oil leak. need help

More
30 Sep 2012 20:28 #551742 by kzcafer
Replied by kzcafer on topic oil leak. need help
thank you i will try the baby powder trick...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 Sep 2012 23:41 #551782 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic oil leak. need help

kzcafer wrote: has anyone replaced the headgasket.. im very mechanically inclined but have been told that i can very easily mess up the timming if i dont do it correctly.. the cam cover gasket looks fairly easy but i just dont want to screw this up.. any help would be great thanks

Download the pdf version of the factory manual in my signature. It will have the procedure for each assembly. Look at the cam chain tensioner, it is the cross wedge design. You need to remove the cross wedge for re-install of the valve cover.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
01 Oct 2012 21:16 #551877 by havakaw
Replied by havakaw on topic oil leak. need help
Front fork oil and seal replacement is fairly easy.First make sure there is no air in the system,then open the small screw at the bottom side of each one.If there is air in there,it will send the screw across the garage and spew a stream of oil across what ever is next to the bike too..A 3/8 allen tool will loosen up the bolt at the bottom of the fork.If it's really tight,or just spins without losening,you may need to get an impact driver just for the speed.Once that is out,you can un thread the top caps,and the lower legs will drop down.Of course the calipers,speedo hookup and tire are off at this point.Progressive offers a replacement spring set,along with a rear shock set for a reasonable ammout of coin.You can replace the seals with stock units for cheap.10w fork oil works good with about 15# of air.Not a bad job for an OK ammout of $$$ and you got a new suspension.

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)

More
01 Oct 2012 21:27 #551879 by kzcafer
Replied by kzcafer on topic oil leak. need help
Thanks. That doesn't seem too bad.. I might try to do this

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
09 Oct 2012 17:33 #553310 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic oil leak. need help
i have noticed a lot of the crap running down on the side of my motor is from the exhaust leaking.