop an oil peak to and assembled and then had no compression

No compression on any cylinder?

Makes me think the valve timing might have been off...... if so, bent valves will cause the no compression symptom.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
22 Dec 2012 21:08 - 22 Dec 2012 21:09 #564141 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic changed rings and still wont start?

andyvr4 wrote: Hi ive changed my headmaster to stop an oil peak to and assembled and then had no compression and disassembled it again yesterday to find #2 secondary ring was in 4 pieces. So bought all new rings and assembled and still wont start. Timing is spot on and valve clearance I still have to do, but not sure how or the measurements? And my battery is new and wont hold charge for long.

You were able to rebuild your engine but you don't know how to check valve clearances and don't have the specs? How were you able to rebuild the engine without a manual or specs for such things as cylinder head bolt torque, tightening order, cam shaft timing, etc.? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 22 Dec 2012 21:09 by 650ed.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
22 Dec 2012 21:25 #564146 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic changed rings and still wont start?
What timing marks are you using on the cams?
Did you crank the motor or install the tensioner before installing the valve cover?
Im not sure about the 750s but on the 1000/1100 j series motors theres a guide built into the valve cover that needs to be mounted before the tensioner on back of cylinder B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
22 Dec 2012 21:38 #564151 by andyvr4
Replied by andyvr4 on topic changed rings and still wont start?
I went to test it and gauge is bad need new one, but has brand new rings as of yesterday. I'm just wondering what else I should check. Bike ran before head gasket replacement. I have the manual but not with me its at my shop.

1983 kz750 Ltd 4 cyl.

Andy

More
22 Dec 2012 21:48 #564156 by andyvr4
I never touched the tensioner when doing the work. I thought mine was automatic?

1983 kz750 Ltd 4 cyl.

Andy

More
23 Dec 2012 21:06 #564365 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic changed rings and still wont start?
OK, how did you manage to replace the rings and not touch the tensioner. It's starting sound like you installed something wrong.

More
23 Dec 2012 22:44 #564403 by andyvr4
I checked compression 0.... on the gauge but is pushing air. Put oil in the cylinder and still 0. But was shooting the oil out. So not the rings. I believe its something to do with the valves or tensioner. Yes I replaced rings without touching tensioner..

1983 kz750 Ltd 4 cyl.

Andy

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
23 Dec 2012 23:26 #564410 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic changed rings and still wont start?
Put it on #1 TDC compression stroke and put some compressed air to the plug hole. Listen to where it all escapes, and see if it holds anything. If you pull the valve cover, take your camera, get some pictures of the camshaft gears in relation to the gasket surface, and also the right hand end/ #4 the Lobes and the gasket surface. Then we can see if the cam timing is close/ correct.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
23 Dec 2012 23:27 #564411 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic changed rings and still wont start?
sometimes the teflon o-rings need to be oiled and cleaned.