V & H Sidewinder Megaphone *REPAIR*

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
02 Nov 2012 11:07 #556786 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic Vance & Hines Sidewinder Problem
WOW!! What a way to make a customer happy. Ok, it's time to move on with this repair on your own.
I'm with ZukDave on this one. I thought I posted these pics in your thread, but I found them in a header comparison thread down the hall.
Their response about the rubber isolator kind of blew the factory rubber mount theory to he!!.
First off, the point of repair will need to be stripped of all ceramic. I'm sure you know this, but I will state it for GP. Don't grind the ceramic off, blast it off, or chemical strip it. You want the pipe as slick as it is now so the coating will look uniform once you re coat it.
Once stripped, carefully remove the factory mount by cutting through the welds just enough to get the mount off. Then dress the welds down to the pipe surface, being careful not to nick the pipe outside the area you will be mounting the sub plate. Ceramic isn't a high build type coating like regular high heat paint is. You're only dealing with a .001-.0015 thick coating so it doesn't hide imperfections very well.
I'd go with the same thickness plate as the mounting tab that you are going to use. 14 ga. would work well. The one on it looks like 12 ga just looking at the pic. The megaphone should be 18ga. Like ZukDave mentioned two gauges thicker would be 14ga.
Here is a pic of how Bassani did theirs back in the day. All the mounting tabs and the sub plate are brazed on. Hope this helps and gets you back in the game.

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4TheKZ1000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
02 Nov 2012 15:18 #556820 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Vance & Hines Sidewinder Problem

Zedone wrote: 4, Are you running struts? I'm thinking that all the road vibes your picking up (without rear shocks) may be contributing to your problem.
Maybe you can install a rubber heatproof grommet at the frame, the kind like on our battery boxes, rear tail, ect. I'm surprised the V&H dude didn't even ask you about it. I have not heard of many issues with the sidewinders failing.... its usually the V&H megaphone pipes that have fitment issues (major as of late). :(

Crappy customer service for the amount of money that company hauls in. :blink:

this was well thought out....as the bike before I got it was a strut bike and road like a steam roller....I bet that megaphone took a beating at the mount.....this really made complete sence to me.

More
02 Nov 2012 21:22 #556851 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Vance & Hines Sidewinder Problem
Did you ask how much a new collector was? Were you talking to California or Indiana ?

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
02 Nov 2012 21:32 #556857 by 4TheKZ1000

APE Jay wrote: Did you ask how much a new collector was? Were you talking to California or Indiana ?

I did ask if it was repair or replace...he said to re-weld the collector and go.

Well its a Ohio bike. I know the header is 10+ years old as I have seen pictures dated to that time....and that the bike had been beat on hard by the last owner. I think header held up good for a strut bike and poor mounting. The repair should give me another 10 after welding.

I have a bead on a X pipe....tring to work out deal on it.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
02 Nov 2012 22:14 #556865 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Vance & Hines Sidewinder Problem
When you go to reinstall it make sure the meg is loose where it attaches to header then tighten that clamp last so you dont put the header in a bind causing it to break at its weak link which happened to be the rear mount,Id also make sure motor mounts dont have any play in them B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
07 Jan 2013 18:23 - 08 May 2013 00:16 #566250 by 4TheKZ1000
Well
Last edit: 08 May 2013 00:16 by 4TheKZ1000.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
07 Jan 2013 21:07 #566266 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Vance & Hines Sidewinder Problem

Attachment 0511_0904_0419_5851_Boy_Enjoying_Popcorn_while_Watching_a_Movie_clipart_image-ee02bb8d3d555abdcaf9f3504927dbce_2013-01-07.jpg not found

B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

More
07 Jan 2013 23:53 #566299 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Vance & Hines Sidewinder Problem
I just noticed mines cracking also.
I was going to look up this thread tonight.

After looking at how mines cracking I'm
thinking it's frame flex causing them to crack.
Under power the motors moving around and twisting
the hard mount megaphone clockwise tearing the mount.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2013 00:39 #566307 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic V & H Sidewinder Megaphone *REPAIR*
Well .... welcome to the crack party Dave....

The material that these are made out of is way to thin....dont know if they did it to save weight or they were cheep as hell....so cheep as hell is my thoughts.

I would say that this weld area failed in a high percentage under testing. Its a shame that they arent built to last.

When I talked to V&H they knew of the problem. One year with receipt please was their answer.... :angry:

Thats ok, I can fix mine since I choose to go black....but if you have a chrome one....then you might be a bit pissed off hacking up the chrome and having rust issues afterwords.

More
08 Jan 2013 01:30 #566324 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Vance & Hines Sidewinder Problem

And -- significantly enhances ride quality by eliminating transfer of muffler vibration to frame.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
08 Jan 2013 02:15 #566327 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic V & H Sidewinder Megaphone *REPAIR*
Patton, definately the way i think of doing it, anything solid and rubber works, old car radiator mounts, stock mount etc.

I personally dont know why vance and hines doesnt recommend, frame flex alone would put strain in that area that nobody could honestly ever be able to notice

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2013 12:10 - 08 May 2013 00:17 #566354 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic V & H Sidewinder Megaphone *REPAIR*
The finished product.....not the best look with large plate, but fixed for good.

Will have it Ceramic Coated again... B)
Last edit: 08 May 2013 00:17 by 4TheKZ1000.