oil leak. need help

More
22 Sep 2012 03:01 #550226 by kzcafer
oil leak. need help was created by kzcafer
I have a 82 kz1100 shaft drive.. the head gasket is leaking along with the valve cover gasket.. I have ordered the new gasket kit and just waiting.. is this common for these bikes to leak. I have seen just as many post about oil leaks as I have Carb tuning issues... also does anyone have the tourque specs for the head and valve cover .. thanks in advance..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2012 03:21 - 22 Sep 2012 03:22 #550227 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic oil leak. need help
I don't have the official spec for your engine but the head torque ballpark is about 25 - 30 ft-pounds for head nuts with regular Kawi studs, a shade higher with APE studs.

The small cover bolts spec at about 100 INCH-POUND ballpark but 60 - 70 I-P is probably a better number IMHO.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 22 Sep 2012 03:22 by bountyhunter.

More
22 Sep 2012 05:12 #550228 by Cuff
Replied by Cuff on topic oil leak. need help
Ya, they leak some times. From what I can tell it's just the nature of the beast. I'm with bountyhunter on the cover bolts, easy does it. Some times the more you torque the more problems you get with gaskets.

More
22 Sep 2012 10:38 #550255 by kzcafer
Replied by kzcafer on topic oil leak. need help
Yea. Well maybe some good gasket sealant with new gaskets will help. Thanks

More
22 Sep 2012 16:38 #550282 by Cuff
Replied by Cuff on topic oil leak. need help
If you use a sealant witht the gaskets let it set up a while before final torque. And make sure you seat the cam end plugs well so you don't end up with hot oil running down your leg like I did. ;-)

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
22 Sep 2012 19:30 #550300 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic oil leak. need help
There are ways for your valve cover gasket to leak oil onto your air cooling fins and look like the head gasket is leaking. Your best bet is to redo the valve cover gasket. It is no joke resetting your cams will be a problem if you don't know what you are getting into with the head gasket.

More
23 Sep 2012 09:44 #550372 by kzcafer
they are definetly both leaking.. i have order the gasket kit and will have a guy that knows these bikes better than me put them on.. also need him to rebuild the forks... the seals are gone or the forks are empty.. i have no from suspension... thanks

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
23 Sep 2012 18:57 #550463 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic oil leak. need help
well i had the same problem with mine and i had oil all down the side of the engine under the head not the front or the back so much, new valve cover gasket and half round rubber plug seals now there is no problem. check the valve clearance while you are in there and dont break any bolts, have a small torch for the stuck ones to heat the metal around them.

the forks are a pain if you don't have the right tool.
-with my ltd air filler forks i used compressed air to blow the oil out of the bottom of the forks.
-i unscrewed the whole top of the fork not the air filler parts.
- i used a wrench end of a spark plug socket and a bunch of extensions to get the inside of the fork with a allen on the bottom outside
-unthreaded it, cleaned it, then reassembled it
-measured the oil in a garage only measuring cup
-filled oiled them then put the tops back on. that is a basic outline of the fork seals repair don't forget to change them and you will have to pull the forks off there and don't damage them.

More
23 Sep 2012 19:20 #550468 by kzcafer
Thanks.. I think I'm gonna have a guy that my buddy knows do all of it.. he has a bunch of kzs. That way it gets done correctly

More
26 Sep 2012 08:22 #550948 by DanielTaylor
Replied by DanielTaylor on topic oil leak. need help
Just wait for a new gasket to come and replace the old one. It is completely common in all bikes. No need to worry. Just replace the gasket. The issue will be solve then.

More
28 Sep 2012 17:21 #551431 by kzcafer
has anyone replaced the headgasket.. im very mechanically inclined but have been told that i can very easily mess up the timming if i dont do it correctly.. the cam cover gasket looks fairly easy but i just dont want to screw this up.. any help would be great thanks

More
30 Sep 2012 11:50 #551668 by havakaw
Replied by havakaw on topic oil leak. need help
I got the same bike.The El Cheapo paper gaskets last about a year,then the heat and oil deteriorate them to nothing.If you are going to do the actual head gasket,there are 2 of them,it's a split unit.There is a large rubber "O"-ring in the center.Might as well do the base gasket while you are in it.If the Compression is low,have the jugs Mic'ed up.You may be able to get away with a light hone and Standard size replacement rings.Don't forget about the 2 base(block to jug)O-rings.Ther are 2 slots to insert a screwdriver to split the block from the cases.Re-setting the cams can be a HUGE P.I.T.A.!!!While the head is off,pull the valves appart and replace the seals with The Viton type.Do a litle hand lapping to reseat them.And get some block off plates for the A.S.S. (Air suction system).It's junk and will make carb tuning a NIGHTMARE.Don't forget new exhaust gaskets.So,best advice to you is to:Spray down the motor with Engine Cleaner,dry it off,then shake on some baby powder and ride it in the 5-5500 rpm range for 5-10 miles if you can in 5th.That should show where the oil is leaking from.GOOD LUCK!!!

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)