Kz900: Stock Bore - High Compression Pistons

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
10 Sep 2012 23:23 #547942 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Kz900: Stock Bore - High Compression Pistons

kawasaki mike wrote: Les I have a question for you as you seem very knowledgable on these kz's. Checking valve clearances is it better or more accurate to check the clearance 180 degrees opposite peak lobe hight or about 45 degrees after the valve comes back in its upward rotation? Some say check at opposite position from deepest position. What is your take on this. I am running 6 thousanths and 4 thousanths exhaust and intake. Figure it is better to hear them than smell them.

I check them at 180 myself B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2012 15:40 #548037 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic Kz900: Stock Bore - High Compression Pistons
I use a dial indicator and make sure I am on the base circle. It doesn't matter where on the base circle you are, as long as you are on it. Just my .02

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

• kawasaki mike
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
11 Sep 2012 18:57 #548082 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic Kz900: Stock Bore - High Compression Pistons
Thanks Corey. I figured as soon as the lobe passed,the critical gap should be immediately after that because if that clearance isn't in spec a spit shim would happen right there. The rest of the ramp is of no matter as you are past the point of spitting the shim. I have stock cams so there is no worry anyway unless I had 8 or 10 thousands anyway. Does this sound mechanically coherent to you? I have run as much a 7 thousandths on exhaust in Las Vegas where the engine runs alot warmer than other parts of the country. I am anal about such stuff. Thanks for your input.

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.

• kawasaki mike
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
11 Sep 2012 19:02 #548083 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic Kz900: Stock Bore - High Compression Pistons
I owe alot of that to Scott from S&K racing in Dayton, Ohio. He is anal about the right x patern in the cylinders,the right grit, the proper boring plate and the exact ring gaps. He even said taht 105 hp is the most I could possibly get with a perfect tune-up and everything perfect. So, I am pleased as hell. Thanks for your input.

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.

More
11 Sep 2012 19:21 #548086 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Kz900: Stock Bore - High Compression Pistons

kawasaki mike wrote: I owe alot of that to Scott from S&K racing in Dayton, Ohio. He is anal about the right x patern in the cylinders,the right grit, the proper boring plate and the exact ring gaps. He even said taht 105 hp is the most I could possibly get with a perfect tune-up and everything perfect. So, I am pleased as hell. Thanks for your input.

Do you know what dyno you were running? 105 seems very good for a 1015!

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
11 Sep 2012 20:37 #548107 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic Kz900: Stock Bore - High Compression Pistons
That sounds "sound" to me. Air cooled engines are more susceptible to increased heat saturation of the metal components from ambient temps. This means the expansion of the components is greater than a more temperature stable liquid cooled engine. Now this isn't a huge difference, but might warrant someone who mostly rides in very high temps to give a thou or so in the exhaust lash. When you look at the lash range from the factory, they most likely (don't know for sure) have a safety factor built in to account for tolerance and owner neglect to prevent shim spitting on shim over bucket configurations. I think your OK if you opened it up a thousandth or so, but I would be careful to not go too far. When in doubt, follow the factory guidelines. Just my .02, but what the H#&^ do I know!

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
More
17 Sep 2012 07:04 #549189 by Bozo
Hi, K Mike, just read this section (I'm slowly catching up with the forums), 105 sounds good you have a great engine. Previously I mentioned I ride with a guy the has hot Web cams (underbucket shims) huge sunk into the head valves, 1200 MTC pistons 38mm racing carbs, porting etc and he is getting 98 at the wheel. My scoot doesn't have anywhere the mods (and I'm porkier) and we're pretty level on go (I didn't / won't dyno mine).
How does your bike compare to some new hardware - just curious.

Sorry if this is off the topic guys.

First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as FJ above)

More
18 Sep 2012 23:53 #549604 by LarryC
Dyno comparisons are a waste of time.

Larry C.

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
More
19 Sep 2012 04:58 #549632 by Bozo
I have to agree, since no dyno test is the same. As you might've noticed I wrote "didn't/ won't dyno mine" for that very reason, I prefer the seat of pants approach (drag your mate).
That said if you use the same dyno for tuning you can monitor gains/ loses better.

First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as FJ above)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
19 Sep 2012 21:20 #549747 by LarryC

Bozo wrote: I have to agree, since no dyno test is the same. As you might've noticed I wrote "didn't/ won't dyno mine" for that very reason, I prefer the seat of pants approach (drag your mate).
That said if you use the same dyno for tuning you can monitor gains/ loses better.

That and you can tune to make a dyno happy and loose ET & MPH at the drag strip. It's neat to have a number to look at but it's better when the number is reflective of something meaningful and comparable to the real world.

Larry C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman